Worst contract in the NFL

Otis 83

Eagleman, I say it is a toss up between Carson Wentz and Ezekiel Elliot. I went back and forth all season. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Otis...I just saw this post.....uh...the Wentz deal turned out to be horrible for the Eagles who will absorb a $34 mill cap hit in 2021 after the trade to Indy....Zeke has declined a bit but can still play and a lot of his issues could be due to the lousy O Line in Big D....Wentz' deal is worse....but now it's the Colts' problem.....likely it will be renegotiated in 2022.....TheEagleman always loved Carson and wish him no ill will but it's highly doubtful that he becomes a star in Indy.....he will need to change some practice habits and attitudes for that to happen.....also apparently he wasn't the greatest leader in the locker room/huddle....he's not a problem at all just not a "take charge" guy......looking forward to seeing what Jalen Hurts can do with the Eagles in 2021....if they draft another QB at #6 in the draft I wouldn't be real happy....take a WR, or the OT from Oregon, the TE from Florida or even the CB from Alabama.....The Eagles have soooo many holes....just take SEC players in every round please....😉

Jalen Hurts is exceeding my expectations so far.  Hopefully he can become the Eagles' version of Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, or Russell Wilson.  Asking him to be Patrick Mahomes would be unfair. 

Mahomes he ain't....but he could be decent....plus from all accounts he is a leader of men and a wonderful locker room influence....TheEagleman is all for letting Hurts have the reins in 2021 to see what he can do....that said....can't expect more than 5 or 6 wins from the Birds this season....the NFC East still very weak but the Washington Defense gives them a leg up....Dak back in Dallas makes them dangerous also....🤠

We have a new leader --- Jerry got fleeced.....again

Dak ain't bringing Jerry a Lombardi......Jerry should have saved the 160 million, let Dak walk, trade up from 10 and swing for a cheap franchise QB (Fields, Lance, or Jones)

Jerry just insured 4 more years of NFL mediocrity....just good enough to make the playoffs, but there's no way they will win it all. 

Excellent analysis, Alum...Dak is a good QB but not $40 mill a year good....I respect the guy....and he is a leader of men....but the cap hit for 4 yrs is gonna hurt....agree they would have been better of drafting a young guy this year...Trey Lance would have been dangerous...🏈

On 3/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry Otis...I just saw this post.....uh...the Wentz deal turned out to be horrible for the Eagles who will absorb a $34 mill cap hit in 2021 after the trade to Indy....Zeke has declined a bit but can still play and a lot of his issues could be due to the lousy O Line in Big D....Wentz' deal is worse....but now it's the Colts' problem.....likely it will be renegotiated in 2022.....TheEagleman always loved Carson and wish him no ill will but it's highly doubtful that he becomes a star in Indy.....he will need to change some practice habits and attitudes for that to happen.....also apparently he wasn't the greatest leader in the locker room/huddle....he's not a problem at all just not a "take charge" guy......looking forward to seeing what Jalen Hurts can do with the Eagles in 2021....if they draft another QB at #6 in the draft I wouldn't be real happy....take a WR, or the OT from Oregon, the TE from Florida or even the CB from Alabama.....The Eagles have soooo many holes....just take SEC players in every round please....😉

No worries on the delay Eagleman.  I'm just now able to get back to this thread myself.  I respect your analysis and have always admired your objectivity.  I wish my cousins from Bucks County were capable of the same!

Not sure all of Zeke's struggles can be laid at the feet of the offensive line.  I predict that for the remainder of his career his yards per carry and yards per game will decline at a pretty sharp percentage.  He's lost his burst and frankly, I never saw him as a hard worker and high character guy which I feel you need to maintain your edge when your physical skills are in decline.  Jerry should have franchised him twice and let him go.

I wish Carson nothing but the best with Indianapolis.  I consider Reich to be a high character guy.  If anyone has a chance to straighten Wentz out it is him.

At least you guys don't have to deal with trying to get Big Ben to realize he should have retired about 3 or 4 years ago.

LOL....yeah, Ben needs to move on....hey Otis....we live in Bucks County, too....😁

On 3/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, ORUalum said:

Jerry just insured 4 more years of NFL mediocrity....just good enough to make the playoffs, but there's no way they will win it all. 

Given that Jerry has provided us 25 years of mediocrity that’s not exactly a bold prediction. 

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, ORUalum said:

We have a new leader --- Jerry got fleeced.....again

Dak ain't bringing Jerry a Lombardi......Jerry should have saved the 160 million, let Dak walk, trade up from 10 and swing for a cheap franchise QB (Fields, Lance, or Jones)

ORUAlum,  I have been waiting 10 months to write you and tell you how wrong you were about Dak.  Sadly, you nailed it.  He's a great guy by all accounts but he is not an elite QB.  I thought he might be but he is not.  He is inaccurate with the ball.  He holds onto the ball too long.  Apparently he doesn't know the rules and realize the the referee must touch the ball before you hike it (although I blame that more on our idiot OC).  A terribly disappointing end to the season and I have no hope for better days ahead.

