Back Home to Face UND

Keenan Henderson

Since we no longer have any mid-week games, might as well get the ball rolling with the North Dakota games in the Mabee Center.  Nice to be home after a four game road trip.  Thoughts on the upcoming games vs UND?

Essentially a must-sweep scenario in order to stay a contender for the Summit crown.  Any loss in a home series (except maybe a split with SDSU) will be disastrous this season.  But, if we play like we have been for most of the season, we should be 7-5 after the weekend, and may even have an opportunity to unload the bench.  ORU should be a high single or low double digit favorite in both games this weekend.

Would expect UND to try everything they can to slow down the game and keep it in the 60s.  Easier said then done but they do have good size and will probaly try and pound the ball inside a lot.  They have beaten South Dakota, Kansas City and only lost by one to NDSU.  So they can be a dangerous team.  

I'll be at the game tomorrow night with my wife and 3 grandsons.  The 3 boys love ORU basketball! I'll predict ORU by 8 points 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

ORU -11 and O/U is 148.....sounds almost too easy which means it likely is....but TheEagleman is gonna tease the Good Guys with the Over....we win by double digits....ORU 85 North Dakota 69...🏀😁🏀

North Dakota, so far, has been a poor shooting team that can struggle on offense. I agree that they will try to ‘ugly up’ the game and control tempo. Also look for them to go inside as much as they can. ORU needs to force ND to work on offense and not give up easy baskets. 

I look for some of the other players to shine as ND tries to focus their defensive pressure on Abmas and Obanor. 

Hi everyone, just an FYI. We started doing a preview of one matchup a week on the Reaching the Summit podcast with our writer for each team. This week's preview was North Dakota vs Oral Roberts. You can check it out here or wherever you find podcasts. 

http://reachingthesummitpodcast.com/2021/01/07/thursday-30-minute-preview-north-dakota-at-oral-roberts/

10 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU -11 and O/U is 148.....sounds almost too easy which means it likely is....but TheEagleman is gonna tease the Good Guys with the Over....we win by double digits....ORU 85 North Dakota 69...🏀😁🏀

Wow, -11 is a lot of points if the Former Fighting Sioux are able to dictate tempo and keep the score low - good luck with that!

Line has dropped to ORU -10.5 and O/U to 145.5.....time to lock it in now....not saying that the Good Guys have become a juggernaut because of two wins at mediocre Omaha but ORU should handle the ND Fighting Hawks fairly easily this weekend....agree we can't just show up and win....need to shoot well and play smart.....TheEagleman still thinks we win by 15 or more.....:tb-blue:

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Wow, -11 is a lot of points if the Former Fighting Sioux are able to dictate tempo and keep the score low - good luck with that!

I can see this line making sense. ORU will either impose the tempo and win by double digits or give up too many easy paint buckets and lose by 5-7.

It should be a study in contrasts: one team is defense-oriented and plays a methodical style of basketball. Similar to what Western Illinois used to play. The other team plays uptempo and relies on the three point shot heavily. It will be interesting to see who can impose their will on the other. 

Not sure we want Abmas and Obanor logging so many minutes per game. Could wear them out by the end of the season. But they are young... It would be nice to have Weaver, Lacis, Thompson, Glasper, etc. contribute more. I would also like to see Jones play some minutes - along with Clover and Plet provide some interior defense/scoring. 

When I look at the comparative stats between the two teams, three factors jump out:

1) ORU has attempted the most 3 point FG in the Summit League (and 7th nationally), and UND ranks #2 in the Summit in 3 point attempts, so it could be a shootout.  But, ORU makes them at a rate of 37.6%, while UND has shot 28.1%.

2) ORU's overall FG% is 44.6% and defensive FG% is 41.6%; UND's FG% is 40.5% and defense FG% is a whopping 48.6%. (plus 3 to minus 8 indicates a significant mismatch)

3) ORU has averaged 23.5 ppg more than UND, but UND averages 2.3 TO per game higher than ORU. If you run a deliberate low-scoring offense, you MUST take care of the ball.  For perspective, ORU has scored 6.75 points for every turnover it has committed.  UND scores 4.11 points per TO.

Unless these three factors change over the weekend, ORU should earn the sweep.  One other note that doesn't make the stat sheet.  Tulsa native Caleb Nero is the second leading scorer for the Fighting Hawks at 9 ppg.  No doubt, he will have extra incentive to "go off" this weekend. 

TheEagleman is fairly confident that ORU will win both of these games by double digits...sorry but if UND comes close to us at home then we  have big problems.....and perhaps we do but lets see what happens tonight....i like my chances with the current line and O/U...and remember that with teaser bets I get 6 points on each bet...yes, both have to win but ORU only has to win by 5 and teams need to combine for only 140.....I see this as being at least a 12-15 point ORU victory with a minimum of 150 total points scored...but let's see how things shake out tonight....I predict more of the same for Obanor and Abmas...Each should get 20+....those two will be tough to stop in Summit play and hopefully DJ Weaver breaks out tonight.......:k_obanor::circle-logoi::hc_mills:

North Dakota only averages 60.9 points per game.... if they hit their average tonight on the road, ORU would have to score 90 to reach the 150 total points scored.

Is anyone else having problems watching the game on the ORU Sports Network?  It did not show the women's game and so far nothing for the men's game.  

8 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Is anyone else having problems watching the game on the ORU Sports Network?  It did not show the women's game and so far nothing for the men's game.  

It’s been a little weird.

I’m watching it on my desktop Mac using a Firefox browser, and it seems to be working fine, but the tip-off has been delayed for some reason.  It’s 7:42pm and they’re just now doing the intros. I’m wondering if the referees were late to the game; they were doing some pretty frenzied stretching just minutes ago.