2020-21 Roster

Old Titan

If the season started today (April 9, 2020)

1. Fuqua#
  2. Abmas#
  3. Obanor#
  4. Lufile#
  5. Lacis#
  6. Jones#
  7. Weaver@
  8. Jurgens@
  9. Clover*
  10. Stevens*
  11. Thompson*
  12. Glaspar*
  13. Bergens*

#returnee      @redshirted 2019-20      *signed/committed

Obanor and Lufile the only established players with any post presence on offense, and neither is a rim protector on defense.

I just don't understand this sort of roster at the D1 level - ridiculously small.

Perhaps Jurgens is not returning, leaving one more opening for a big man, or a big 2-guard who can defend and rebound (ala Yemi Ogunoye)?

• Like 1

My guess would be there will be some roster movement before November. 

With the addition of Clover (as a replacement for Nzekwesi) the 20-21 roster looks similar in size to 19-20.

Clover does seem to be decent defender (3 time district POY).

Out of the players listed the only definitive starters I see are Obanor and Weaver.

4 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

My guess would be there will be some roster movement before November. 

With the addition of Clover (as a replacement for Nzekwesi) the 20-21 roster looks similar in size to 19-20.

Clover does seem to be decent defender (3 time district POY).

Out of the players listed the only definitive starters I see are Obanor and Weaver.

Looking at the recruiting I see we replaced Eman and 4 guards. So will we be better with the new four guards are not?  Nzekwesi will be hard to replace but with Clover and Lufile in the lineup along with D.J, Obanor, and Lacis we will be about the same. I agree with Dr. Cornelius that we are similar in size. However, going back and listening to Coach Mills a hint of one more recruit is possible. I would say either Jones or Jurgens could be the unknown for coming back. The coach mentioned every returning player but those two in the interview. This is just my opinion but if one doesn't return, then a frontcourt big would be a delight to see. We have both small and big guards with the new recruits. This could be a fun season as OT stated breaking the 3 point attempt record for the Summit League.  We call this the 'Happy Dance.' at our home.

Excited George Costanza GIF

I’m not sure why Jurgens would redshirt and then leave. That would not make much sense to me. 
I did notice on Coach Mills tweet that every returner was on the zoom call picture. So that’s good news!

Also, regarding the lack of height. It’s not like we are competing in the Big 10 or Big 12. I think when you look at the Summit League, it’s not a league where you need 6’5” guards to win. I think you need shooters and players that can pressure the perimeter and take away 3ptrs. But that’s just me, there are lots of different ways to play!

This roster has a good mix of talent both returning and new.  Once again Coach Mills will need to put all the pieces together to build a winning team. Would agree with you Dr. Cornelius that Clover is an important piece, who fills the need for shot blocking and inside defense. Leadership will also be key: Fuqua will most likely fill that role.

It's also interesting to look at the projected roster by class/eligibility assuming no redshirts (if I've misplaced anyone, please correct):

Class of 2021:

Glaspar

Jones

Class of 2022:

Fuqua

Lacis

Lufile

Obanor

Stevens

Class of 2023:

Abmas

Jurgens

Thompson

Weaver

Class of 2024:

Bergens

Clover

Strong junior class.  Might even see an all-junior lineup on the court at several points during the upcoming season.  Definitely need some added height/heft in the 2023/2024 classes.  

19 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I think when you look at the Summit League, it’s not a league where you need 6’5” guards to win.

Actually, it is.

That is, if you care to defend the much-more-physical guards from the Dakota schools.

They're not just taller - they're stronger.

