2020 Postseason (and ALL sports) Shambles

Old Titan

From bad to worse....

That means no games/matches/meets of any kind the rest of the school year:  baseball, golf, tennis, and outdoor track.

What do you do now if you work in a college athletic department?

Update the archive files?

Clean the offices?

Play golf?

Get laid off till mid-summer?

And, what does this mean for Spring Signing Day - everything conducted via Skype or Facebook Live, if they even HAVE a Spring Signing Day (perhaps pushed to May or June)?

(BTW, this will effectively cancel all spring football games, and at places like Alabama, where the game draws tens of thousands of fans in addition to a slew of recruits, that's a big deal).

17 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Heard on the radio a discussion about the coaching carousel.  They were joking about how many jobs may have been saved with no conf tournaments or missing the big dance.  They were specifically talking about  Shaka Smart.

I hadn't thought about that but it's a good point. There might be fewer openings than usual.

What about kids that put off signing? If they allow seniors another year, think of the cascade effect. 

The only way it would work is to have any returning Seniors not count against the 13 scholarship limit.

18 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The only way it would work is to have any returning Seniors not count against the 13 scholarship limit.

This could get real interesting!!!!??????   OR  maybe this would that work out to have Dre and Eman come back with the five new recruits to 15 number of Scholarships per team? I love it. That would be a dream. 

There are plenty of issues involved that make this idea problematic. I will be surprised if it happens.

These seniors DID get to play 30-ish games this year (if healthy) and take part in a Senior Night at their respective schools.

A small percentage of them were robbed of postseason play, which is tragic, but unfortunately impossible to remedy with any measures for next season.

This is turning into a wild couple of weeks. Do they give an extra year of eligibility to EVERYONE on the roster, or just the seniors? The Freshman lost a year of eligibility just as much as a senior did, so you've got to take care of him as well, right?

4 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A small percentage of them were robbed of postseason play, which is tragic, but unfortunately impossible to remedy with any measures for next season.

I agree - it just doesn't seem practical for winter sports which have already essentially played-out their seasons. It sounds like it's definitely happening for spring sports though.

POWERFUL message from ORU President Billy Wilson re: drastic new measures in response to the COVID-19 virus.  Listen to it all the way through; you will be glad you did:

Powerful indeed!  Makes me proud to be able to call myself an alum of this fine institution.  May God bless not only ORU, but our nation and the world.  And thank you Lord Jesus for healing all of us.

Nice, strong message of direction and hope. ORU and the Church should be a beacon of Truth and Hope to a world in turmoil. It’s time for the Body of Christ to stand and show His love to a world in desperate need of Him. 

• Upvote 1