Former ORU baseball player & wife found dead

orumom

Joe Spence was a former ORU shortstop and Grand-slam Club member. He was the roommate of Greg Webb his freshman year and a 1976 grad.

Quick Facts:

• Tulsa police are investigating the deaths of two people near 91st and Yale.
  • Police confirm the deaths of a man and a woman are being investigated as a homicide.
  • Police identified the victims as Beverly and Joseph Spence. They were both found with gunshot wounds.
  • Police arrested 40-year-old Bryan Spence on suspicion of killing his parents.
  • This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
  • DOWNLOAD the FOX23 News app for updates sent to your phone

Tulsa police arrested the adult son of a man and woman found dead in south Tulsa Monday morning.

Officers first found an abandoned car near 81st and Harvard that led them to the home where the bodies were found near 91st and Yale.

Joe Spence was a hard-hitting shortstop who started all four years at ORU for Coach Herb Dallis from 1973 to 1976.  He helped Tulsa Edison High School to a state championship in 1972 for coach Don Phillips.  He batted .358 with a team-leading 46 RBI in his senior season for the Titans, and set records (at the time) for Most RBI In A Game with 8 vs. Oklahoma State (highlighted by two home runs in the win) and Most Home Runs For A Season, with 11.  He was a teammate of ORU NCAA Faculty Representative Terry Unruh and ORU Hall of Famer Greg Davis.

TheEagleman remembers Joe Spence and graduated in the same class in 1976....real good player and a nice guy.....this is tragic news....deepest condolences to the family....😥

The nicest people!!!  I am heartbroken.  I can't imagine the grief of their daughter and grandchildren.

Just found out tonight what happened.  Still can't believe it.  I talked to Joe at last Tuesday's game for almost the entire game.  What a senseless unexplainable act.  My heart aches for his family.  What a loss for our ORU family.  They were great supporters of the program.