Thoughts on new players

Keenan Henderson

Thought I would throw out a topic for the summer and see what your thoughts are on the new players, based on stats or videos that you may have seen of them.  If you want to add your review of a certain player: strengthens, weaknesses, etc., then feel free to do that.  Here is mine on RJ Glasper:  he may be the most important player that was brought in this year because of Fuqua's graduation.

RJ Glasper:  He was option number one at Arkansas Tech and lead them in scoring for three years.  It seems that as he matured at the D2 level that he learned to be more of a leader and facilitor (leading the team in assists).  He has some valuable experience and is 22 years old.  Really needs to step up and lead the team in 2020-21.  RJ can score  but his main role at ORU is to find his teammates and use his speed on defense to create turnovers.  If Glasper can adapt to being more of a passer then the number one scoring option then he should be the quarterback the Golden Eagles need.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's hard to tell how much of an impact Glasper will make for ORU in the Summit League.

Glasper averaged 28.5 and was MVP in the 5A championship game his senior season in HS.

Glasper Announces for Arkansas

Forrest City guard R.J. Glasper has announced his intentions to walk on at Arkansas and bypass several scholarship offers.

Glasper, 5-11, 175, picked the Hogs over scholarship offers from University of Central Oklahoma, North Arkansas College, Arkansas Tech, Williams Baptist College, UAPB, Southern Arkansas University, University of Arkansas - Fort Smith, University of Nebraska at Kearney, Holmes Community College and Labette Community College.

He averaged 28.5 points and 5.5 rebounds while leading the Mustangs to the Class 5A state title and being named the MVP of the

Who knows, maybe Glasper could end up being a Vinnie Shahid type player...

Asking a D-2 veteran to come into a D-1 program and play a significant point guard role with no experience at this level (and speed) of play and with limited time with his new teammates is a HUGE ask. Most good JUCO transfers take a half of the season to adjust, and really don't come into their own until their senior season, whereas RJ only has one year of eligibility.  I'm hoping that RJ will adapt well during the non-conference schedule and be "game-ready" for conference play, but am also hopeful that some of our other new talent will be able to contribute valuable minutes in the point guard role.

Which brings us to another important piece of the class and that is Sheldon Stevens.  He is another guard who will need to step up and make a difference in the backcourt.  As most of us know, he is a highly ranked juco player and two time all American from his region.  Looking at his stats he can score (21 points a game) but also is very productive in rebounding (5.4) and assists (4.1).  He had a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio last year, which is always important for someone who is handling the ball quite a bit.  Stevens is listed as a combo guard so he will probably play a little bit at the point guard position too.  His main role next year could be as a 6th man, who gives a real spark off the bench.

Ok moving on. We can discuss Jamie Bergens. As a talented freshman it would be ideal to red shirt him, just as Sutton did with Ken Tuit, but since all the point guards graduated that won't be happening. He looks like a strong playmaker who has good court vision, can really drive the ball to the basket and also shoot the three.  He will probably play fewer minutes say 10 to 15 and mainly be a back up. Jamie has a bright future at ORU but just needs some experience and maturity to really be that all star point guard (maybe 2-3 years).

11 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Ok moving on. We can discuss Jamie Bergens. As a talented freshman it would be ideal to red shirt him, just as Sutton did with Ken Tuit, but since all the point guards graduated that won't be happening. He looks like a strong playmaker who has good court vision, can really drive the ball to the basket and also shoot the three.  He will probably play fewer minutes say 10 to 15 and mainly be a back up. Jamie has a bright future at ORU but just needs some experience and maturity to really be that all star point guard (maybe 2-3 years).

FYI - Ken Tutt and Caleb Green both played as true freshmen.

Is Jamie a true point guard, or more of a combo guard?  From the limited highlights that I have seen of Jamie, I see him as more of a scorer than a distributor of the ball, but one who can also cover some minutes at the point.  It appears that RJ Glasper was brought in to manage the point for this upcoming season, but it will be interesting to see who is being groomed for the full-time role for 21-22. 

TheEagleman is getting old....can't afford to wait many more years.....Time for ORU to win NOW!!!....:shield-logo:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

FYI - Ken Tutt and Caleb Green both played as true freshmen.

