UMKC at ORU/ Game 2

theeagleman5

ORU is -6.5 again tonight....TheEagleman thinks we win but could be another close one....The Kangaroos know how to slow things down and turn the game into an ugly contest...but their failure to score a point in the final 3:15 was a killer last night....Obanor needs to have a better game for us to win....ORU 74 UMKC 66. 🏀

I expect to see ORU start out in a man-to-man defense, but to switch back-and-forth between man and zone periodically in an effort to disrupt the flow of the game.  I would expect KC to prepare a response for our zone this afternoon, as they had no answer for it last night.

ORU's Obanor and KC's Allick both spent a majority of the first half on the bench with foul trouble.  It will be a very different game if one (or both) avoid foul trouble today.

Finally, both teams should be VERY aware that flopping will not be tolerated! 🤣  

17 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Finally, both teams should be VERY aware that flopping will not be tolerated! 🤣  

That was the craziest thing! To me, it didn't even look like two of those were flops, but the UMKC players didn't object. Props to the refs for being willing to hand those out. 

I expect to see a much higher scoring game this evening. Take ORU and the over tonight Eagleman! 

• Like 1

That crew would have had a field day with Homer Drew's Valpo teams.

This is a game where the Eagles really need to pound it inside to K.O. because the Roos do not have much size to guard him with.  Then that will open it for the shooters, the old inside/out style of play.  We need guys like E-man, Albert Owens, and Javan White (also a KC guy) to come back for tonight's game!  Also the team only had six assists to 16 turnovers last night, which usually means you lose.  That needs to improve in Game 2.

ORU has been really good in the second game of these back-to-back series, winning by 11, 17, and 9 (the night after winning by 12, losing by 1, and winning by 4, respectively). I like that trend to continue, with the good guys covering the -6.5 line tonight.

Our guards need to get better making the entry pass to Obanor. Several times he had his man sealed but the entry pass was either late or not made. Obanor (Plet too) was also open numerous times on the pick & roll but the pass wasn’t made. Maybe they should use Lacis on the screen up top; he can (and will) make that pass. 

Gotta guard McKissic and his drives to the bucket. He is a nice player; their offense mostly goes through him. KC ran one set where all four of his teammates were on one side and he had the ball on the other. 

Will be interesting to see if they run the delay offense again tonight. KC typically did not attempt a shot with more than 10 seconds left on the shot clock. They had several shot clock violations. 

36 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Our guards need to get better making the entry pass to Obanor. Several times he had his man sealed but the entry pass was either late or not made. Obanor (Plet too) was also open numerous times on the pick & roll but the pass wasn’t made. Maybe they should use Lacis on the screen up top; he can (and will) make that pass. 

Agreed. He's also getting the ball way too far from the bucket. And it's because the guards aren't able to make a tough pass when he gets a good seal closer to the bucket. I don't see this changing, though.

We stink....somebody wake up Obanor please...bench is non existant...😬

Yeah, this is my first time catching a game this season and it's been painful to watch. Hoping to see a different team this second half. 

2 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

Yeah, this is my first time catching a game this season and it's been painful to watch. Hoping to see a different team this second half. 

Thank you - based on so many of the pie-in-the-sky posts so far this season, I thought maybe I had been watching another team play, instead of this one that lives so precariously on wide-open 3-pointers while surrendering drive after drive to the rim from every conceivable angle on the floor. 

That being said, ORU may come back from yet another double-digit deficit to sweep the weekend series against this game-but-under-manned KC squad, but it’s all a charade. I would be willing to bet money that ORU gives up an average of 80 points or so per game in their next 6 contests vs.the Dakota schools.

The only drama will be whether the Golden Eagles can manage to score enough to win any of them.

Pathetic....this ORU team could lose 7 in a row....and we were lucky to win last night....😬🏀😬

With 81 points tonight, Kansas City becomes the fourth straight ORU opponent to eclipse their season high of points vs. a D1 team; previous high for the Roos was 77 in their win at UND.

They average 61.3 points a game.