2020 - 21 Schedule

ORUalum

Man, that's a "Goldilocks" non-conference schedule:  depending on the dates; it's "not too hard, not too easy...just right!" 👍

• Upvote 1

@TrueBlue82 Curious why you have down a horizon league home game AND a horizon league away game. Is it a 2-game commitment each year? Most of these conference challenges are 1-game commitments each year. 
Also, looking at our schedule from last year, I wonder if a return game to Houston Baptist is in the works? Most of those games are Home/Home series if my memory serves me correctly. 

1 hour ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

@TrueBlue82 Curious why you have down a horizon league home game AND a horizon league away game. Is it a 2-game commitment each year? Most of these conference challenges are 1-game commitments each year. 
Also, looking at our schedule from last year, I wonder if a return game to Houston Baptist is in the works? Most of those games are Home/Home series if my memory serves me correctly. 

Horizon League Commissioner Jon LeCrone and Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple jointly announced that their league members will begin a men’s basketball “Showdown” series in 2020 that will span three seasons.

League officials will work together to ensure the best possible hardwood matchups for the Horizon League-Summit League Showdown based on three criteria: projected team rankings, a 3-year RPI/NET average, and the latest Ken Pom Adjusted Efficiency Rating.

Each of those factors will be weighted equally, and starting in June of 2020, they will be used to determine the first set of games for the series that will be played on pre-selected dates. A similar process and timeline will be followed in 2021 and 2022.

“Guided by our Board and the Horizon League Council, we have been implementing strategies to improve our national competitiveness in men’s basketball,” said LeCrone. “The Horizon League-Summit League Showdown adds two intriguing, quality games, which we believe helps address the challenges we face in getting home-and-home non-conference contests, provides exciting matchups and fits into our overall vision for excellence.”

Each member of the Horizon League and The Summit League will have a home and an away game against two different programs from the other league in each of those three seasons. The Summit League will find a school outside of its membership to be the 10th opponent for the Horizon League.

“We are excited to partner with the Horizon League on this scheduling alliance,” said Douple. “We’ve listened to our coaches and their desires to build competitive and equitable schedules for the betterment of our league and their programs. This agreement ensures them of at least two games a season that fit that criteria.”

Games will take place in 2020 on November 17th and 21st. In 2021, the dates for the series are November 16th and 20th and in 2022, the dates are November 15th and 19th.

With the announcement of Robert Morris joining the Horizon League, it will be interesting to see how this pans out, as Horizon now has 12 teams to the Summit's 9.

Nsure how many folks here in Oklahoma (and the South in general) realize just how slowly other regions in the US are “opening back up”, particularly college campuses.

With freshmen across the nation traditionally scheduled to begin moving into dorms in less than 45 days, decisions about moving forward must be made soon by presidents and commissioners across the land (notice I intentionally did not include coaches or athletic directors).

The Summit League is so far flung, I find it difficult to fathom every school will be ready to throw open their doors to students on campus the first week of August. 

And if not, it remains to be seen the cascade event that will result in terms of college athletics in the fall and winter of this school year.

You might be right Old Titan, but since the fatality rate in teenagers and those in their young 20s is nearly non existent, and since  most universities do not have the financial ability to simply close their doors, I suspect schools will be forced to open and simply take safety precautions.

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

You might be right Old Titan, but since the fatality rate in teenagers and those in their young 20s is nearly non existent, and since  most universities do not have the financial ability to simply close their doors, I suspect schools will be forced to open and simply take safety precautions.

So, “teenagers and those in their 20’s” teach the classes?

...work in Administration, Operations, Student Activities, Fund Raising & Development, Recruitment, Alumni Relations, Marketing, etc?

...visit the campuses daily as parents of students, vendors, tourists, etc?

Well, just as long as those kids are OK - after all, they’re the cash cows in this equation, anyway...

(NOTE:  Truth be told, I’m playing a little “devil’s advocate” there. But these are the sort of issues universities around the country are struggling with this very minute. There is no clear path to follow, and I doubt very seriously all schools will follow the same one...)

Certainly many universities have many professors near or past retirement age.  Many of the universities also are not in a position to survive if they don’t have a fall session.  While ORU doesn’t have football, there are many universities that depend on football $ to fund their entire athletic departments and in some cases to help fund the university.

Based on that I suspect that nearly all private universities and probably most public universities will be in session this fall and if they have a football team, they will be playing football with a significant portion of fans in the stands.

A lot of summer sports are obviously getting pushed way back: NBA playoffs, baseball and pro tennis. Would not be surprised if that does not trickle down to college sports. So they will play football and basketball at the college level but maybe at later times than usual. Just guessing but ORU basketball may not start until say January 2021.

We know SDSU and USD will be on schedule since the state never shut down.

date announced for the game w/ the hogs.....Nov 10 (their home opener)

Just to remind everyone, during this slow season, that College Sports Madness is once again doing its top 144 college basketball rankings.  Some of the previews of ORU's opponents are listed: Tulsa ranked 140 and UT Arlington 135.  Tulsa has some guards but ORU is due to upset them this year.  What has it been,  4 years since there last win against the Golden Hurricane?

The first domino:  does not bode well for non-conference basketball this year...

Remember back in March, the Ivy League was the first conference to cancel their basketball tournament as well.  Other leagues quickly followed suit.

Deja vu all over again? (thx, Yogi)

16 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The first domino:  does not bode well for non-conference basketball this year...

Remember back in March, the Ivy League was the first conference to cancel their basketball tournament as well.  Other leagues quickly followed suit.

Deja vu all over again? (thx, Yogi)

I have a feeling you are probably correct. The next domino to fall might be Big 10 football... there are supposed to be meetings about it next week.

Yeah....not likely we will see any ORU basketball or any fall sport prior to the conference season after Christmas......😪