Blue/Gold game

Keenan Henderson

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

What are you thoughts on the blue/gold game?

Great opportunity to see the players this season for really the first time. Thoughts:

1. Obanor, Jurgens, and Lufile not playing but only Lufile is having some health problems.

2. Love the play of Thompson. He will be the point guard starter along with Abmas who is still solid.

3. Clover, Alexlendre, and Plet look fantastic as freshman. Clover a beast in the middle.

4. Welcome back Weaver. Looks great in all phases of his game. Jones seemed to be more aggressive.

5. We have great depth with Lacis along with guard play of Stevens and Glasper all will see action.

6. Lovvorn great shooter hitting  the three. 

Overall, great potential. Bergens is a typical freshman and not showing much tonight. However, we are going to be better with excellent shooters, great depth not only up front but also the guard play. Overall players that got my attention Alexlendre, Clover, Stevens, and especially Thompson as recent additions. Go Eagles!

• Thanks 1

Nice points ORU grad!  Just to add: it looked like K.O. was in a boot so he may be a out a few weeks.  

Here are a few ideas about the game:

1.  Thompson was really good about rebounding and then getting the break going through dribbling or passing.  He is the real deal at 6'6 and has a variety of skills.

2. Clover was both strong and athletic for a big man.  Good rebounder and solid around the basket.  Should start if K.O. is still injuried at the beginning of the season.

3. Glasper is very quick, much like another RJ, and can score in a variety of ways.  He should be a good piece off the bench.

4.  The walk-ons played well but one wonders if they will see much action this year.  Jonathon Alexandre has a lot of potiental and they should give him a schlorship at some point.  Very long at 6'6 and can shoot the ball.

5. DJ Weaver showed an ability to do other things then just shot the three.  He scored inside and hit a mid range shot in the first game.  Seems to have gotten tougher and stronger.  May have to play the four at times this season.

6. Thought that Bergmans really struggled and Stevens was up and down but at times showed he can score.

7. Abmas and Francis were solid and hit the three at a good rate.  D'Mauria Jones played well in the final five minutes but was quite until then.

Wait a minute:  I thought Bergens was supposed to be (and I quote ORU Athletics) “THE HIGHEST RATED RECRUIT IN ORU BASKETBALL HISTORY”.

Guys like that are supposed to be in the starting line-up from Day 1, like Richard Fuqua or Mark Acres or Caleb Green or Dominique Morrison.

Sorry to be that guy, but I just watched the premiere of “Praise The Lord and Pass Me The Ball” today, and the level of talent on the floor for ORU in those glory days has me longing for the time when substance mattered more than hyperbole. 

Here’s hoping the young man eventually lives up to all his stars.

These scrimmages don’t show a lot, but it’s good to get a glimpse of new players. The players aren’t running any offensive sets and they were mixed into three different squads. 

Comments/questions:

* Several different players did not participate (Obanor & Jurgens were out with ‘nicks’) but I didn’t hear anything about Lufile. 

* Thompson looks good and did play at the point some of the time. It will be nice to have a 6’6” guard who can look over the defense and distribute the ball. Looks like a nice player

* Clover is an active big guy. I like what I saw. Plet also looked okay. 

* The teams took a lot of jump shots /3-pointers. Abmas did well and Stevens looked like a decent shooter. Lacis was active; his length is handy on the perimeter or wing. 

36 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Wait a minute:  I thought Bergen’s was supposed to be (and I quote ORU Athletics) “THE HIGHEST RATED RECRUIT IN ORU BASKETBALL HISTORY”.

Guys like that are supposed to be in the starting line-up from Day 1.

I’m pumped that the program is in such great shape that the highest ranked recruit in program history is not a lock to start from day 1! It speaks to the depth and makeup of this roster that they aren’t reliant on freshmen. Which, as everyone knows, rosters who are reliant on true freshmen are often the most inconsistent teams. 

Love it!! Bergen’s feels no pressure and can take time to actually develop during his college career!

Bergen's high rating by 24/7 sports has always been a bit of a mystery.  Never could find any high school stats on him and only two teams offered him a schlorship.  That is a real question mark for someone ranked in the top 150 nationally.  It seems like the only reason he is ranked so high because he played well at the European under 18 championship tournament.  But even then he averaged 10 points and 3 assists, which is good but not all star level, in only ten games (so not even half of a regular season- small sample size).  We expect a lot out of him because of the ranking but then in another sense you wonder why was he ranked so high in the first place?  Then Juco rankings had Jones and Stevens in their top 65 and did not even mention Kareem Thompson in top 100 list or others list.  Thompson looks like a much better player.  So we can throw the rankings out the window.

Moral of the story? Rankings mean nothing! It’s not the kids’ fault he was ranked high and it’s not his responsibility to “live up to his ranking”. His only responsibility is to compete alongside his teammates and continue to develop. Rankings are thrown out the window the second the kids arrive on campus. Props to this team that enough pieces seem to be in place to bring in some talent and let them develop without being forced into the fire before they’re ready!

11 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Just to add: it looked like K.O. was in a boot so he may be a out a few weeks.  

🤦‍♂️ here we go again! Hope it doesn’t turn out to be another situation like DJ last year and we don’t see him all year. I’m excited to see this team perform and KO is a big part of that.

Mid major it seems they took the Blue/gold game came off of the ORU sports network as soon as it finished.  Pretty sure they do not want other teams watching it!

Seems like ORU Men's basketball has had the injury jinx for about a decade now....every year we suffer multiple serious injuries....it started that year where we were down to like 7 healthy players mid way thru the season and we called them the Magnificant Seven led by DoMo....lol....bout time we caught a break and stayed healthy to see what this team can accomplish....:shield-logo: