DI Council extends eligibility for winter sport student-athletes

ORUalum

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-council-extends-eligibility-winter-sport-student-athletes

It sounds like a good call, with all the Covid issues.  So with the Eagles, they could have guys like D'Mauria Jones and RJ Glasper stay around for their 6th year (all together} of college basketball.  The only question I have is: Will this effect recruiting and maybe they could give college basketball teams 15 scholarships instead of 13.  Otherwise, ORU may have all 13 players back for the 21-22 season.  Which, has probably never happened in school history.

Seniors and such who return for 5th or 6th years of competition next season do not count against the 13 scholarship limit.  It’s then up to the individual schools to decide how much (if any in some cases?) aid they want to provide to those student-athletes. 

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Seniors and such who return for 5th or 6th years of competition next season do not count against the 13 scholarship limit.  It’s then up to the individual schools to decide how much (if any in some cases?) aid they want to provide to those student-athletes. 

I think most low and mid-major schools might not be able to extend beyond the current limit of 13 (unless they happen to have a program defining player currently on the roster).

As a budget item, a scholarship looks expensive on a piece of paper, but in reality having a couple additional players does not actually cost a school much real money besides travel and meal expenses for that extra player.  

• Upvote 1

While we immediately think about the Seniors, the extra year of eligibility extends to ALL who compete this year.  Should they choose to accept it, this provides an additional year of eligibility for KO, Max, DJ, and each member of our highly-touted incoming class.  As an interesting twist, I would suspect that this rule effectively eliminates any red-shirting for this season as well, as playing this season (no matter the quantity of minutes) won't count against future eligibility. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

... As an interesting twist, I would suspect that this rule effectively eliminates any red-shirting for this season as well, as playing this season (no matter the quantity of minutes) won't count against future eligibility. 

🤔 Good question.

It brings up a lot of interesting future sceneiro's. What if a coach has a player who is just a bench guy and now all of a sudden this bench guy is coming back for a fifth year, when the coach thought he was leaving.  Now the coach has to say we love you but it is time to go!  Then coaches will also have players who would probably rather go play overseas and make some money instead of coming back for a 5th or 6th season (such as guys like K.O. or DJ Weaver).