Missouri

ORU GRAD

I watched the whole game (even though painful at times), and was not surprised with the final result.  I saw some positives and some negatives, as should be expected.

The chemistry and flow of the game was sporadic tonight, which is common for a season opener, but also accentuated due to all of the new pieces to the puzzle.

I hope that this team only jacked up so many threes because the Tigers were so dominant inside.  If this team falls in love with the three (as it did at times last season), it will be a feast or famine year, heavy on the famine side.  And, as far as I'm concerned, it would be just fine if K.O. NEVER takes another three this season.  It's just not a smart play - and even if he can hit one occasionally, we have other players on the team who are much more successful at it.

R.J. Glasper had some nice plays on defense, but didn't run the offense as much as I had hoped (only one assist). 

Kareem Thompson brings some versatility to the lineup, but also turned the ball over way too much.  Hopefully, this was due to first D1 game jitters. 

Clover is a freshman, and will play like one for most of the season, but has the height and girth to be a matchup problem as his career progresses.  He seems to have a lot of energy and a bright future.

We could have really used Lufile tonight.  I'm concerned that he and Bergens did not play, and certainly hope they can get some playing time before Summit play begins.  Did John Joslin give a health report before the game?

Max seems to have improved his game over the summer, and made some nice defensive plays.  He has also perfected the drive into the paint and the pull-up teardrop shot, which pairs very well with this 3 point prowess.  And, he led the team with five assists.

DJ Weaver looked very tentative to me tonight, as if he was trying to find his legs - and to assure that he wouldn't sustain an injury.  This may not be a fair assessment, but just my thoughts from the broadcast.  And, after spending a year on medical redshirt, it's perfectly understandable.  Hopefully, he will regain his confidence as the season progresses, as I believe this team will only reach its ceiling with a solid year from DJ.

While we only shot 12 FTs (to Mizzou's 18), making 11 of 12 is a solid start to the year.

I still believe that (barring major injury) we will finish in the top three in the Summit, if we ever actually get to the conference season.

And, yes - a VERY Happy Thanksgiving to all!

TheEagleman just watched some of the replay on SEC Network....yuck!....way too many 3 balls from guys who can't shoot....Obanor needs to stop it...he's a bricklayer....should only be shooting from 12 feet on in.....dude is 6-8....not sure what this coaching staff is trying to do.....this style won't win a lot of games......😲

If Kevin can increase his 3 point shooting percentage a little bit then he could draw defenders up closer to the 3 point line and that could open up more driving to the basket.  He did hit some clutch 3s last year.

Thinking back to Wednesday night, ORU only had 3 out of the 10 players who played vs. Missouri back from last year.  Missouri had maybe 9 out of their 10 returning and the other guy (Buggs) had played at Hawaii last year.  So their experience level was three times higher then the Golden Eagles.  The Tigers are most likely the second best team that the Eagles will play this year, behind Arkansas. Missouri will be a tough out in the SEC. So it was a challenging first game for ORU in Columbia.  

• 3 weeks later...

This loss is not looking so bad now.  Missouri is ranked 16 and has beaten two top 25 teams in Oregon and Illinois.