8. Jurgens@
  9. Clover*
  10. Stevens*
  11. Thompson*
  12. Glaspar*
  13. Bergens *
  • Upvote 1

So Fuqua is gone?....somebody on the inside must know.....🤔

A lot of new players and again a young team with a few upperclassmen.

Yeah this roster is probably a year a way from being strong. ORU would return 11 out of 13 next year and the talented young guys would be a year older. As the old sayings goes in sports: there is always next year (no one wants to hear)!

Earlier this year, RJ told me that he would graduate in three years. If so, good for him. That's all he said.

13 minutes ago, 74Titan said:

Earlier this year, RJ told me that he would graduate in three years. If so, good for him. That's all he said.

I have heard the same thing:  RJ is graduating and moving on with “life after basketball“, as it’s sometimes called 

I’m told he will not be playing for ORU this coming season, which is a definite blow to the team, both on and off the court.

Thanks for all your hard work, RJ - you have the heart of a champion!

• Upvote 3

Sorry to hear, but wish him the best of luck in all he does in the future and thank him for his time with us.

Losing RJ is a HUGE blow to our squad. Loved watching him play because he was smarter than every guy on the floor. 

Also, how is it possible to graduate in three years while being a division 1 athlete in a fall/spring sport? Incredible. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Losing RJ is a HUGE blow to our squad. Loved watching him play because he was smarter than every guy on the floor. 

Also, how is it possible to graduate in three years while being a division 1 athlete in a fall/spring sport? Incredible. 

Totally agree. RJ could see the floor so well... I bet he would be the favorite for a majority of the minutes at PG this upcoming season. Losing him really puts ORU at a disadvantage.

32 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

My guess is since he is a local Tulsa kid he probably was able to load up on summer school. Not to mention his medical redshirt year he probably could load up on more hours than normal.

RJ will be hard to replace! Loved watching him compete.

This is too bad. I enjoyed watching RJ play. His energy, speed and tenacity were fun to see. Fuqua’s speed could be disruptive on both sides of the court. He was also growing as a court leader (something we will need next year) and had a good basketball mind/vision. 

I’m very impressed that he could graduate in three years. Shows discipline & hard work as well as focus - besides intellect. He will be missed, but I know he will do well. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

This is too bad. I enjoyed watching RJ play. His energy, speed and tenacity were fun to see. Fuqua’s speed could be disruptive on both sides of the court. He was also growing as a court leader (something we will need next year) and had a good basketball mind/vision. 

I’m very impressed that he could graduate in three years. Shows discipline & hard work as well as focus - besides intellect. He will be missed, but I know he will do well. 

Glaspar was recruited I imagine replacing Fuqua.  Thompson and Bergens will also be at the point position. That gives us depth at the point along with two returning shooting guards and two recent additions. We will have more depth than we had last year but losing Fuqua and Burns will be notable in the non- conference arena. I still feel the recruiting of talent is better each year and we should expect a top two or three conference record this upcoming season.  I agree we are still a year away from a conference championship. However, that still is barring injuries and the unknown. I like this year's recruiting class. No Kool Aid but just a  wait and see attitude.

• Like 1

Been looking at the returning rosters in the Summit League and most of the teams, Omaha does return 7 out of their top 9 and South Dakota State returns all five starters plus a few bench guys, will be like ORU relying on some new and experienced players.  So yes the league should be open next year and if the newcomers gel with the returning players then the Eagles could be a 9-7 or 10-6 team in conference play.

New to the forum but I’m excited see what Glasper can do. I think he could really give orus offense a great spark he can really shoot the ball and get people open.

• Upvote 1

Seems like ORU is always a year away...………😬..but let me say this......RJ Fuqua was a very good basketball player and is going to be missed....loved the way he played and from all reports a huge plus in the locker room......the name Fuqua is synonymous with ORU basketball.....TheEagleman had the honor of being around  Richard Fuqua in the early 70's and RJ's father was a great player and always a class act.....the perfect representative for a young emerging NCAA basketball power....who can forget the 1972 SI article titled  Praise The Lord and Pass the ball to  Fuqua?...2nd in the nation in scoring in 1971-72 and in the top 10 in 1972-73....that was one of the things that attracted TheEagleman to ORU as an 18 yr old kid.....God Bless RJ Fuqua in his future endeavors and congrats on an early graduation.....I am sure his dad is very proud!....:tb-blue:

With the COVID situation, teams with lots of newcomers (like ORU) will be at significant disadvantage this season due to the lack of opportunity to build team chemistry throughout the off-season.  Hopefully, the chemistry will develop by the conference season, but we may see a lot of "individual" play in the early going.  I too am excited about the talent level coming in, but the loss of veterans and playmakers will definitely hurt both on and off the court.