Is Jamie a true point guard, or more of a combo guard?  From the limited highlights that I have seen of Jamie, I see him as more of a scorer than a distributor of the ball, but one who can also cover some minutes at the point.  It appears that RJ Glasper was brought in to manage the point for this upcoming season, but it will be interesting to see who is being groomed for the full-time role for 21-22. 

Ok you are right, the 2003-2004 roster on ORU's website has Ken Tutt listed as a R (Redshirted) FR but I guess he never redshirted.  The problem the Eagles have is really none of the new guys, besides Glasper, is really a point guard.  They are all combo guards: Thompson, Stevens, and Bergens.  So it  will be kind of point guard by committee this year.  Even Jurgens could possible to play point as he did a few times in 2018-19 season.

Ok we have talked about the new guards, so how about the incoming frontcourt players: Clover and Ishmael Plet. Any thoughts on what they bring to the table for next season?

We have a great complement of both guards and front court and I am excited this summer to observe the recent recruits with the returning veterans. When you look at the returners with Lacis, Obanor, Lufile, and D.J. Weaver  with newcomers Clover and Plet. That is six front court players which depth we have not had in several years. We have a wonderful mix of games this year to help this team come together. If we can get past this flu funk and barring injuries, then look for an exciting year.

• Like 1

Clover seems to have a defensive mindset - which is good. Plet is an intriguing player who appears to have a versatile skill set with athleticism. Let’s hope they mesh with the returning players and that coaches can determine the proper player combinations. 

Good points everyone.  Just would add that Clover looks like a man among boys on his high school youtube videos but is listed at 6'8 and 210.  That is small for playing the five at the D1 level.  He needs to bulk up about 25-30 pounds to be a real force inside in the upcoming years.  Remember Lufile is  6-8 and 275!  Just throwing this out there but guessing that Coach Mills will probably redshirt 1-2 guys this year.  With 13 scholarship players, most likely only 11 will ever see the light of day on the court. Which of the new players do you think might be redshirted in 2021?

3 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Good points everyone.  Just would add that Clover looks like a man among boys on his high school youtube videos but is listed at 6'8 and 210.  That is small for playing the five at the D1 level.  He needs to bulk up about 25-30 pounds to be a real force inside in the upcoming years.  Remember Lufile is  6-8 and 275!  Just throwing this out there but guessing that Coach Mills will probably redshirt 1-2 guys this year.  With 13 scholarship players, most likely only 11 will ever see the light of day on the court. Which of the new players do you think might be redshirted in 2021?

With  just 3 freshmen who will not be red-shirted in  2020-21 with added depth and all will get minutes of playing time. Bergens will not red-shirt this season, my opinion, but may be like our freshmen guard Abmas who was a magnificent surprise. We will need Clover and Plet as significant assets to give great depth in the frontcourt of Obanor, Lufile, Lacis, and D.J. It will work itself out in the non-conference season. The other recent additions will not red-shirt unless injuries take place. This is just my take. Bring on Arkansas. 

ORU can beat the Hogs.....especially in front of an empty arena.....:circle-logoi:

Arkansas is my second favorite team in college basketball ( of course ORU #1) and they are bringing in 10 new players. So yes they may struggle early agaisnt the Eagles.  Could be wrong but maybe Coach Mills will redshirt Kareem Thompson. That would still give him three years left because as far as I can tell he was never redshirted in junior college. Thompson has good size but would be surprised if he is not anything more than an end of the bench kinda player. Similar to D' Maria Jones

8 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Arkansas is my second favorite team in college basketball ( of course ORU #1) and they are bringing in 10 new players. So yes they may struggle early agaisnt the Eagles.  Could be wrong but maybe Coach Mills will redshirt Kareem Thompson. That would still give him three years left because as far as I can tell he was never redshirted in junior college. Thompson has good size but would be surprised if he is not anything more than an end of the bench kinda player. Similar to D' Maria Jones

Musselman seems to be a great recruiter. I always rooted for Mike Anderson since he seemed like such a good guy but Musselman is landing highly regarded players.

I think Thompson will probably play a big role this upcoming season (no info just a guess) due to his size and ability to play the 1-3.

Early Prediction.....take the Golden Eagles and the points.....ORU 82  Arkansas 76....😎:tb-blue:

The coaches seem to be high on Thompson’s ability and versatility as a player.