Max Abmas (and Kevin Obanor!) 2020-21 Honors (...and beyond?)

Old Titan

Figured it's time to start a thread dedicated to all the recognition that Max Abmas has received this year, and will no doubt continue to receive thru the post-season.  Curious to see how far into the spring we will be adding accolades to the list.

To date:

• Summit League Player of the Month for January, 2021
  • Summit League Player of the Week February 15th, 2021
  • CollegeInsider.com Lou Henson National Mid-Major Player of the Week February 15th, 2021
  • Presently No. 2 in the country in scoring at 23.2 points per game, trailing only presumptive national POY Luka Garza of Iowa
  • National and conference top ten in numerous offensive categories

And, then there's this today:  Myron Medcalf of ESPN has "Mid-Court Max" as his front-runner for Summit League Player of the Year:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30912377

• Upvote 1

• Old Titan changed the title to Max Abmas 2020-21 Honors

The amazing thing is Max is doing this without a true post scoring threat!

KTUL-Channel 8 in Tulsa is supposed to be doing a special feature on Max on tonight's news. I think it'll be on the 10 PM show, but it could be on the 4, 5, or 6.

Folks, I'm seriously beginning to think ORU's greatest challenge this off-season may not be keeping Max out of the transfer portal; it may in fact be keeping him out of the NBA draft.

I'm seeing more and posts similar to these on Twitter:

Abmas scored 25 points against Western Illinois and now is at 24.682 PPG (543 points over 22 games). Garza (Iowa) has 583 points through 24 games - with two games left in the regular season. He would have to score 58 points over two games to catch Max. Davis from Detroit-Mercy has 511 points through 21 games - with one game to go. He needs 33 points to surpass Abmas. 

• Upvote 1

If Max were 6'5 he would get drafted first round in the NBA draft but his size would probaly keep most teams from looking at him.  Otherwise, he would have to work his way up from the G League.  Here is hoping he waits two more years on that decision.  He still needs to work on his post game to be a complete player (smile)!

Max is a very good shooter....but not ready for the NBA....and he would be foolish to transfer to a Power 5 school...his game is perfect for ORU and the mid major level. His body and game need to develop another couple years....if he keeps putting up numbers like this and can learn to play some D....the scouts will find him and likely already have....🏀😉🏀

If Max does in fact return to ORU next year for his "super sophomore" year (thanks to COVID), it will go down in ORU Basketball history as the greatest recruiting coup since signing Jamie Burgens!!*

*Sorry, just can't/won't let that one go - probably ever...

dos equis lol GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

• Haha 1

LOL - that voiceover got a little sketchy during the Obanor section.

I was waiting for “he gives it to the man; and ‘BOOM’ goes the dynamite!!”  
(Google it, kids) 🤣

10 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

LOL - that voiceover got a little sketchy during the Obanor section.

I was waiting for “he gives it to the man; and ‘BOOM’ goes the dynamite!!”  
(Google it, kids) 🤣

Crazy to think that was over 15 years ago

• Like 1

Most impressive stat in the Summit press release: Max just recorded his ninth consecutive 20+ point performance.  I am definitely biased, but he seems like a lock for Summit POY.  His range and accuracy are unsurpassed in the collegiate ranks.

Max is leading the country in scoring average and is 6th in 3-pt percentage. He is very efficient.