TheEagleman has to say that Coach Mills has recruited much better in the past 3 yrs than Sutton over his last 7-8 yrs.....the talent upgrade is very noticeable.....now the real key is....can we stay healthy and can Mills weave this talent together on the court?....so far from what I have seen I have my concerns.....🤔:tb-blue:

• Like 1

2019-20   2020-21  
Nzekwesi 6'8 Obanor 6'8"
Obanor 6'8" Lufile 6'8"
Lufile 6'8" Weaver 6'8"
Weaver 6'8" Clover 6'8"
Lacis 6'7" Lacis 6'7"
Lazenby 6'5" Thompson 6'6"
Jurgens 6'5" Jurgens 6'5"
Saunders 6'4" Jones 6'3"
Jones 6'3" Stevens 6'3"
Burns 6'3" Bergens 6'1"
Kearns 6'1" Abmas 6'1"
Abmas 6'1" Glasper 6'0"
Fuqua 5'11" Fuqua 5'11"

Post Players

Four players at 6'8" with Clover replacing Nzekwesi

Guards/Wings

The return of Weaver (6'8") and Jurgens (6'5") and the addition of Thompson (6'"6") should help

20 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman has to say that Coach Mills has recruited much better in the past 3 yrs than Sutton over his last 7-8 yrs.....the talent upgrade is very noticeable.....now the real key is....can we stay healthy and can Mills weave this talent together on the court?....so far from what I have seen I have my concerns.....🤔:tb-blue:

That's the real key to his success. He appears to be a great recruiter (or someone on the staff is), and has managed to keep key guys around, which Sutton was not able to do for the last 5+ years of his tenure. I have questioned if he has the ability to make players BETTER and to prepare for and manage games effectively since the beginning. The answer to that question so far has been....... MEH. He hasn't. I do think he is getting better though, and hopefully will continue to improve. I was more impressed with him this season than the last. 

I am not overly bothered by the lack of height at the guard positions, as long as Jurgens, Jones, maybe DJ can step up and defend on the perimeter. Keep in mind, DJ was improving as a perimeter defender his freshman season, though he still did not have real quick feet. 

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

That's the real key to his success. He appears to be a great recruiter (or someone on the staff is), and has managed to keep key guys around, which Sutton was not able to do for the last 5+ years of his tenure. I have questioned if he has the ability to make players BETTER and to prepare for and manage games effectively since the beginning. The answer to that question so far has been....... MEH. He hasn't. I do think he is getting better though, and hopefully will continue to improve. I was more impressed with him this season than the last. 

I am not overly bothered by the lack of height at the guard positions, as long as Jurgens, Jones, maybe DJ can step up and defend on the perimeter. Keep in mind, DJ was improving as a perimeter defender his freshman season, though he still did not have real quick feet. 

I remember when we complained about not having guards that could shoot. We also complained we did not possess a point guard. This past season saw a great point guard in Burns and when he was on the floor,  the team seemed to be better and in more control. I know we have lost Burns but I believe we have some potential point guards now and also some shooting guards that the forum has longed to see on the floor. Abmas will only get better, and as a freshman showed some real promise. Thompson is a 6'6" guard that has promise and what range for the 3 ball. Glasper along with Fuqua should be good at the point even though small, but Fuqua proved he has a big heart. Stevens along with Jurgens and Jones should be a help and overall, I feel ORU is looking better than last year. Remember, Eman was out some games over the last two years while losing Weaver for the entire year. I think you are correct EagleManiac that Coach Mills is improving some on the management of the game. I personally would still like to see a shot blocker at 6' 10 plus and trust the team chemistry will come about quickly.

The oft-repeated "Clover replaces Nzekwesi" comment makes me chuckle.

It reminds me of an understudy filling-in for the lead role in a Broadway musical.

Sure, she may look the part, she may even know all the words - but can she sing??

2 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

I remember when we complained about not having guards that could shoot. We also complained we did not possess a point guard. This past season saw a great point guard in Burns and when he was on the floor,  the team seemed to be better and in more control. I know we have lost Burns but I believe we have some potential point guards now and also some shooting guards that the forum has longed to see on the floor. Abmas will only get better, and as a freshman showed some real promise. Thompson is a 6'6" guard that has promise and what range for the 3 ball. Glasper along with Fuqua should be good at the point even though small, but Fuqua proved he has a big heart. Stevens along with Jurgens and Jones should be a help and overall, I feel ORU is looking better than last year. Remember, Eman was out some games over the last two years while losing Weaver for the entire year. I think you are correct EagleManiac that Coach Mills is improving some on the management of the game. I personally would still like to see a shot blocker at 6' 10 plus and trust the team chemistry will come about quickly.

