ORU at Omaha Game 2

theeagleman5

TheEagleman sees no reason that the Good Guys can't win another one tonight at Omaha.....except maybe that our top five guys might be tired after playing the majority of the minutes on Saturday.....still, as pointed out previously, these guys are young and should be able to deal with it....ORU will definitely need more production from the bench tonight if we expect to get another victory....and can't expect KO to put up another 39 spot.....probably a closer game tonight but ORU pulls it out.....ORU 88  Omaha 81. :k_obanor::tb-blue::hc_mills:

I know that it's WAY too early to look ahead on the schedule, but today's game is likely ORU's biggest challenge over the next month of the schedule.  The first half of ORU's Summit schedule is quite favorable.  After today, ORU gets UND at home, Denver on the road, and UMKC at home (all very winnable games), and then a mid-season bye weekend.  My primary point is to emphasize the importance of today's game in setting the course for the entire month of January.  I don't believe ORU will play as well offensively today, but will likely need solid defense in order to pull out a win.  We will learn a lot about this team today.

• Upvote 1

So anybody else concerned that Omaha had season highs yesterday in points (83) and shooting percentage (56%)?

First team to 85 points wins.  ORU shouldn’t have any problem, so long as Abmas and Obanor combine for 50+ points again, while holding Pile of Omaha under 25 points in the paint. #smh

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU shouldn’t have any problem, as long as Abmas and Obanor combine for 50+ points again, while holding Pile of Omaha under 25 points in the paint.

Defense is the problem for sure. ORU can't count on outside shooting to be there especially given the Summit's back to back format.

In the Horizon Oakland lost to former SDSU coach Scott Nagy's Wright St. by 40 in the first game but won the second the next day by ten.

It is all gravy at this point: sure you would love to go 2-0 in Omaha but with the Eagles problems on the road, 1-1 is fine.  Split the road games and go win the home games and ORU can still be around 10-6 to 11-5 mark in conference play.  Most likely the Mavs will come out with some fire in their belly (desperation) because they do not want to start the season 0-2 at home.

Omaha had better percentages in FG, 3 pts and FT, yet we won thanks to KO and Max. Once again our defense is sorely lacking and the main way we win is when these 2 guys score alot of points which statistically won't happen every game.im hoping the Eagles stay hot today!

Big sweep this weekend for the Golden Eagles.  A much closer game today, but ORU overcame an early push by Omaha, and then put the hammer down in the final eight minutes of the game.  ORU definitely showed that they are worthy of contender status this season - and Max and KO both performed at First Team Summit League levels.  In my perspective, ORU's road sweep was the top Summit performance of the weekend.  NDSU also swept Western on the road, but that result was pretty much expected.  UMKC earned a very nice split at UND in their return to the Summit, and Denver showed that they will likely battle Western for the Summit basement with 22 and 39 point losses at USD.

Kudos to the conditioning team at ORU, as the Golden Eagles shooting percentage only dropped 5 points today, while the Mavs dropped by 13%.  These two-game weekend series this season are going to be a grind, but it's great to start out with the gauntlet with a strong performance.

Golden Eagles were rock solid in cruch time (when was the last time we said that) and won by 11.  K.O. and Max are as a good one two punch that ORU has had since Tutt/Green.  Mavs played well in the first half but ORU took their best shot and overcame in the second half.  Great game for the good guys! So far, they have already won as many road games as they did all last season in conference play, which is two.  Way to go guys!

Today’s win was more impressive in my book than yesterday’s.  Obanor and Abmas are playing the best basketball of their careers, and ORU’s athleticism and conditioning was on display when it counted in crunch time.  As TB82 mentioned, it was an eye-opening performance for opening weekend when most across the league probably expected Omaha to salvage at least a split at home.

That being said, there is the distinct possibility that Omaha is one of three potential cellar dwellers in the Summit (along with Denver and Western Illinois), while ORU presently enjoys the penthouse view alongside SDSU and NDSU, with UMKC, South Dakota, and North Dakota stumbling around somewhere in the middle. 

Which means ORU now has a legitimate shot at starting 8-0 in league play, with doubleheaders vs. UND, Denver, and UMKC next up.

The question is whether they also run the risk of losing six straight in February when they face SDSU, NDSU, and South Dakota before closing out with Western Illinois.

What was also impressive about these wins is that three guys were out (Lufile, Stevens, and Jones) and Weaver was pretty quiet in both games.  So they win two games on the road with basically no bench to speak of.  It always seems like we are waiting for three or four guys to get healed up for the next game.  Hopefully the bench can help out in the next couple of home games.

Certainly excited and impressed by ORU's performance this weekend. You all know the clichés about looking too far ahead, but based off of this weekends results around the league, the month of January could set up nicely for ORU.

I apologize if I've missed anything said from the team, but it seems safe to assume that we will not be seeing Lufile anytime this season. Sure seems like a run of bad luck to have major contributing players get hurt and miss an entire season back to back years with Weaver last year and now Elijah this year. I hope DJ can stay out of foul trouble and maybe see some more minutes.

Also, I sure would like to see Nate Clover for more than a minute or two....and will we ever see what we have in our 4 star recruit??? Or will we have to wait until our next game versus a non D-1 opponent? 

25 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Also, I sure would like to see Nate Clover for more than a minute or two....and will we ever see what we have in our 4 star recruit??? Or will we have to wait until our next game versus a non D-1 opponent? 

I think that it is pretty clear that Clover is a freshman with frequent flashes of brilliance and even more frequent freshman mistakes.  He is a future talent, but for now ORU can only afford short stints of playing time for Clover in close games.  Hopefully, the remaining January schedule will allow opportunities for Clover to gain some experience in more than 2-3 minute breathers for KO. 

And, I’m confident that if our “4 star recruit” was able to contribute to this team in a meaningful way, he would be on the court.   He was either highly overrated and/or his early season injury has significantly hampered his play.  In either case, it’s not his fault, and I certainly hope that he is able to grow into a significant contributor in future seasons.  

Didnt see the game but looks like tonight an instant replay for the Good Guys except Abmas and KO reversed numbers...ORU overcame some first half adversity and got the job done. 2-0 a great Summit start with a pair of road wins. Go Blue!!...🏀😁🏀

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

First team to 85 points wins.  ORU shouldn’t have any problem, so long as Abmas and Obanor combine for 50+ points again, while holding Pile of Omaha under 25 points in the paint. #smh

BTW:  “Sharpie”. 

• Upvote 1

I am pleasantly surprised by our really good performances in Omaha. We showed a level of maturity and focus  that has not been present  in an ORU team in quite a while. KO and Max are stepping up big time and we got good play from Glasper, Thompson and Jurgens. It would be great to keep the momentum and focus as we play 2 very winnable games this weekend! 

Huge weekend sweep. Even if Omaha turns out to be a cellar dweller this year ( I don't think they will be - they've always been a tough out), this is a huge step for the program. It's been a while since we regularly pulled off road sweeps. Hopefully this is a sign that we're starting to turn the corner. 

• Upvote 1