Summit League Tournament

ORUTerry

North Dakota State takes on Denver at 6:00 on Saturday March 7th - followed by South Dakota State vs. Purdue Fort Wayne at 8:30. 

ORU takes on Omaha at 6:00 on Sunday March 8th - followed by South Dakota vs. North Dakota

Of course it would be great if ORU could win the tournament but a more realistic expectation is that they win the first round game. It has been five years since the Eagles won a tournament game. Probably going to come down to SDSU/NDSU, the usually favorites.

If ORU plays three consecutive games at the level it did against Western Illinois last Thursday, it should win the tourney.  If ORU plays at the same level it did against PFW last Saturday, it will be "one-and-done".  So, it depends which team shows up.  And, unfortunately, the primary difference between the two performances was 3 point shooting (63% vs. WIU; 32% vs. PFW).  ORU has: 1) arguably the best frontcourt (EMan, KO) in the conference, and 2) a strong PG (Burns) who is very adept at driving into the paint and then choosing between a layup and a pull-up jumper.  And yet, the Golden Eagles generally find that their success and failure on a given night is based upon their performance outside the arc.  I find this very perplexing...  

I completely agree with you TrueBlue82.  It also seems that Dre Burns stirs the drink.  When Dre is having a bad night, the team loses or is at risk of losing.  When Dre has a good night, the whole team feeds off of him.  He is the assists leader and can do several things offensively to create problems for the opponent.

Also, the level of defensive skill by the opponent greatly dictates how ORU performs offensively.  When the Dakota teams pack in the D down low, we have to hit the open threes or our offense comes to a screeching halt.  

Any word on whether Elijah and/or Ty will be available for the start of the tournament on Sunday Night?.....ORU could use the depth with a possible 3 games in 3 nights.....😬

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Any word on whether Elijah and/or Ty will be available for the start of the tournament on Sunday Night?.....ORU could use the depth with a possible 3 games in 3 nights.....😬

Coach Mills said on the final Coaches Show that Lufile is practicing.

https://forum.orusports.com/index.php?/topic/11596-2019-20-coaches-show/

That is good news on Lufile…..ORU will definitely need 10-15 minutes a game from Elijah at C with a possible 3 games in 3 nights if we can make it to the final....TheEagleman expects the Good Guys to be a small favorite in the opener vs. Omaha.....the teams split during the regular season and both games tightly contested....the Mabee Center game went into OT.....this one is probably no different and should be decided late.....as mentioned above....ORU won't win if we shoot like we did vs. Fort Wayne last Saturday.....predictions will come on Saturday but the other game on Sunday night between USD and UND should be a dandy......the Saturday games are both double digit wins for the favorites......🤔

Here are one online sports book’s odds (the amount you’d win by betting 100 on that team) to win the tournament, which I found interesting. Big drop off after the first 4 teams. 

SOUTH DAKOTA STATE +200 

NORTH DAKOTA STATE +190 

ORAL ROBERTS +400 

SOUTH DAKOTA +400 

NEBRASKA OMAHA +1800 

NORTH DAKOTA +2500 

PURDUE FORT WAYNE +3500 

DENVER +8000

Not really sure why ORU has that favorable of odds. Have they seen our road record? That’s very interesting - obviously Vegas thinks they know something we don’t. 

TheEagleman and Vegas are on the same page but I agree that Vegas isn't watching many ORU games......realistically, ORU can beat any team in this tournament except SDSU....If we draw the Jacks in the final that's not likely going to go our way....they whipped us twice during the regular season and would probably do the same in Sioux Falls.....but ORU certainly is capable of beating Omaha, and NDSU in the first 2 games....our hope is that USD finds a way to upset SDSU in round two...that's not out of the question but playing USD in the final in their home state would be no picnic either.....of course, ORU could also get bounced in the first round.....we are very consistent with regards to our inconsistency.....😏

If the tournament was in the Mabee Center then ORU could win it but since it is in South Dakota look for a 1-1 record. That would put them at 17-14 with a 50/50 chance of going to the CIT or CBI tournament. 

Even if we go 1-1 in the tournament, our D-1 record would be 13-14. I doubt a post-season bid would come. But, who knows...maybe the CIT would send us off to be a sacrificial lamb in the first round?

Oh I think a 17-14 record would give ORU the opportunity to play in the CIT or CBI. From what I remember, I think if a school is willing to pay to host a home game you can get in. Which, in my opinion ORU should do if given the opportunity.

Winning a game in the Summit League tournament is something that hasn't happened in quite a while and certainly not a given.

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

Oh I think a 17-14 record would give ORU the opportunity to play in the CIT or CBI. From what I remember, I think if a school is willing to pay to host a home game you can get in. Which, in my opinion ORU should do if given the opportunity.

While it hurts me to say this, I don’t think ORU paying to host a CIT/CBI home game would be worth it.  With the meager crowds this season, the game would be a guaranteed money-loser.  

While I would love to see ORU playing in the postseason, the additional playing time wouldn’t be of huge value for next season, since three of the starters (EMan, Burns, Kearns) have all completed their eligibility this year.  And, is there any “prestige” anymore in qualifying for one of these tourneys???  I suppose it is a positive stepping stone compared to where we have been. 

#1 seed NDSU an 11.5 point favorite over Denver and #2 seed SDSU a 7.5 point Favorite over Fort Wayne.....TheEagleman likes both favorites to cover tonight....I guess it's possible Denver could sneak under 10 points but unlikely....the Jacks should pound the Mastodons...I like the Jacks to win the automatic bid...unless USD can pull the upset in round two.....:sdsu: