Michael Jordan in the Mabee Center

Old Titan

The Tulsa World has been running a lot of stories on Michael Jordan during “The Last Dance” run on ESPN; including a feature on North Carolina with Jordan playing in the Oil Capital Classic back in 1982 at the Mabee Center. 

The story included the stat sheet of TU’s upset win over the Tar Heels, and I’m almost certain that perfect penmanship on the old memograph copy is none other than our own TrueBlue82, who was head of the stat team for host ORU that year.

And, if the numbers don’t add up, it’s because I was his sidekick on stat row, responsible for tracking WAY too many statistical categories.  Like the old joke goes:  “No one said there would be math.”  LOL!

69418F41-1271-40BC-9F3D-C40E0388C499.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking of that weekend last evening - and the photo of the stat sheet brings back all the memories.  Yes - the pen IS my handiwork, which I immediately recognized.  But, best of all, the equation of FGA-FGM+FTA-FTM = Rebounds (Off + Def + Team + Deadball), so we obviously worked as a GREAT stat team that evening (or fudged the deadball rebounds to make it all add up).  I remember Steve Harris having an incredible game, with 26 points in 27 minutes, but I had forgotten Bruce Vanley's statline - 25 points, 11 boards, took 16 shots (FG+FT) and missed ONE.  Pretty amazing.

I remember being so disappointed that Tulsa upset UNC that evening, as I was so looking forward to ORU (victors over Pan American on the other side of the bracket) having the chance to play against the MJ and the Tarheels in the Championship game.  Instead, we took on the cross-town rival Golden Hurricane the following night, losing 63-56 in Ken Hayes' final game as coach of the Titans, as he was fired shortly thereafter.  It was a tumultuous December weekend on the ORU campus, to say the least.

I don’t remember much about that UNC-Tulsa game. I do remember the ORU-TU match-up the next night; TU was sluggish after the big win the night before, and neither team played well.

In case anyone is wondering how ORU managed to lure Dean Smith into back-to-back games in Tulsa that weekend, he did it to fulfill a recruiting promise to Jenks native and UNC starting guard Steve Hale, who had a modest stat line for the game in the house where his father Jerry coached the Titan teams featuring Hall of Famers Anthony Roberts, Alvin Scott, and Arnold Duggar in the three seasons following Ken Trickey's first departure.

As for the coaching change in the aftermath of the TU game, it basically represents “ The Day The Music Died” in terms of ORU's Cinderella decade on the national stage.  Look at that attendance figure for the doubleheader that night.  I bet I can count on one hand (maybe two?) how many times ORU has played in front of 10,000 fans in the Mabee Center since that fateful weekend.  For a variety of reasons (but none so more than this), the program has never had the same lofty profile - nationally or locally - since Ken Hayes was fired 4 decades ago.

Such an interesting list of players in that game.

Michael Jordan

Sam Perkins

Buzz Petersen

Matt Doherty

Brad Daugherty

Steve Hale

Steve Harris

Vince Williams

Vince lived in Tulsa for many years after graduating from Tulsa and might still live in Tulsa now.  A really nice guy that I had the pleasure of being in a fantasy football league with maybe 20 years ago.

TU absolutely used a 7 man rotation in that game.

Amazing to think how different things might have been for ORU basketball if ORU had ended that tournament 2-0 vs 1-1.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:58 AM, Old Titan said:

As for the coaching change in the aftermath of the TU game, it basically represents “ The Day The Music Died” in terms of ORU's Cinderella decade on the national stage.  Look at that attendance figure for the doubleheader that night.  I bet I can count on one hand (maybe two?) how many times ORU has played in front of 10,000 fans in the Mabee Center since that fateful weekend.  For a variety of reasons (but none so more than this), the program has never had the same lofty profile - nationally or locally - since Ken Hayes was fired 4 decades ago.

ORU got rid of someone in a piss poor fashion? Nah...I'm not buying it. 

ORUVOICE still alive?......I thought someone had posted that he had passed away a few months ago......😎

3 hours ago, oruvoice said:

ORU got rid of someone in a piss poor fashion? Nah...I'm not buying it. 

let it go GIF

A little fun jab never hurt anyone. 

Although, I guess I could continue to let them walk all over me and bad-mouth me behind closed doors, while smiling to my face. 

Different people handle things in different ways and you've always been a better man than me.

5 hours ago, oruvoice said:

A little fun jab never hurt anyone. 

Although, I guess I could continue to let them walk all over me and bad-mouth me behind closed doors, while smiling to my face. 

Different people handle things in different ways and you've always been a better man than me.

LOL - we all know THAT’S not true. 😉

Look at the bright side:  you are now a card-carrying member of “The Unceremoniously Released By ORU Athletics Club”, which includes a LONG and illustrious list of players, coaches, administrators, cheerleaders, mascots, etc., stretching back over half a century!

They ought to have a special game night to recognize all the members of the club over the years - it might outdraw homecoming. 🤣

• Haha 1

Remember the game well went to the game with jay brundage to see sam perkins who was from our area in n y what a bonus to watch m j!🏀