ORU Virtual Homecoming

ORUTerry

VIRTUAL HOMECOMING 2020: A CLEAR(ER) VISION FOR OUR FUTURE

Join us November 9-14!

Welcome to the homepage of Homecoming 2020. We are so excited for those who will be joining us and excited about what the week has in store for YOU!

Please watch the video above to hear a special message from Natalie Adams, Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations, and Johnie Hampton, Alumni Board Chair.

CLICK HERE TO RSVP! 

Throughout the week of November 9-14, we will have plenty of ways to connect—virtually, of course! Not only will there be live events, but we will be posting a lot of on-demand content as well.

Our goal is to give you a clearervision of what ORU is doing now and where we are headed in the future—including how we are walking through the adversity that this year has brought, and how to foster a virtual connection. Check out the schedule of events on this page, and please let us know if you have any questions. We’re at alumni@oru.eduor 918.495.6610.

We cannot wait for you to join us this year! Are YOU ready for a clearer vision?

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Please note: events are subject to change. All events are listed in Central time.

Monday, November 9                      

• Women’s Soccer: Blue vs. Gold, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • Behind-the-Scenes Campus Tour—check out some recently added facilities (and a preview of what’s to come), 7:00 - 8:00 p.m.
  • Men’s Soccer: Blue vs. Gold, 8:00-10:00 p.m.

Tuesday, November 10                     

• 1974 Men's Basketball vs. Kansas University, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • Prayer and Praise service, hosted by Dr. Clarence Boyd, with prayers from members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors and special music from ORU Worship, 7:00-8:00 p.m.
  • Women's Volleyball: Blue vs. Gold, 8:00-10:00 p.m.

Wednesday, November 11

• LIVE: Chapel, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
  • 2006 Men's Basketball vs. Kansas University, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • Baseball: The Fall “World B” Series, Game #1, 7:00-10:00 p.m. These games are in honor of the late ORU super fan and Athletics alum Wayne “World B” Otto. ORU Baseball’s fall season ends every year with a three-game intrasquad series in which two captains (student-athletes) draft the teams that will compete. These captains act as coaches for the teams and bragging rights are always on the line. This is the final competition as the team prepares for the spring season…and their 20th Summit League Championship!

Thursday, November 12                   

• LIVE: Coffee with the Coaches—Paul Mills (Men’s Basketball), Misti Cussen (Women’s Basketball), and Ryan Folmar (Baseball), 12:00-1:00 p.m. Hear updates from ORU head coaches about their programs, student-athletes, and the upcoming seasons during a truly unique year in ORU Athletics’ history. Participants are encouraged to ask questions and wear ORU gear!
  • 2006 Men's Basketball vs. Chicago State University, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • LIVE: Courtside Countdown—the traditional “launch” of basketball season. Featured guest: Coach Bill Self, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Click here for more info.
  • Alpha Group & Pioneers Zoom Chat, 7:00-9:30 p.m.

Friday, November 13            

• LIVE: Chapel, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
  • 1999 Men's Basketball vs. Valparaiso, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • Fall Dance Concert: Regenerate, 7:30-9:00 p.m.
  • Baseball: The Fall “World B” Series, Game #2, 8:30-11:30 p.m. (See description under Wednesday’s game.) Game #3 will take place on Sunday, November 15, 7:00-10:00 p.m., and will air on the ORU Sports Network.

Saturday, November 14                   

• ORU Missions Alumni Connect, 1:00-1:30 p.m.
  • 1999 Men's Basketball vs. University of Tulsa, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
  • Men’s Basketball: Blue vs. Gold, 5:00-7:00 p.m.
  • 2020 Alumni Awards Celebration & Special Message from President Wilson, 7:00 p.m.

Okay - you’re asking why I put this on the sports (men’s basketball) message board. Well, the Alumni Association teamed up with the Athletic Department to include a lot of athletic events via video/internet. 

