NCAA Approves Nov. 25th Season Start

Old Titan

Full-blown practices start October 14th; no scrimmages or exhibitions permitted this season.

Merely curious:  can/will TU find room to play ORU in the time between 11/25 and conference play starting up roughly 5 weeks later?

It’s too bad, this year’s non conference schedule was pretty decent.

I had heard the AAC was considering going to a 20 game conference schedule this year. Not sure if that’s still happening.

That is good news!  Glad to hear the season will start basically on time (two weeks later then the orginal date).  Hopefully the Eagles can schedule at least ten non conference games.  That will give all the new guys time to get adjusted to D1 games.  

13 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

That is good news!  Glad to hear the season will start basically on time (two weeks later then the original date).  Hopefully the Eagles can schedule at least ten non conference games.  That will give all the new guys time to get adjusted to D1 games.  

How many games will this effect from usually a start date of November 5th. Schedule and what teams? Does anyone know? 

1 hour ago, ORU GRAD said:

How many games will this effect from usually a start date of November 5th. Schedule and what teams? Does anyone know? 

I don’t think anything is set in stone except for the Summit League schedule (and that could possibly change).

I would be surprised if any non conference games are played at this point.

ESPN is reporting that teams have a lot of flexibility in scheduling.  The minimum a team can play is 13 and the most is 25 games or 27 max if they are in one of those early season tournaments.  So that means if the Eagles play 16 conference games then they could schedule up to 9 non conference games or on the other side not schedule any.  ORU has six weeks between Nov. 25th and the first conference game (Jan. 7th).  So you would think they would at least play 6-8 nonconference games.

The problem is schools like ORU had already set up buy games with P5 schools (mostly prior to the new 11/25 start date). 

Are all those games and money just wiped out now? Are any teams even willing to play a non conference game?

I know that before everything went south we had already scheduled the following games which hopefully will still take place.  Specifically, those that currently fit into the new November 25 window would be:  at Oklahoma State (11/28), at Missouri State (12/5), at Wichita State (12/15), and home against University of Texas Arlington (12/19).  In addition thereto we were scheduled to play at Arkansas (11/10) and of course Tulsa and TCU with no dates set for either of those games.  If we could fit all of those games into the new window starting November 25, that would give us 7 games.  If we can work out the date with Tulsa, that gives us at least two nice opponents in Mabee Center, UTA and Tulsa.  If need be then pick up one or two NAIA teams at Mabee Center to complete the schedule.  That would be a very nice schedule.

While we have seen sports return to American life on a very limited basis, we have yet to see a significant move to allow fans at these events.  Until this happens, P5 schools are unlikely to offer large payouts to non-P5 opponents - and non-P5 schools will be incented to minimize the number of games played, as every additional game carries an incremental cost.  As Dr. C suggested, salvaging the conference season may be a best case scenario for this upcoming season.  During the period from November 25 until conference play begins, we could see some marquee P5 games (made-for-TV) scheduled, and non-P5 teams will be fortunate to land a few regional matchups with minimal travel costs (such as MoState, UALR. UTA, etc.) to prepare for the conference season.  

We just got this e-mail from Athletics. Fans in the stands!

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - Following a vote by the NCAA Division I Council Wednesday, the 2020-21 men's and women's basketball seasons have an official start date to safely begin competition.

Per the NCAA's official announcement, institutions can play its first game November 25, which is the day before Thanksgiving. The Golden Eagles are allowed to begin on-court practices October 14 and will have 42 days to conduct a maximum of 30 practices.

Full schedules for the men and women will be released in the near future with no scrimmages or exhibitions allowed prior to the first permissible date of competition.

ORU plans to allow fans into the Mabee Center for home games in a socially-distant manner. Any fans interested in ticket packages can call or text 918-495-7678 for more information.

For the latest information on ORU Athletics, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go t o www.ORUAthletics.com.

I am shocked and ecstatic that ORU is already committing to have fans in the Mabee. That's great news. 

As far as the schedule, as ORU 82 points out above, all of our November December games are fairly close/easy travel. Surely we can make most of those happen? AND get TU on the schedule? Why would they not be willing to play given the circumstances?

37 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Why would they not be willing to play given the circumstances?

Money.

1. Different leagues may have different COVID testing mandates that low major teams like ORU simply cannot comply with.

2. If a P5 team isn’t going to have fans in attendance then they may not see the point in paying a Summit League team for a home game.

• Upvote 1

I hear what you are saying Dr. C and this is where it gets interesting.  All of the contracts for the games I listed above I assume were signed during or after June of 2020, which means when the contracts were signed the Covid-19 issue was already on the table and the parties signed with full knowledge of the problems Covid would present.  Therefore there could be a legal argument to be made that a contract is a contract and you P-5 teams are bound by the same.  However, I do not claim to know what was put into the contracts so that at the end of the day, we will just have to wait and see.  

• Upvote 1

I certainly hope you are correct!

The non conference schedule was probably the BEST in years! 

On 9/17/2020 at 12:51 PM, ORU82 said:

I know that before everything went south, we had already scheduled the following games which hopefully will still take place.  Specifically, those that currently fit into the new November 25 window would be:  at Oklahoma State (11/28), at Missouri State (12/5), at Wichita State (12/15), and home against University of Texas Arlington (12/19).  In addition thereto we were scheduled to play at Arkansas (11/10) and of course Tulsa and TCU with no dates set for either of those games.  If we could fit all of those games into the new window starting November 25, that would give us 7 games.  If we can work out the date with Tulsa, that gives us at least two nice opponents in Mabee Center, UTA and Tulsa.  If need be, then pick up one or two NAIA teams at Mabee Center to complete the schedule.  That would be a very nice schedule.

I like our chances for a nine game schedule non-conference plus 16 Conference games. That would be fantastic at this late date. Hopefully, we can get Arkansas, Tulsa, and TCU to reschedule within this 2020 part of the season. This team needs that non-conference to bring about chemistry and allow players to come to the top. We have excellent depth this year but young to Division 1. Maybe we can pick up a game with the new entry to the Summit League? I am ready to see how this year shakes out. 

Over TWO more months til our Golden Eagles take the court?....TheEagleman is really jonesing for some ORU basketball....was hoping for an opener vs. arch rival Rogers State the first week of November....not sure I can wait until Thanksgiving.....😬

Passing along some items I heard about:

* The late start of the season will result in the loss of the games against Arkansas and TU, as well as another game with an unknown opponent. The coaches are negotiating with a Big 12 team to replace the Arkansas contest. TU will not re-schedule. The rest of the schedule is still in place for now, but that could change at any time. 

*  Homecoming in early November will be virtual. ORU will televise the men’s Blue vs. White scrimmage via the new media outlet as part of Homecoming. They will also televise two baseball Fall intra squad (World Series) games as well. Maybe some other sports? I think the coaches might also present a preseason review/analysis to alumni (on line presentation).

*  The annual preseason basketball dinner and auction will not be held at the Mabee Center - but they will televise/stream the event with a possible high profile guest and hold an on-line auction. If you have any ideas for auction items, please contact the athletic department. 

*  Summit League is working to make sure all teams follow the same safety/testing protocols. All travel will be by bus. There is even some talk of possibly playing some conference games in a ‘pod’  format. 

• Upvote 1