2020 - 21 Schedule

ORUalum

1 hour ago, goyotes said:

Couple of observations:

• on paper, NDSU looks to have gotten a favorable draw on several fronts.
  • ORU really doesn't have it too bad either; no back-to-back road weekends (one of the few schools with that going for them).
  • SDSU drew a tough slate; on the road at both NDSU and ORU.

This is so strange, I can't begin to imagine how it might play out.  Just praying that all the teams can stay healthy enough to play in Sioux Falls in March.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Couple of observations:

• on paper, NDSU looks to have gotten a favorable draw on several fronts.
  • ORU really doesn't have it too bad either; no back-to-back road weekends (one of the few schools with that going for them).

This is so strange, I can't imagine how it might play out.  Just praying that all the teams can stay healthy enough to play in Sioux Falls in March.

Brilliant observation OT. I like our schedule and yes, NDSU winning last year's conference championship should have a little favor but overall I feel we have done okay if this is the actual schedule. I just hope for some games in the non-conference schedule. At least 6 or 7 games with 3 away and 4 home games in November and December. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Jackrabbits also have their bye week in week 1, which is somewhat worthless.  They definitely drew the short straw.  The league may have to make it up to them by playing the conference tournament close by... 😏

On 10/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

In theory, a school could have a "best case" schedule in which they would host all the four Dakota teams, and travel to all of the others (in ORU's case - Denver, WIU, UMKC, Omaha) - or could also have to travel to each of the Dakota schools (good luck with THAT schedule).  I wonder if the scheduling will be completely random (luck of the draw), or if they will try to balance out such inconsistencies. 

In reviewing the released schedule, it is clear that it was not simply "luck of the draw".  Every non-Dakota school has two road series and two home series against the four Dakota teams.  Glad to see that there was some thought given to balance out the schedules and the travel.

SDSU is going to be very good this year.  They have about 80% of their players returning, including all five starters.  So yeah, give them a tougher schedule to even things out.  ORU has had like a 1-11 record against them in the last few years so maybe they can win one of those games at the Mabee Center.  Just thinking it is going to be tough to win two in a row against anyone on back to back nights (home or road) unless the Eagles are playing Western Illinois.

• 2 weeks later...

NCAA D-1 teams can start playing games one month from this weekend; has anyone heard ANYTHING about ORU playing any games, anywhere, from that date until the Summit season starts in January?

(BTW, college basketball writer Jeff Goodman wrote an article a week or so ago listing the few conferences that had announced their league schedules; Summit commissioner Tom Douple was quoted as only committing to a sixteen-game schedule, with no other details finalized yet.)

With travel being a concern due to Covid-19....seems like the perfect time to revive the old Big Four or All College Tourney in OKC and have ORU, OU, OSU and TU play each other in a round robin tournament....they can play in OKC or at the BOK or home sites over a period of a week or so....would really make sense....which is why it won't happen.....😪

19 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

With travel being a concern due to Covid-19....seems like the perfect time to revive the old Big Four or All College Tourney in OKC and have ORU, OU, OSU and TU play each other in a round robin tournament....they can play in OKC or at the BOK or home sites over a period of a week or so....would really make sense....which is why it won't happen.....😪

I can only imagine the layers of difficulties in putting together a schedule right now: 

• The big boys, crippled by reduced revenues since March, perhaps not wanting to pay the traditional kind of guarantees (or even cover travel costs?) for the low- and mid-majors to come play at their places.
  • Coaches and athletic directors tripping over each other re: what type of opponents they want to schedule, and where, and when.
  • School administrators getting involved re: social distancing protocols for players, coaches, fans, etc.
  • And even state and municipal restrictions on gatherings that are starting to tighten again as a result of the latest surge in cases.

This is like trying to jump in a boxcar of a moving train that keeps varying its speed.

With wolves nipping at your heels...

In the rain...

(too much? lol) 😉

• Upvote 1

Less than a month until the NCAA season is set to begin and still 0 confirmed games? How is that possible?

Can we at least confirm that the team has been practicing? I know I've seen several posts of what looked to be individual, or maybe small group, workouts with the coaches (is that normally allowed?) but I don't think I've seen anything to indicate the whole team is working out together?

Oklahoma State released its non-conference schedule today; ORU is not on it.

Instead, they have a “TBA” on Dec. 8th. 

What the heck??

41 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Oklahoma State released its non-conference schedule today; ORU is not on it.

Instead, they have a “TBA” on Dec. 8th. 

What the heck??

That's not a good sign...

Not to jump to conclusions but as for an OOC team how could you not schedule Okie State?  The only closer D-I team to us is Tulsa and apparently they have already stiffed us in not wanting to play.  As for OSU, we could literally dress in Mabee and bus to the game like you would in high school.  I am not suggesting we do this but to pass on playing the Cowboys is insane.  In this time of wanting to play close to home in the OOC to me that means any and all of the following because they are all very close to us.  Those teams would be Tulsa, Arkansas, OSU, OU, Wichita State and Missouri State.  With each of these teams you get an easy bus ride and literally no money having to be spent on overnight hotel accommodations.  

It could still be ORU (the TBA game) and they just not have worked out the details, time, etc.  Life is so up in the air, like this game, but we know God is in control.  At least they do not have another team named for that date.

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It could still be ORU (the TBA game) and they just not have worked out the details, time, etc.  Life is so up in the air, like this game, but we know God is in control.  At least they do not have another team named for that date.

• Haha 1

I wonder if our administration is holding our athletic department up on finalizing the schedule? Nothing to back this up but this situation seems to have Billy Wilson power move written all over it. 

I have degrees from other universities and they too have not announced their respective ooc schedules either, so I am not sure Dr. Wilson has anything to do with no ooc being announced yet.  I am not sure any other Summit team has listed their ooc schedule either.  Could it be that everyone is waiting to see where this entire Covid thing is in a week or two, or is there some type of unwritten order from the Summit League Offices telling everyone to hold off?