ORU v USD

ORU82

Sitting here watching our baseball team play UALR on the computer while watching our ladies play the Coyotes of USD on ESPN.  My point is that our ladies' team is beyond bad, they are a joke.  We are getting absolutely destroyed by USD as it is currently 71-39 with about 6:30 to play in the 4th.  No offense but how many years has Misti Cussen been our HC and this team currently is 6-13 with two of those wins against Tarleton State and Rogers State?  Here in a couple of minutes we will be 6-14.   Absolutely pathetic!

• Like 1

Men's basketball is 10-10 vs. D-1 opponents

Women's Volleyball is 2-8

Women's Soccer is 0-5

Men's Tennis is 0-6

Women's Tennis is 1-3

Baseball is 2-6

And, you want to single out Women's Basketball? LOL!!!

Voice, I was watching Women's Basketball when I posted this.  That is why I wrote about them.  Quite frankly I agree that basically all of our programs have serious issues.  

10 hours ago, oruvoice said:

Men's basketball is 8-10 vs. D-1 opponents

Women's Volleyball is 2-6

Women's Soccer is 0-3

Men's Tennis is 0-3

Women's Tennis is 1-2

Baseball opened the season with an ugly loss to UALR

And, you want to single out Women's Basketball? LOL!!!

Voice - while most of what you stated above is completely accurate, to be fair, it should also be acknowledged:

While ORUMBB is 8-10 against D-1 competition, the D-1 non-conference schedule (0-5 record) was the fourth toughest in the country.  And the 8-5 Summit record was earned in a strange Summit two-game series COVID schedule. 

VBB is 2-6, but they have a first year coach and their four Summit losses have all been fifth set 3-2 losses.  They are on the cusp of returning to be a respectable program.

WSOC is 0-3, but two of those losses were on the road against the defending Summit champs - so not unexpected.  Meanwhile, you didn't mention that MSOC is 4-0.

ORUBASE lost their season opener 4-3 and had the bases loaded in the ninth inning with an excellent chance to win/tie.  I would call a 15-1 game "ugly", but not a 4-3 barn-burner.  And, today, they evened the series with a 7-3 win.

As for tennis and WBB:

Yes, the tennis program is a perennial doormat, and I don't believe there is a lot of incentive, directive, or $$$ to change anything.

And, to ORU82's original post, the WBB season has been a huge disappointment.

23 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Voice, I was watching Women's Basketball when I posted this.  That is why I wrote about them.  Quite frankly I agree that basically all of our programs have serious issues.  

Other than baseball, how many conference titles have we won, in any sport, over the past 10 years? 

I researched my own question and here is the answer...

Men's Soccer has 2 co-championships.

Women's Tennis has 1 championship in 2011-2012.

Women's Golf has 1 championship 2011-2012.

Men's basketball has 1 (regular season championship) in 2011-2012.

That's it. 

And, if you start at 2012-2013 season, it's only men's soccer (two time co-champ).

Again, I totally agree Voice.  I guess I expected more in that 10 year period than what was actually achieved.  I also believe we could and should be doing a lot better across the board in all sports.

19 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Again, I totally agree Voice.  I guess I expected more in that 10 year period than what was actually achieved.  I also believe we could and should be doing a lot better across the board in all sports.

Honestly, after I asked the question and before I did the research, I was expecting more. I mean...that is ABYSMAL!! Other than a couple of men's soccer co-titles and baseball, we've won nothing in a decade! And, our baseball reign appears to be over. 

If things continue this way, we've become Chicago State or Centenary. Clearly the lowest point in ORU athletics history, despite all the money raised and new facilities for golf, track, tennis, baseball, etc. 

I also got to thinking about how long most in the athletic department have been around. The upper echelon staff inside the athletic department are mostly all 20+ years. Then, I took a look at the coaching tenures and just had forgotten how long most of them have been around. The volleyball guy is in his first year. After that, every single head coach (beside Mills in year #4), has been in their position for 10 years, at least. With a couple of them over 20 years. 

The more I dig into things and think about it, the more depressed I become. Then, I think about the AD in waiting and...UGH. 

Serious changes DO need to be made starting with the guys running the ORU Athletic Dept.....the house needs to be swept clean and we need to bring in ORU ALUMS who have a love for this school and the vision that OR had....not former OSU grads who don't give a bleep.....its pretty simple.....no ORU grad has ever been head of Athletics or MBB HC, Baseball HC and running most of the other programs.....sweeping change is needed but the people running this University aren't graduates and apparently have their own agendas or don't care.....BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 😪

Just hiring an ORU grad isn’t an automatic solution as OU learned when hiring John Blake as head football coach.  

I am not saying everybody has to be an ORU grad....but damn.....we don't have any and never have in charge of our major athletic programs (except soccer)......Chad Wilkerson sits in Tulsa and would love to coach at ORU....does anybody call him?....probably not......no more OSU grads please......TheEagleman agrees that outside influence is sometimes needed to get a good perspective....but it seems that ORU purposely goes out of the way NOT to hire alums....and read the post on the other tab about how ORU baseball isn't even recruiting top kids from Christian High Schools in the Oklahoma/Texas area....sorry but that's a joke.....🤮