ORU at North Dakota

theeagleman5

Good Guys in Grand Forks tonight to face UND....the team that used to be the Fighting Sioux but the NCAA made them change the nickname or get drummed out....anyway, they are now the Fighting Hawks... ORU is 12-10 ( 5-4 in the Summit ) and UND is 10-13 (4-5)...big game for seeding and the Hawks are tough at home with only one loss to Omaha.....ORU not so good on the road but somehow we are a 1.5 point favorite.....if the Golden Eagles want to finish in the top 2 in the Summit a split on this road swing to ND is a must....and we aren't winning at NDSU on Saturday.....so tonight is the game ORU has to steal.....honestly, the way we have played the past two weeks TheEagleman just isn't seeing it.....I pray that I am wrong and ORU shows up big.....but this is probably a close loss.....if E-Man, Obanor, Abmas, Burns and Fuqua can all play well we can win....but it's not likely......also gotta play some D....we haven't been doing that...….UND  84  ORU 80.....😬

Thanks for starting the post Eagleman since OT is taking a break.  ORU is due for a good game after struggling last week.  Stewart is the guy the Eagles will have to slow down. He has won maybe three player of the week awards. Burns did last game and they won by 15. Hopefully more of the same tonight.

Keenan....TheEagleman likes your positive waves.....Oddball Kelly's Heroes Blank Template - Imgflip

This one is a toss-up. Could go either way. Will not be surprised by a 15+ point win for either side. 

Got within 1 and then 3 straight possessions resulting in turnovers....

not gonna win on the road like that

Either have to play better defense or improve 3-point shooting.

Burns played really well but got no help. 

Outscored ND by double digits in the paint....

yes, 3 point shooting was awful...

shouldn’t be that hard to figure out

Tough loss. Just could not pull it out at the end on the road, which has been the theme all season. Stewart got North Dakota going early and helped them build a 9 point lead 28-19 and then the Eagles were just fighting to stay alive from then on.

2 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

Outscored ND by double digits in the paint....

yes, 3 point shooting was awful...

shouldn’t be that hard to figure out

Unfortunately, I don’t think this is anything that can be fixed.

Nobody on this team has the ability to shoot the three efficiently (aside from Weaver and maybe Lācis). Abmas can score from three but he’s a volume shooter.

Can’t win in the Summit shooting in the low 30s from three.

• Upvote 1

Yeah...ORU misses Weaver.....😞

The lack of forum posts, in reaction to lastnight's game, is the most telling stat of all.  The fan base is losing interest.  Hard to face the reality that we're not as good as we hoped to be. 

Let's hope something postive can happen down the stretch.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I feel that Obanor and Lufile are being underutilized.  At one point near the end of the game there were 5 guards on the floor.  UND missed their shot and we desperately needed a quick score but instead UND got an offensive rebound and a put back because we had no forwards out there for rebounding.

I understand that we were probably in 3 point mode at that point but it is just an example of how Coach Mills leans more heavily to guard play even though we have some very talented big men.

Supposedly one of UND’s best post defenders was out for the game but instead of taking advantage of the mismatch and making UND adjust to our big lineup, we seemed to lean into guard play instead.  We still had a lot of points in the paint, many of which came from the guards, so I am not saying that the coaching is inept.

I just think when Lufile and Obanor get more playing time they begin to gain confidence and heat up offensively.  Perhaps Coach Mills feels the need to have more guards out there defensively in order to guard the 3 point line.  

Nzekwesi and Dre Burns are both playing so well right now and Abmas is a good 3 point shooter.  I hope the coaches can get the rest of the team functioning like a well oiled machine by the time the Summit League tournament arrives.

All of the optimism from the Successful last road trip has very quickly faded. We appear to be headed for a mediocre (at best) finish again. On to baseball season? 🙄

Mediocre? Without the 4 non D-1 games, we are 8-11. About to be 8-12. 

I think my definition of mediocre is a little different than yours.

• Upvote 1

Burns had 31 which is nice.......but E-man and Obanor combined for only 16.....that's just not going to win any Summit League game.....and only FOUR points off the bench last night.....yes, TheEagleman didn't even follow the action last night and is losing interest....it will get worse when we lose by double digits on Saturday at NDSU.....I guess we may have a shot at sweeping the final five games and going to Sioux Falls with some momentum....but I am not counting on it.....right now I just feel disinterested and in a malaise about this ORU team....and the ladies are even worse......it's just very disappointing.....gives TheEagleman a headache just thinking about it......I would like to Expect A Miracle but I just can't see one happening.....maybe it's just the February doldrums....Get thee behind me Satan.......😬