Bernis Duke

oruvoice

Truly sad news. So many stories to tell!  

The Aerobics Center should be renamed after Bernis, or a statue should be erected out front above the steps. The man was an institution in that building!  

Taught thousands of students over several decades; and everybody loved him.  Just think how many ORU grads all over the world owe their fondness for badminton to Coach Duke!

Coach Duke would be the last of the ORU Athletic Department “Founding Fathers” from the 1960’s to leave this mortal coil, joining the likes of fellow pioneers Myron Peace, Lavoy Hatchett, Ken Trickey and Bob Brooks.  A true legend in ORU Athletics history!

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about Coach Duke. Playing for him was an incredible honor! He was an amazing coach, mentor and friend. He was a man with the highest integrity. He will be greatly missed! I agree that a special monument needs to be done in honor of him. We will all miss his sense of humor and funny stories!

Saddened to hear of the passing of a true ORU legend in Coach Bernis Duke.....not surprised he lived to the ripe old age of 91 because of his big heart and wonderful sense of humor......it's funny how we can forget a lot of our teachers/profs from almost 50 yrs ago but a guy like Coach Duke never gets forgotten....such a naturally funny man with a dry wit....humorous even when he never intended to be.....just his nature.....TheEagleman was having lunch with Golf Asst Coach Ted Gellert and basketball asst Terry Scott one afternoon in Coach Gellert's office probably about 1975.....Terry and I had gone out to Der Weinerschnitzel for some hot dogs and brought them back to campus....so we were sitting there shooting the breeze and having lunch when Coach Duke walked in with a rather perplexed look....Gellert says to him....what's the matter, Coach?....and Duke waving a paper he  has in his hand says....I just got my new insurance bill for adding my daughters' car which is the 5th vehicle and the price is just getting so expensive!.....Terry Scott says....well, Coach....maybe you should stop having kids....to which Bernis replies.....hey, if i have one more perhaps they will give me a Fleet Rate?!?!?!.....lol.....RIP Coach Duke!!....😪😆😂

• Upvote 1

My mentor played for Coach Duke in the 70's and always had great things to say. I was surprised to see him still around when I became a student and enrolled in his badminton class some 30 years later. He was indeed a great man.

i bought my first racquetball racquet from Bernis Duke for $10.00. 

I can still see the moment in my mind in the aerobics center. 

Thanks for starting me on the journey, Coach!