Missouri State at ORU

theeagleman5

Good Guys lose game one....8-2...ouch!  :shield-logo:

Looks like Missouri State is up 13-0 over ORU in the fourth inning of game two, today. 

In my 30+ years around ORU, I can't ever recall being run-ruled at home. It probably has happened at some point, but I don't ever recall it. 

This is a shameful effort at JLJ....looks like it's going to be a loooooong season.....wait until ORU gets to LSU.....ugh.....🤮

Good Guys rallied with an 8 run 5th but fell short, 14-11 to Missouri St....fall to 1-3 with South Alabama coming in this weekend. 22 runs in 2 games for the Bears....thats not good....⚾😵⚾

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

soooooo..... we suck?

It's still very early, but the seven errors in four games (compared to one for our opponents), leading to five unearned runs is very concerning.

ORU has one of the least physically-imposing lineups I think I’ve ever seen in 40 years of watching top-level college baseball. 

Not that they can’t hit or anything like that; they’re just really small compared to their opponents so far!

Missouri State has some big ol’ boys, and it showed at the plate. They really hit the ball hard the past two days.

Here’s hoping ORU is able to get everything possible out of this roster; because it appears that anything short of peak performance simply might not be enough against the literal big boys on their schedule this year. 

Hello,

I'm a 92'  graduate. I have been coaching high school baseball at a very successful private school in Northwest Houston the last 14 years. I know the stigma with Christian or private schools when it comes to the competition level. Let me just say last year (2019-2020) before we were shut down because of Covid-19 we beat #1 ranked 5A public school Santa Fe High School, We beat 5A Public School Friendswood HS (Izaac Pacheco #9 ranked player), and finished the weekend with a win over 5A public school Alvin High school. We also played in the Ferrell  Classic Public School Tournament and here were the results: we lost to 5A public school Klein Oak 2-1, Tied 5A public school Klein 9-9, Defeated 5A public school Klein Collins 9-2, and 5A public school Houston Heights 11-1 

We had two D1 Commits. (Baylor and Louisiana Lafayette) We also have past players playing at Sam Houston State and Louisiana Tech. I contacted the ORU coaching staff about all of these players. I didn't even receive a reply back. We also had five players from last year who are playing at lower levels. I also contacted the coaching staff about a player who played for us who was the MVP for Tyler Junior College and the Junior College most valuable player. He is now the closer for Ole Miss. I had to reach out to them three times before they replied back to me. They new of the kid but never addressed why they didn't contact him. 

Their are many top level players in Private Christian schools that ORU never even reaches out to. We played last night with 20 scouts in the stands. I guess my frustration is that ORU has a distinct advantage being a Christian University. They should be in touch with every top Christian School program in America. There is no Excuse! They should be reaching out to alumni, for leads. As an alumni, I'm always trying to lead kids to ORU. When the coaching staff doesn't even reply back, it makes it tough.

Frustrated in Texas!

Edited by elroy92
spelling
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, elroy92 said:

We had two D1 Commits. (Baylor and Louisiana Lafayette) We also have past players playing at Sam Houston State and Louisiana Tech. I contacted the ORU coaching staff about all of these players. I didn't even receive a reply back. We also had five players from last year who are playing at lower levels. I also contacted the coaching staff about a player who played for us who was the MVP for Tyler Junior College and the Junior College most valuable player. He is now the closer for Ole Miss. I had to reach out to them three times before they replied back to me. They new of the kid but never addressed why they didn't contact him. 

Their are many top level players in Private Christian schools that ORU never even reaches out to. We played last night with 20 scouts in the stands. I guess my frustration is that ORU has a distinct advantage being a Christian University. They should be in touch with every top Christian School program in America. There is no Excuse! They should be reaching out to alumni, for leads. As an alumni, I'm always trying to lead kids to ORU. When the coaching staff doesn't even reply back, it makes it tough.

Frustrated in Texas!

This sounds... not great.

15 minutes ago, elroy92 said:

Hello,

I'm a 92'  graduate. I have been coaching high school baseball at a very successful private school in Northwest Houston the last 14 years. I know the stigma with Christian or private schools when it comes to the competition level. Let me just say last year (2019-2020) before we were shut down because of Covid-19 we beat #1 ranked 5A public school Santa Fe High School, We beat 5A Public School Friendswood HS (Izaac Pacheco #9 ranked player), and finished the weekend with a win over 5A public school Alvin High school. We also played in the Ferrell  Classic Public School Tournament and here were the results: we lost to 5A public school Klein Oak 2-1, Tied 5A public school Klein 9-9, Defeated 5A public school Klein Collins 9-2, and 5A public school Houston Heights 11-1 

Frustrated in Texas!

I'm glad you posted this. I have been critical but have stopped short of saying much of the things I know about MANY coaches/administrators within the ORU athletic department, for fear of it sounding like too many sour grapes, due to my situation that happened a couple of years back.

That said, you have hit the nail on the head about more than just baseball.

2 hours ago, elroy92 said:

Hello,

Frustrated in Texas!

Incredibly frustrating from a fan and alumnus point of view.  Considering ORU's budget constraints, it seems unfathomable that coaches in ALL programs are not doing exactly as this coach describes. particularly since there are so many powerhouse private Christian schools in Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Arkansas.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree with what is being stated here.  Our programs have issues and it appears that we continue to give passes to the coaching staffs and really have no expectations whatsoever.  I am a proud alum of this University and purposefully chose to attend it over others.  I want us to succeed and if we are not trying to recruit private Christian schools then that is so wrong on so many levels.  BTW, cudos to elroy92 for his post.