ORU at Denver

theeagleman5

5 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

We manage to lose a game where we were up by 10-12 points to a team who was 5-22 (1-12 Summit) going into the game?  Absolutely unbelievable.

Not really. ORU isn't very good either (will finish under .500 against D1 opponents).

The big question is whether ORU is even a program that can aspire towards finishing above .500 anymore.

You are correct Dr. C, if you only count D-I victories we are currently 10-13 and 7-7 in the Summit.  If we win the last two regular season games we still finish 12-13 and 9-7 in the Summit against D-I teams.

Easy come...easy go...brutal...worst loss to a horrible team in a long time....TheEagleman needs a week off...😳😞😳

Yikes. I don't want to add to the negativity right now, so I won't say anything. Obviously, this isn't the program turn-around year we hoped it might be.

We haven't been any good for 5-6 years. Not sure why everyone seems so surprised/shocked? 

We have a coach that would rather be in Waco, an entire athletic department that would rather be in Stillwater., and a President that is clueless, yet thinks he knows athletics. 

I mean...how do you think it would go over at TU if the athletic director put on Sooner gear in the evenings/weekends and went to Norman to scream and cheer for OU? Until ORU cleans house (and I mean everyone except maybe the secretaries), it'll just be more of the same. Heck, even the AD in waiting is a schyster that has hosed several VERY loyal members of the ORU community.

It's sickening. All of it. 

• Upvote 3

Big loss...

• up 76 to 66 at 5:11; EMan never took another shot. That’s a head scratcher. Were they doubling him?
  • up by 5 (88 to 83) with 16 seconds to go. They get a dunk, Abmas misses a FT and Kearns fouls them with 4 seconds to go - they make both free throws make the score 88-87. Was the Kearns foul intentional?
  • Burns makes 2 free throws with 3 seconds to go and Abmas fouls a three point shooter with 1.2 seconds to go. 

This info is from the ESPN site so it (times) might be a bit off. Any idea why we didn’t foul them in the back court?

We scored enough to win but could not get stops. Gotta play better/harder on defense 

Now that is a brutal loss! With 3 seconds left you just try to stay in front of someone and make them take a tough shot. if they make it ok and you can live with that. Tough situation there.

I thought Adam said it was Abmas that made the foul on the guy taking the three and that it was Abmas' first foul of the night.  Perhaps it was Burns?  I was listening to Adam's radio broadcast on the livestream from The Franchise.  I refused to pay Denver for the privilege of watching their video stream of the game.  Either way, Abmas in a short span right at the end of regulation and then early into OT managed to commit 5 fouls and get tossed from the game.  Regardless of who fouled the guy taking a three with a little over 1 second left in the game, why do you commit that foul?  Further, if you wanted to foul on that play, why not foul in the back court before a shot is taken from 3 point land and there is maybe 2 seconds left on the scoreboard?  At that point you are up by 3 points.  Send them to the line for 2 shots then simply get the ball in to your best foul shooter and you will have maybe half a second left on the clock, if that.

• Like 1

Real dumbass situational basketball at the end....why would any ORU player even go near the shooter?...let him take a prayer of a shot and if it goes in....oh well.....but we can't foul.....what did Coach Mills have to say on his post game show?  He couldn't have been pleased....I know TheEagleman wasn't....I would expect smarter play by college kids but I guess not.....this loss hurts and not because TheEagleman lost $25 on a bet....we have to trust that our players know to do the smart thing in key moments of the game....up 3 and the opponent has to go 90 feet and get a 3 point basket.....well, just stand to the side...let them throw it in and see if they can hit a prayer....not likely to happen.....this loss makes us all very sad.......😥

7 hours ago, oruvoice said:

We haven't been any good for 5-6 years. Not sure why everyone seems so surprised/shocked? 

We have a coach that would rather be in Waco, an entire athletic department that would rather be in Stillwater., and a President that is clueless, yet thinks he knows athletics. 

I mean...how do you think it would go over at TU if the athletic director put on Sooner gear in the evenings/weekends and went to Norman to scream and cheer for OU? Until ORU cleans house (and I mean everyone except maybe the secretaries), it'll just be more of the same. Heck, even the AD in waiting is a schyster that has hosed several VERY loyal members of the ORU community.

It sickening. All of it. 

Wish I could like this more than once.  #fireCarter

5 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

why would any ORU player even go near the shooter?...let him take a prayer of a shot and if it goes in....oh well.....but we can't foul.....what did Coach Mills have to say on his post game show?  He couldn't have been pleased....

Coach Mills did address this in his post game comments, stating that Max fouling beyond the half-court line was a "freshman mistake".  He did not say for sure whether the plan was to foul as they were bringing the ball up before the half court line (leading to two FTs), but it was inferred.  I agree with going for the foul in that situation (but as soon as the opponent gains possession, not in the front court).

12 hours ago, oruvoice said:

I mean...how do you think it would go over at TU if the athletic director put on Sooner gear in the evenings/weekends and went to Norman to scream and cheer for OU? Until ORU cleans house (and I mean everyone except maybe the secretaries), it'll just be more of the same. Heck, even the AD in waiting is a schyster that has hosed several VERY loyal members of the ORU community.

It's sickening. All of it. 

This is the take of the year. An absolutely perfect description of what is happening.

Do we think the President does anything about it or lets Mills fly because he is the 'right fit'? Look at the women's side, Cussens couldn't coach her way out of a handbag but because she speaks in tongues, prays with the president and says the right things.......she has been given a pass for X years. Will be interesting to see if President does what he should or sticks with the status quo.

ORU has improved some from last year. While not what we hoped for, it has been baby steps. Next year will be crucial for Coach Mills because he will have all his recruits and none from the Sutton era.  If the team is going backwards by year 4 then yes it is time to look somewhere else. The main problem is always going to be how you beat the Dakota teams on a regular basis and advance to the big dance. No easy answer to that. When ORU had success (3 NCAA's and Nit) the tournament was in Tulsa for 4 years and no Dakota teams to deal with.

8 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU has improved some from last year. While not what we hoped for, it has been baby steps. Next year will be crucial for Coach Mills because he will have all his recruits and none from the Sutton era.  If the team is going backwards by year 4 then yes it is time to look somewhere else. The main problem is always going to be how you beat the Dakota teams on a regular basis and advance to the big dance. No easy answer to that. When ORU had success (3 NCAA's and Nit) the tournament was in Tulsa for 4 years and no Dakota teams to deal with.

true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!