North Dakota vs. ORU Game 2

theeagleman5

TheEagleman couldn't have been more wrong last night....totally underestimated the Fighting Hawks and have to agree with the comment by  OT....how did UND lose to UMKC by 24?....very strange.....hopefully the Good Guys got some rest last night and this morning and will be ready to gain a weekend split.....if we lose both....well.....that pretty much kills our shot at a regular season Summit Title....not likely to happen anyway....but as pointed out by a few posters already, ORU didn't play a horrible game last night....we just didn't make the plays in the final few minutes and lost a tough one.....so TheEagleman is going back to the well tonight teasing the Home Team (-8.5) with the Over (146.5) and hoping for the best....ORU should be motivated to defend the home court and gain some revenge...losing a pair to UND would be a bitter pill to swallow.....Max has a better night and Obanor brings his A game....we need some Weaver points off the bench and ORU will prevail.....Eagles 82  Fighting Hawks 72.   GO BLUE!!!  :tb-white:

I see no reason to think that UND wont dictate the pace once again, keeping both the spread and the total low. 

Based on the history between these two coaches, I would take the Fightin’ Hawks and 8-1/2 points any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

UND has a lot of new faces around Rebraca that seemed to jell last night.  Sims, who made the steal and late free throw, is just a freshman.  Hoping those new guys for the Hawks have an off night and ORU can steal one at home (home or road does not seem to matter much this year). Coach Mills seems to be playing these back to back games like he would the conference tourney.  The starters play over 30 minutes and maybe two guys off the bench see some action.  He wants to win badly but it is a little early to be playing with such desperation. 

FYI:  one of the starting guards last night for the Hawks was Caleb Nero, who teamed with RJ Fuqua in the backcourt for a state championship at Tulsa Washington.*  He originally signed with Weber State before transferring to UND this past summer.

He went 0-6 from the field last night with 4 free throws made in 31 minutes, with 5 assists and just 1 turnover. 

*NOTE:  this is incorrect; see ORUJason’s response below. 

Wouldn’t be surprised to see another late tip-off; the ladies are finishing off a sweep of UND, and it’s 7:05pm. 

UND looks exhausted; I guess this might explain beating UMKC the first time, then losing by 24 the next night. 

I’ve been impressed so far this year with ORU’s conditioning; they are playing tonight with the same intensity as 24 hours ago.

• Like 1

Good call Eagleman, you were right Weaver is playing his best basketball tonight.  Did anyone notice Weaver is playing with a wrap on his shooting arm.  Has not slowed him down as he has 15 at break.  The three's are falling tonight and ORU is up by 17.  Good defense by the Golden Eagles on UND's big men.

This is more like it....an DJ has finally woken up after a dozen games....ORU kicking some butt.....😁🏀😛

This announcer has got to go. Second straight game where he has no clue of individual or team foul counts 😑

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I see no reason to think that UND wont dictate the pace once again, keeping both the spread and the total low. 

Based on the history between these two coaches, I would take the Fightin’ Hawks and 8-1/2 points any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

LOL - why I don’t gamble. 

Still, don’t want any part of these guys with a week’s rest in a 4/5 or 3/6 first-round game in Sioux Falls; bad match-up in terms of style of play. 

• Like 1

Great win for ORU.  I thought their defense was more solid tonight.  

Also, Caleb Nero went to Memorial and did not play with RJ at BTW, but he played fairly well tonight.

17 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

Also, Caleb Nero went to Memorial and did not play with RJ at BTW, but he played fairly well tonight.

You are correct, sir:  Caleb & RJ actually played together for years in summer tournament ball for the team coached by Nero’s father, with Richard Fuqua as his assistant.  My son used to practice with them on occasion; the intensity level rivaled a college practice. 

If you saw the postgame show with Coach Mills then he mentioned that DJ has had shoulder problems and even had Covid before the season started.  So he said his conditioning was an issue early on but now he seems in better shape.  Hopefully DJ can be that third guy behind K.O. and Max.  Overall a more balanced performance with four players scoring 14 or more.  You need that versus tough defenses, so that they can not just focus on one or two guys.  

Being at the game Friday night was a tough pill to swallow. Nor even my extremely enthusiastic 7 year old grandson could help pull off the victory. For a kid who lacks no confidence he yelled towards the end of the game "put me in!" As I looked up at the scoreboard on Friday night our shooting percentages were considerably lower than UND and our defense never stepped up, a perfect recipe for a loss. I was encouraged on Saturday night as I watched the game on my phone to see Coach Mills make some much needed adjustments on defense! This team is fun to watch and has a lot of potential. It is great to see ORU basketball is on the rise once again!

• Upvote 2

I was not able to attend/watch Friday’s game, but Doc was and gave me a recap similar to what people here recounted. Good game against an opponent that controlled tempo. Could not make shots. 

I attended last night's contest and have the following random observations:

1. This squad can shoot well from the perimeter. They had trouble finishing around the basket for some reason. I like that we drove to the basket, but need to learn to finish. Thompson especially. 

2. The officials did a good job. They let the guys play and didn’t call ticky tack fouls. It made the game enjoyable. 

3.  North Dakota is a fundamentally sound basketball team. All five of their guys play hard on defense. Not sure how they recruit to that slow down system, but they could be a tough match up for anyone in the tournament. They picked up Abmas in the backcourt and lots of times doubled him at half court in an attempt to stymie him or at least slow the offense down. Interesting strategy. 

4. I think we did the best job defending that I have seen this year. Most of the guys were focused and I saw real effort. Hopefully the guys will continue and build on this. 

5. I liked the player rotations. We have talented guys on the bench so we should take advantage of that. It allows guys (Obanor/Abmas) to rest. 

6.  Nice to see that players other than Obanor & Abmas contributed with scoring. Having a 3rd or 4th option frees everyone up. Weaver’s offensive outburst broke the game open and made ND respect him & other players. 

7.  Nice to see that we weathered the ND run in 2nd half when they pulled within 8 points. I think ORU got a bit complacent and had a run of turnovers by Obanor/Abmas. Obanor finished with 7 turnovers. 

• Like 1

I totally agree with all your takes ORU Terry.  Obanor struggled in the 2nd half to score down low and turned the ball over several times so it was refreshing to see other players pick up the scoring burden.  After seeing that it made me realize that shooting 3s currently is this team’s  best way to score.  They need to work more on scoring proficiency down low against bigger teams and UND gave them the opportunity to do that.  More work in practice including on some set plays when they need to break a scoring drought would certainly be a good idea.