And So It Begins...

Old Titan

...or not:

I've said for months that the season would/should start in January with conference games only, so we can at least try to crown conference champions and play some form of bubble-ish NCAA tournament, for posterity and the TV revenue.

Non-conference games mean hardly anything at all this season, particularly with limited attendance revenue.  Denver is just the latest of programs nationwide that are "pausing" on a daily rate due to COVID, and season-opening tournaments have been left scrambling to fill open spots, or cancelling outright.  Some schools have yet to finalize their non-conference schedules, even as we are just three days away from the NCAA-mandated opening date of November 25th.

Latest prediction:  Monday and Tuesday will bring a slew of new schools announcing that they are unable to play their opening games due to COVID issues in their programs.  At the current pace, the NCAA may have little choice in the next 7-to-10 days but to cancel all non-conference games, with hopes of a conference-only reboot in January.

Yeah it is going to be a real free for all this season.  They have already cancelled about 15-20 games for opening night on Wednesday.  Each state has different guidelines for traveling, covid, etc., which will effect certain teams in different ways.  Some teams may still play a full schedule and others only 15 games.  As the old saying goes, just be ready for anything at this point.  Glad the NCAA is giving everyone a free year as far as eligilibity goes.

COVID announcements this morning...

• Ole Miss suspending activities; cancelling 12/5 game with Memphis.
  • Duke postponing home opener Wednesday due to outbreak at Gardner-Webb.
  • Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes tests positive along with players; Vols suspend activities.
  • Baylor may not travel to Mohegan Sun this week in wake of Scott Drew's case.

...and it's just noon on Monday...

...and teams haven't even faced each other or rigors of travel yet...

#smh

Eh....only trivialities.....Let's Play Some Ball !!!....😝🥴😉

LOL - what plan??

One of the many things that really bother me in this deal is that, having set the starting date of the season a couple of months ago, the NCAA has gone into silent mode and is offering hardly anything in the way of national guidelines or rules for teams to compete in these unprecedented times.

It's pretty obvious they just want to stay out of the fray, hoping the conferences figure something out for themselves the next three months, and then throw the survivors together in Indianapolis in March in an obvious money-grab to line their own pockets.

They're risking the health of 18-and-19-year-olds, and those who support them on the sidelines and in the stands, just out of their own greed.  It's pathetic...

All excellent points....this isn't going to go well....look how many football games have been cancelled and last weekends' Clemson/FSU fiasco turned into a name calling mess led by dufus Dabo Swinney....he just couldn't wait to lay a 50 point whipping on the Noles until the medical people called it off 3 hrs before kickoff.....we will probably see this happen in NCAA Hoops also.....wish the Bedlam game at Norman had been cancelled.....ouch....😬

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to lose games, but especially hate to lose games against opponents that will prepare ORU for the Summit season - and likely/potential WINS!

I hope we can find some other games to play in December. It's probably not likely, but hope springs eternal! And we were taught to expect miracles. 🙂 

And now we have a game with OU! A road game, but it's still a little bit of progress. 

Fantastic news for ORU to be playing all 3 major programs in Oklahoma within the same season.....that's rare.....too bad it took Covid 19 to make it happen.....maybe we can steal one of these games....but it likely won't be at Norman......:circle-logoi:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Fantastic news for ORU to be playing all 3 major programs in Oklahoma within the same season.....that's rare.....

First time in 25 years (since the 95-96 season).

1 hour ago, oruvoice said:

Loss by 25.

Loss by 15.

Loss by 30.

I guess it's comforting to know that, no matter how down I get on the current state of affairs in ORU basketball, I can always count on oruvoice to make me feel like "Mr. Sunshine" in comparison! 

Happy Feliz GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

• Haha 2