2020-21 Roster

Old Titan

On 6/3/2020 at 3:24 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

With the COVID situation, teams with lots of newcomers (like ORU) will be at significant disadvantage this season due to the lack of opportunity to build team chemistry throughout the off-season.  Hopefully, the chemistry will develop by the conference season, but we may see a lot of "individual" play in the early going.  I too am excited about the talent level coming in, but the loss of veterans and playmakers will definitely hurt both on and off the court.  

I would just like to see the roster set for this year on the ORU website. I want to see the names on the roster and if any are not. This silence is getting to me and I hope we can have a season this year and Conference starting in January. Like OT shared before, I am hearing nothing but crickets. image.jpeg.1d1afc98cf7fd30489dc8d8efaf5c7cd.jpeg

It is odd there hasn't been any official roster updates for the 20-21 season. Most Summit League teams have had their rosters posted for a month or more.

Have a feeling we may get a look at the new roster for this upcoming season today because ORU sent out a tweet with each player on a bobblehead.  Did anyone see that?

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Have a feeling we may get a look at the new roster for this upcoming season today because ORU sent out a tweet with each player on a bobblehead.  Did anyone see that? Looks like 15 players on this roster.

The Roster connection is not up so I am assuming changes are coming and we should know soon!

The bobble head video is cool but I am looking at them and saying who are several of these players.  It makes me realize we are still fairly young this year.  Looking forward to the great potential of this team being realized this year.

So they just posted the roster on the ORU website.  When looking at it a couple of things jump out:

1. For the second year in a row no one transferred.  That is encouraging because on an average team in Div. 1 they will have 2-3 transfers per year.

2. The Eagles have a good balance of returning players (7), newcomers (6), and even walk-ons (2).  They should have plenty of depth even if someone is injured or has to redshirt for various reasons.

3. Only two guards (Max and Carlos) have any experience at the D1 level.  The new guards are talented and young so that usually means a lot of up and down results.

ORU will return 41% of the minutes played, 44% of points scored and 47% of rebounds from 2019-20.  Lots of opportunity (and necessity) for newcomers and medical redshirts (Weaver/Jurgens) to step up in the coming season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

ORU will return 41% of the minutes played, 44% of points scored and 47% of rebounds from 2019-20.  Lots of opportunity (and necessity) for newcomers and medical redshirts (Weaver/Jurgens) to step up in the coming season.

I have heard the coaches say in interviews that having two guards that can run the offense on the floor is preferable; I'm assuming this means Glaspar and maybe Bergens?

With this roster it looks like Weaver, Lacis, & Jurgens might be out there quite a bit at least at first.

Wonder how DJ Weaver will play after being injured last year.  He has the potential to be an all league type of player but has had maybe three injuries in the last five years (including high school).  He should be a real difference maker in 2021.

It was a nice surprise to see Nate Clover listed at 255 when 24/7 sports had him listed at 210.  Must have really bulked up over the summer (a lot of cheeseburgers) !  He looks like a man as a freshman.  Trying to remember when ORU last had an inside player that could both block shots and rebound, as Clover should be able to do.  Albert Owens was a solid shot blocker but not much of a rebounder (4 a game).

Jamie Bergens is the real wild card on this year's team.  If he is good as advertised then ORU could be a tough out in conference play.  He had a good assist to turnover ratio at the International level. Who thought Max Abmas would average almost 15 points a game as a freshman, so who knows maybe Bergens will have a break out freshman season.