ORU Athletics Launches New Sports Network

Dr. Cornelius

ORU Athletics Launches New Sports Network

TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts Athletics has partnered with the University digital media department to launch the new ORU Sports Network (ORUSN) to broadcast 90-plus home events via online streaming with a student-run production crew beginning the 2020-21 season.

The new ORUSN will include full, in-game broadcasts with commentary at home events for Golden Eagles baseball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer and volleyball along with select men's and women's tennis matches and track and field events. The network also will include featured content such as student-athlete and coach spotlights, facility tours and a behind-the-scenes look into all aspects of ORU Athletics. Another feature of ORUSN will be audio-only, radio quality, streaming for baseball and men's basketball road games.

"We are extremely excited for this new partnership across campus to enhance the ORU brand and showcase Golden Eagles athletics globally through the ORUSN," Assistant Athletic Director of Communications Scott Slarks said. "The opportunity to continue providing fans a free video stream was the highest priority, while adding enhanced coverage of all our programs will push the department to new heights in this digital age."... (more)

I guess that means the transition from terrestrial radio to internet only audio broadcasts? I think the upsides of broadcasting in house outweigh the downsides... If you're not on ESPN or ESPN2 viewers aren't really going to stumble on your game. How many casual viewers watch an ORU or Summit League game just because they browse past it on the app?

Fans can view the new ORUSN via the ORU Athletics website, https://oruathletics.com/watch/, or the new ORU Athletics app that will launch September 2020.

My only question is what exactly the "ORU Athletics app" refers to. People aren't really going to watch hour plus long events on their phones... hopefully this includes ROKU and Apple TV apps.

Anything on your phone can be watched on your tv by simply connecting it to your tv using Apple TV or whatever similar product you prefer.

• 3 months later...

If you get a chance, take a look at the ORU Sports Network older posts and find the Golden Hour.  This is basically the radio show where they interview Coach Mills.  He did mention the Eagles have some injuries and that Lufile will be back.  Coach did not say when but hopefully soon.  You can also watch the old Rogers State game if you missed it when it aired about ten days ago.

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to be a good citizen. 😀

I watched the OSU game on the ORU SN Roku App.  What an amazing development!  I had to make the annual trek to the Christmas tree farm outside of Terrell (just shoot me please) and all that it implies so I couldn't be by the channel at game time.  No problem with the on demand feature!  It is so much more convenient to dial it up on my Roku rather than sending the broadcast from my phone to the TV like I've done previously.  Is this new this year or I did I miss it last year? 🤦‍♂️

Thanks to the ORU sports department for this exciting development especially for out of town fans.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to be a good citizen. 😀

I watched the OSU game on the ORU SN Roku App.  What an amazing development!  I had to make the annual trek to the Christmas tree farm outside of Terrell (just shoot me please) and all that it implies so I couldn't be by the channel at game time.  No problem with the on demand feature!  It is so much more convenient to dial it up on my Roku rather than sending the broadcast from my phone to the TV like I've done previously.  Is this new this year or I did I miss it last year? 🤦‍♂️

Thanks to the ORU sports department for this exciting development especially for out of town fans.

I totally agree as I have helped a friend get it on his Roku. As others have mentioned, I wish they would make it available on AppleTV, too. 

Thanks for sharing these clips. It was good to see Max back draining threes. He is incredible and so fun to watch.