Remembering 2012

orumom

Spoiler

Without live sports for March Madness,  we can remember the good times. 😊🏀

211A6D35-B660-4350-820B-A6747E3BFAAD.png

Edited by orumom
Typo
  • Thanks 1

This was such a great time! This time of year reminds me of the NCAA tournaments and NIT’s that we have enjoyed at ORU.  Go Eagles!  2 Chronicles 2: 13-14.

2012 was nice but 1973-74 way better....👍:shield-logo:

How many of you attended the ORU vs. Louisville and ORU vs. Kansas NCAA games at Mabee Center in March of 1974?....tell us your recollections of both games....TheEagleman was at both and Mabee Center packed for both contests....the Regional Semis were on Thurs night and had Kansas-Creighton in game 1 and ORU-Louisville  in the nightcap.....then it was ORU-KU on Saturday afternoon for the Midwest final (Elite 8)…..exciting times.....one a great memory and one that haunts TheEagleman to this day.....😬

11 years old at the time. I remember the Louisville game was a barn-burner; high scoring and back-and-forth.  One national sportswriter said it looked like “the future of college basketball” in terms of style.   Then, the next day was an off-day and the papers were full of the news of Ken Trickey’s DUI the night before, followed by his resignation, then his reinstatement by President Roberts before the weekend afternoon tip-off with Kansas. Not nearly as entertaining of a game as two days earlier; ORU played tight, and Kansas’ physicality made them look bad, but the Titans still managed to be in the driver’s seat until the final minutes of regulation. Paid the price of not having a true point guard under the Jayhawks’ pressure “D“ down the stretch; ORU guards Al Boswell and Sam McCants were both talented scorers but not great ball handlers.

TheEagleman was an ORU soph and attended both games......lasting memories for sure....the Lousiville game in the Sweet 16 was incredible....I was sitting behind the basket on the east end in the blue seats.....I just looked up the box score and ORU basically played with 5 guys the whole game....a 96-93 win...Sam McCants was huge with 30 and Al Boswell had 23.....TheEagleman loved Boswell...such a nice kid....McCants was a jerk but could play ball....he was a one year wonder and got the boot.....a transfer from Florida State....this game was a coming out party for my favorite ORU player of all time Anthony Roberts who had a double double with 14 and 14....he was only a freshman in 74.....Greg McDougald also had 14 and as I recall hit a huge corner jumper in the final minute to seal the deal.....amazing that ORU held All American Junior Bridgeman to 4 points in this game.....Bridgeman was a real stud and went on to a fine NBA career as a #1 pick of the Milwaukee Bucks.….I can just remember the Mabee Center crowd being as loud as I ever heard it in the final moments....the place was about 50% ORU fans....lots of Louisville people in the building along with Creighton/Kansas fans from the opener.....but that game was a classic....TheEagleman will NEVER forget it....I will discuss the KU game later.....😬