2020 - 21 Schedule

ORUalum

So how does it work contractually if schools simply don’t play a bunch of games they were committed to play?  

While I would imagine a lot of contracts are fundamentally equal, there could always be stipulations, omissions, etc. that make each contract unique. Just depends on how well the schools can work together to reschedule the games.

I’m sure there will be some cases where, if a school or coach is looking for an excuse to get out of a game they/he just doesn’t want to play (like Doug Wojcik at TU did a few seasons back to ORU), they might use the current situation to get out of a deal completely and not reschedule the game(s).

Assuming we don’t games until after the fall semester is over, how does this work? Are those games just cancelled and we have a shorter season? Or do post season tournaments get pushed back a month or two to accommodate? That might not be as unrealistic as it seems at first glance. All venues are basically unhooked right now anyways right now anyways, right? 

This whole thing is crazy. I need sports.

• Like 1

It should be interesting the next week or so with the NBA and baseball starting up again. You could say they are the guinea pig for college sports. If they have success and are able to finish the season then we will most likely see ORU basketball by at least 2021.  If not then maybe college sports will have to take a year off.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It should be interesting the next week or so with the NBA and baseball starting up again. You could say they are the guinea pig for college sports. If they have success and are able to finish the season then we will most likely see ORU basketball by at least 2021.  If not then maybe college sports will have to take a year off.

The NBA's last-ditch effort to complete their 2019-2020 season in Orlando has no bearing whatsoever on whether colleges will be playing any sports this fall, winter, or spring.

Regardless of what may be happening at the professional level in sports, until the majority of universities have (at least some) students on campus, going to (at least some) classes on campus, there simply won't be any college sports - period.

As for the NBA, I think there is a better chance they complete their tournament-in-a-bubble this month than there is a chance they start the upcoming season on time and play a full 82-game schedule.  Heck, the Canadian government just announced the Blue Jays can't host baseball games in Toronto for the abbreviated MLB season getting ready to start; does anyone think it will be any different for the Raptors in 90 days?  And which teams will feel comfortable at that time traveling to/playing in Houston?  Phoenix?  Miami?  OKLAHOMA CITY??

I expect the NBA will wait until Christmas or after the first of the year before trying to tip-off this coming season; hopefully by then the pandemic numbers in the US will be trending in a more positive direction than currently.

But as for colleges this school year?  Who knows; it sure doesn't look good right now...

• 2 weeks later...

You may have seen that they just released the Summit League schedule for 2021, which also may end up being the whole schedule for next year.  Time will tell.  Looking at the schedule, it starts out pretty good for ORU with a couple of home games but then gets much tougher.  It looks like the Golden Eagles could be 8-8 in league play just because the backcourt is so inexperienced.  South Dakota State brings back 7 of their top 8 players, so once again they are the favorites.

If you go to our "official" website (oruathletics.com) and look at the MBB 20-21 schedule, it is posted BUT only contains the Summit League portion of the schedule.  Does this mean someone did not post the OOC portion of the schedule or does this mean MBB will not start now until January, 2021?

I think it just means that they're posting what they know at the moment. And later, when they flesh out the other portion, they'll post that.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if ORUTerry's post should make me laugh or cry--at least, that last point about 2020. 

• Upvote 1

Does this mean the entire conference season will be played at tournament like event?

The cynic in me thinks that Sioux Falls/Sanford would rather do that every year no matter the COVID situation.

50 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Does this mean the entire conference season will be played at tournament like event?

The cynic in me thinks that Sioux Falls/Sanford would rather do that every year no matter the COVID situation.

My understanding is that each school will host four teams from the conference and will travel to play the other four teams.  At each site, the teams will play two games against each other on consecutive days (Fri/Sat, for example).  During the nine week season, each team will receive an off week with no games, so eight of the conference teams will be playing every week.  This will cut travel in half, but sure makes for an interesting twist to the season, with scheduling sure to play a significant role in the final standings.  In theory, a school could have a "best case" schedule in which they would host all the four Dakota teams, and travel to all of the others (in ORU's case - Denver, WIU, UMKC, Omaha) - or could also have to travel to each of the Dakota schools (good luck with THAT schedule).  I wonder if the scheduling will be completely random (luck of the draw), or if they will try to balance out such inconsistencies.  I also wonder if the MBB and WBB schedules will be "reversed", where if the Men were playing at Denver that the Women would host Denver.  That could make a lot of sense, as each school would know that it would be hosting a home game series (either MBB or WBB) every week, except for the bye week. 

The conference season will begin on Jan. 2, and the conference tournament schedule has not changed.

Thanks for the explanation. I assume my season tickets will include all the games at the Mabee Center. If they allow fans

The elephant in the room for this whole endeavor is something I haven’t heard or seen anyone mention yet:  the referees. 

Traveling all over the country, night after night, on commercial flights, hanging out in various hotels, restaurants and bars, then getting in everyone’s faces and handling the ball constantly during games, they fit the very definition of “super spreaders”.

Sorry, folks, but I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around how this is going to work for very long in reality...

Breaking News....Yorkavich will officiate all ORU road games...😬🏀😳

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

The elephant in the room for this whole endeavor is something I haven’t heard or seen anyone mention yet:  the referees. 

Traveling all over the country, night after night, on commercial flights, hanging out in various hotels, restaurants and bars, then getting in everyone’s faces and handling the ball constantly during games, they fit the very definition of “super spreaders”.

Sorry, folks, but I’m having trouble wrapping my brain around how this is going to work for very long in reality...

Even though it would be "cleaner" from a COVID perspective, I certainly hope that the officiating crew from game one of the series would NOT be the refs for game two the following day.  If they do carry over for both games, you may see a record number of technical fouls called in the first half as emotions from the prior night flame red-hot from the opening tip-off.