A little guard who can shoot a three when left open is NOT the same as a true "Shooting Guard" or "2", who is typically a longer perimeter player, bigger & stronger than most point guards, but not as quick, and with at least decent ball-handling skills. 

A Shooting Guard/2 works hard off the ball to get open, and then either catches and shoots, or slashes into the defense to get a good shot.  The elite Shooting Guards can also defend.  And, rebound (particularly on the defensive end).

The best Shooting Guard/2 the past 10-15 years at ORU was Obi Omegano.  Moses Ehambe was another one, though not the defender Obi was.  Yemi Ogunoye was an extreme defender at the "2", but was a liability offensively.  Larry Owens was arguably the best of the lot, but was also a swing "3" guy (incredibly versatile).

All that being said:  please list for me the Shooting Guards/2's on this roster, and the impact we might expect from them this season.

Yeah, me neither...

Shooting Guard (Wikipedia)

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

The oft-repeated "Clover replaces Nzekwesi" comment makes me chuckle.

It reminds me of an understudy filling-in for the lead role in a Broadway musical.

Sure, she may look the part, she may even know all the words - but can she sing??

I don't think Clover will have to do all that much to replace Nzekwesi.

Nzekwesi was a nice guy but he wouldn't or couldn't play defense and would completely disappear for long stretches - including the final Summit League tournament game where he didn't really seem to even want to be out there.

Bye Bye E-man.....Nice player but yeah...his final year was hit and miss....he didn't seem to be into it on a lot of nights....TheEagleman expects better than that from our Senior Leaders.....🥱:e_nzekwesi:

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

A little guard who can shoot a three when left open is NOT the same as a true "Shooting Guard" or "2", who is typically a longer perimeter player, bigger & stronger than most point guards, but not as quick, and with at least decent ball-handling skills. 

A Shooting Guard/2 works hard off the ball to get open, and then either catches and shoots, or slashes into the defense to get a good shot.  The elite Shooting Guards can also defend.  And, rebound (particularly on the defensive end).

The best Shooting Guard/2 the past 10-15 years at ORU was Obi Omegano.  Moses Ehambe was another one, though not the defender Obi was.  Yemi Ogunoye was an extreme defender at the "2", but was a liability offensively.  Larry Owens was arguably the best of the lot, but was also a swing "3" guy (incredibly versatile).

All that being said:  please list for me the Shooting Guards/2's on this roster, and the impact we might expect from them this season.

Yeah, me neither...

Shooting Guard (Wikipedia)

In an age of “positionless” basketball, it’s great to hear Old Titan showcase the first word in his username and put such restrictions around what a “Shooting Guard” is supposed to entail.

I can only imagine your staff meetings as you put together a roster: “Yes I know he’s an elite shooter and can come off a screen and catch and shoot, but he isn’t taller than our point guard so obviously he does not fit into this very specific and complex definition of what we need our 2 to look like! Scratch him from the list!”

I guess it’s tough to argue when you’ve clearly done your research and have included the source.... a Wikipedia link! 😂😂

• Upvote 1

What do you guys think about the 4 star recruit Bergens: Is he ready to be a starting point guard? How did he slip through the cracks and wind up with ORU? Will it take him awhile to really be a star? Etc.

ORU also needs much more consistent play from Kevin Obanor next season....TheEagleman thought that KO was ready to have a huge Soph year but he failed to show up in many games and only portions of others.....honestly, I expected much more....Sophomore Jinx or what you see is what you get???...:k_obanor: