Baseball Eligiblity

theeagleman5

Guessing that the baseball players and all spring sports will get another year of eligibility....we only played about 25-30% of the schedule....and the way this season was going...…..the Corona Virus may have saved Coach Fulmers' job for another year.....😬

Baseball players typically only get partial scholarships so if the NCAA allowed for extra scholarships to be awarded I definitely think ORU and almost any other school would take advantage of it because  that would mean more students and more revenue from those students.

I'd imagine very few schools would hesitate to give out partial scholarships to baseball players, especially ORU. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the non-revenue spring sports. If they do give seniors (or everyone affected?) an extra year, small universities be willing to foot the bill for extra scholarships in the midst of an economic downturn? 

• 2 weeks later...

The NCAA has granted all spring sports athletes an extra year of eligibility. Baseball gets an extra year, basketball does not. https://apnews.com/12f17528434389bd0bd636aabad8ecbd

Excerpts (emphasis added):

The NCAA will permit Division I spring-sport athletes — such as baseball, softball and lacrosse players — who had their seasons shortened by the coronavirus pandemic to have an additional year of eligibility.

The NCAA Division I Council voted Monday to give spring-sport athletes regardless of their year in school a way to get back the season they lost, but it did not guarantee financial aid to the current crop of seniors if they return to play next year.

Winter sports, such as basketball and hockey, were not included in the decision because many athletes in those sports had completed all or most of their regular seasons, the council decided.

How much scholarship money will be made available to each athlete whose college career would have ended this spring will be determined by the athlete’s school. The amount could range from nothing to as much the athlete received had been receiving.