Monday 11/9

5:00-7:00:  Women’s Soccer blue/gold game

8:00-10:00:  Men’s Soccer blue/gold game

Tuesday 11/10

5:00-7:00:  1974 Men’s basketball game vs. Kansas

8:00-10:00: Women’s volleyball blue/gold game

Wednesday 11/11

5:00-7:00:  2006 Men’s basketball game vs. Kansas

7:00-10:00:  Fall “World B” Series (baseball game #1)

Thursday 11/12

12:00-1:00:  Coffee with the Coaches (Misti Cussen/Paul Mills/Ryan Folmar)

5:00-7:00:  2006 Men’s basketball game vs. Chicago State

7:00-9:00:  Courtside Countdown - special guest: Bill Self

Friday 11/13

5:00-7:00:  1999 Men’s basketball game vs. Valparaiso 

8:30-11:30:  Fall “World B” Series baseball game #2; game #3 is on Sunday 7:00-10:00 on the ORU Sports Network 

Saturday 11/14

3:00-5:00:  1999 Men’s basketball game vs. Tulsa

5:00-7:00: Men’s basketball blue/gold game

Natalie Adams (new/returning) Alumni Director is to be commended for incorporating so many athletic events into this year’s virtual homecoming. Everyone should sign up and watch great memories and get a glimpse of this year’s squads. 

I'm very encouraged by the volume of ORU Athletics related content that is being included in the week-long Homecoming event.  Hopefully, we (the uber ORU fans on this forum) will participate and demonstrate to the "powers that be" how important ORU Athletics are to us.   

Just a reminder that you can watch and re-live the 1974 NCAA Elite Eight basketball game between ORU and Kansas this afternoon (Tuesday) at 5:00 central on the ORU Sports Network 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

Just a reminder that you can watch and re-live the 1974 NCAA Elite Eight basketball game between ORU and Kansas this afternoon (Tuesday) at 5:00 central on the ORU Sports Network 

I'm looking forward to watching this broadcast today.  I can vividly remember watching this game on TV as an eighth grader at my home in Idaho, and the highs and lows of the roller coaster of emotions as the game progressed.  It will also be interesting to see (what I expect to be) a stark contrast in how the game was played in the mid-70s compared to today.

Oh yeah...let's watch THAT game again....TheEagleman was there in March, 1974 and saw it live and it still gives me major heartburn when i think about blowing an 8 point lead with just 2:52 left.....Probably the biggest sports related disappointment of my 66 years......S#%&*!!!   😬

As one of the newer guys, it was fun to watch for the first time the biggest game in school history agaisnt Kansas in 1974.  Here are a few thoughts:

ORU lived and died by the outside shot.  They would have loved to have had a three point line back then.  Even though they had a somewhat small lineup, the Titans could really go after the offensive boards.

Anthony Roberts was a super sub off the bench.  That was a great game he had as freshman and he was open with about 10 seconds left but they missed passing to him in the corner.

ORU seemed to fall apart in the end because they went to a slow down offense of passing too much around the half court line.  That really put them in a funk the last three minutes.  Just was not that their style.  Of course they did that because there was no shot clock in 1974.

Overall, ORU played solid defense but Kansas hit some tough outside shots in those final minutes.  

Here is a few questions:  The announcers kept saying that Ken Trickey had decided to leave the team as coach and that he imposed a sit out rulle for himself agaisnt Kansas.  Why did he do that?  I was also suprised that RJ Fuqua Sr. was not on this team.  Had he already graduated?  

PS: It was good to see the President and founder Oral Roberts at the game in the beginning shots.

45 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Here is a few questions:  The announcers kept saying that Ken Trickey had decided to leave the team as coach and that he imposed a sit out rulle for himself agaisnt Kansas.  Why did he do that? 

It was due to one of those moments etched in ORU Athletics history...  here's an excerpt from an article regarding the incident.  FYI, DWI is now commonly called DUI.

Athletic Director/suspended coach Trickey met with Oral Roberts University founder and president Oral Roberts himself, who agreed to give him a second chance following his DWI arrest, "because this is a Christian school," so Trickey could coach in the regional final of college basketball's March Madness tournament. "I love Oral Roberts," Trickey said. Unfortunately, Trickey and ORU lost to Kansas 93-90 in overtime to miss appearing in the Final Four.

Richard Fuqua Sr.  finished his ORU career in 72-73 which was TheEaglemans' freshman year....the elder Fuqua was a great player and a really good guy....he scored 50 in his final Mabee Center appearance vs. Trinity then completed his senior season at MSG in NYC where ORU lost in round 1 to North Carolina. George Karl was the PG on that UNC squad...😁

What a JOY to watch the replay of the ORU-KU game from 2006!  I had not watched the whole game live in 2006, but remember gathering the family together when I saw that we were leading at halftime, and driving to a local sports grill to watch the final twelve minutes.