Despite what the pundits say, the offensive line is mediocre at best.  Other than Zach Martin, none of them are close to elite.  Zeke is continuing the downhill slide I predicted when he signed the contract.  Really other than Micah Parsons and the punter the entire team is mediocre.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, Otis 83 said:

Given that Jerry has provided us 25 years of mediocrity that’s not exactly a bold prediction. 

every frustrated Cowboy fan...he nails Jones and the Cowboy hype machine.   

15 hours ago, ORUalum said:

every frustrated Cowboy fan...he nails Jones and the Cowboy hype machine.   

100%.  The emphasis is on the brand and making money regardless of what the Jones family says. 

Those who don't torture themselves by following this team may be puzzled by the East/West orientation of the stadium.  Why isn't AT&T stadium built on a North/South orientation like 99.9% of the football stadiums in America?  During the halftime show, after Cedric Wilson couldn't see the pass thrown to him buy Prescott, Boomer Esiason asked “Who spends over a billion dollars and builds a field East and West?”

It wasn't a mistake.  It is by design.  From dallasnews.com (I added the bold print in the last sentence.

In 2016, Bryan Trubey, the executive vice president of sports and entertainment for HKS, the Dallas-based architectural firm that designed AT&T Stadium, told The Dallas Morning News that the sun issues don’t stem from a building flaw in the stadium.

“That stadium was developed as part of a master plan,” Trubey said. “That master plan will play out some day and the alignment between the stadium and the ballpark is one of the key elements to the entire master plan.

“So when we were laying out the stadium one thing we wanted to do was make sure the end zones were completely open. It was one of the keys to making sure the stadium did something that no other stadium has ever done before or done since. It transforms from an indoor, 80,000-seat arena to what feels like an outdoor stadium.

“That’s the reason the end zones are open and the orientation is the way it is because that’s the absolute best alignment to play out the final master plan and in creating the most value in the land around the stadium itself.”

The Jones family values real estate development over the success of the football team.  They have curtains for that end zone.  They use them during concerts.  Apparently Jerry doesn't like the way it looks.  Maybe Gene Jones is afraid the sun will fade the paint on her art collection. 

The Cowboys won the toss didn't they?  Knowing what they know about this Mickey Mouse stadium design why wouldn't you pick the end zone you want to defend based on the sun in the second quarter?  I guess they were too worried about trying to outsmart themselves with cute plays following the fake punt or the final quarterback draw. 

A failure at every level of the organization - Ownership, Coaches and Players. 

Dak says "good on them"  for the fans who threw garbage at the officials.  The garbage should have been aimed at Dak for not knowing the rules and/or the coaches for a) calling that stupid play or b) not practicing it in such a way that our QB knew he needed to slide earlier and find an official. 

• Upvote 1

Just 2 cents from an Eagles' Fan.....we also had a disappointing end to the 2021 season so i am not going to rub it in.....but my thoughts are that Dak Prescott is a decent quarterback and a strong leader of men.....however, agree he was surely NOT worth $160 million and the strain on the Dallas salary cap...and this Cowboy team has way too much talent to be getting eliminated in the first round by a mediocre SF 49er squad.....Mike McCarthy is a terrible coach and needs to be replaced sooner rather than later.....the smart move would be to can him and promote the DC Dan Quinn before he moves elsewhere for a head coaching position...possibly even to division rival New York Giants?......Quinn is a solid defensive mind and did a good job in Atlanta for several years before getting canned....of course the problem is obvious....Jerry Jones wants a "Yes Man" that he can push around......that's the big problem with the franchise and I hope Jerry lives to be 100.... check out the interview yesterday with Troy Aikman who surmises that too many Dallas players are spoiled by the "cowboy mystique" and sense of entitlement.....I think Troy is on the right track there....👍...and if Jones wants a Yes Man then he may as well hire actor Jim Carrey.....😜

As a Cowboys fan, it is just par for the course.  Dallas has done very little since their last Super Bowl win in 1996.  Tony Romo and Dak Prescott have never been able to win the big games for Dallas.  Dak is a fourth round draft pick, you could say a hidden gem.  For the most part, he has played way over his head but he is not a guy that can win a Super Bowl.  Prescott can win games in the regular season but in playoff time he is just 1-3.  Until Jones passes away I would expect more winning regular seasons and poor playoff seasons.

Only the Detroit Lions and Washington Football Team have gone longer without an NFC title game appearance...it's been 26 seasons now.....in the past quarter century Dallas has won TWO post season games.....not acceptable for a team where so much money is spent and the talent has been there....poor coaching and mediocre QB play are two of the issues.....I think the "sense of Cowboy Entitlement" is something where Troy Aikman is on the right track.....maybe Troy should be the GM....but only if Jerry Jones is willing to let him make the changes necessary.....Obviously i don't care for Dallas because i am a Philadelphian....but i can be objective......I like Troy Aikman.....and I think he would be a fine choice.....👍

• 2 weeks later...

Christian McCaffrey- signed a $64 million deal 2 years ago and has only played in like 8 games since. 😒

• 11 months later...

After yesterday’s performance I think I can answer my own question definitively. While Zeke is massively overpaid for what he produces on the field he does still provide serviceable play. Wentz on the other hand may have played his last game in the National Football League.