Things that I had forgotten:

What a COMPLETE player Caleb Green was.  He was double-teamed for most of the first half, but was killing KU with his passes, so they changed their approach in the second half. The dude could PASS!  And, he had a great turnaround move and a quick release - a deadly combination - which was critical to ORU's success in the second half.

I knew that Sophomore Marchello Vealy had played the game of his life, with seven three-pointers.  What I had forgotten was that he had made ONE three-pointer in his ORU career prior to that night!

ORU lead virtually wire-to-wire - and was clearly the better team that night.  This was no fluke.

Ken Tutt had a terrible game and was forcing shots (3 for 15 from the field), but hit a key three point shot and was 3-4 from the charity stripe in the final 40 seconds of the game to ice the win.

I'd encourage any of the ORU faithful to watch the replay on the ORU Sports Network.  Great fun...  

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2020 at 5:01 PM, ttowncount said:

I am attempting to get it now, but am not succeeding. 

Got it and enjoyed seeing it. 

53 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

What a JOY to watch the replay of the ORU-KU game from 2006!  I had not watched the whole game live in 2006, but remember gathering the family together when I saw that we were leading at halftime, and driving to a local sports grill to watch the final twelve minutes.

Things that I had forgotten:

What a COMPLETE player Caleb Green was.  He was double-teamed for most of the first half, but was killing KU with his passes, so they changed their approach in the second half. The dude could PASS!  And, he had a great turnaround move and a quick release - a deadly combination - which was critical to ORU's success in the second half.

I knew that Sophomore Marchello Vealy had played the game of his life, with seven three-pointers.  What I had forgotten was that he had made ONE three-pointer in his ORU career prior to that night!

ORU lead virtually wire-to-wire - and was clearly the better team that night.  This was no fluke.

Ken Tutt had a terrible game and was forcing shots (3 for 15 from the field), but hit a key three point shot and was 3-4 from the charity stripe in the final 40 seconds of the game to ice the win.

I'd encourage any of the ORU faithful to watch the replay on the ORU Sports Network.  Great fun...  

this evening we also watched the 2006 game.  Wow!  And what a game it was!

Makes me wonder... was this ORU’s greatest game EVER?  I can’t think of one better. 

• Upvote 1

uh yeah....for you younger guys maybe....but greatest win ever is arguably ORU 96 Louisville 93 in the Midwest Regional Semifinal  of the 1974 NCAA Tournament at Mabee Center....2 nights prior to the KU loss....great game and great win. But this 2006 win definitely in the conversation because Kansas was ranked 3rd.....:circle-logoi:

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

uh yeah....for you younger guys maybe....but greatest win ever is arguably ORU 96 Louisville 93 in the Midwest Regional Semifinal  of the 1974 NCAA Tournament at Mabee Center....2 nights prior to the KU loss....great game and great win. But this 2006 win definitely in the conversation because Kansas was ranked 3rd.....:circle-logoi:

AND graced the cover of Sports Illustrated that was released that morning. I remember riding up with my dad and reading the SI article, thinking this was going to be an ugly ugly loss. What a great night. 

12 hours ago, ttowncount said:

Makes me wonder... was this ORU’s greatest game EVER?  I can’t think of one better. 

It has to be up there. Maybe the home win against Missouri?

Did anyone get to watch the zoom meeting with Coach Mills, Coach Misti, and the other coaches for homecoming week?  I asked Coach Mills in the chat question about the new guys and who really stood out.  He is very excited about Kareem and said he is a 6'6 point guard.  Maybe he is the answer to our point guard questions.  He said Kareem had one rebound shy of a triple double in the scrimmage game that we can watch on Saturday.  Coach also mentioned RJ Glasper and Clover as two guys that he thinks can really help the team this year.

39 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Did anyone get to watch the zoom meeting with Coach Mills, Coach Missi, and the other coaches for homecoming week?  I asked Coach Mills in the chat question about the new guys and who really stood out.  He is very excited about Kareem and said he is a 6'6 point guard.  Maybe he is the answer to our point guard questions.  He said Kareem had one rebound shy of a triple double in the scrimmage game that we can watch on Saturday.  Coach also mentioned RJ Glasper and Clover as two guys that he thinks can really help the team this year.

I could not make it. Does anyone have a way to replay to this zoom meeting?