ORU at Purdue-FW

theeagleman5

ORU (10-8) in Fort Wayne this afternoon to take on the Mastodons (9-10)…….PFW has split their four Summit games so far and have been off the past week since losing at home to SDSU.....TheEagleman has expressed his concern about the early tip off for this game forcing a quick 36 hour turn around for our boys....seems strange to me since this is the only Noon start for the home team this season.....why not a 4pm or 7pm start?....so PFW is well rested and ORU has been travelling in the snow laden Midwest for the past several days.....this seems to be a big advantage for the home team.....ORU opens as a 2 point favorite and the O/U is currently at 147.....TheEagleman will probably sit this one out due to the previous mentioned factors but I still think that ORU has been playing better basketball and is overall the better team....If we shoot as we did at WIU then this game should go in the win column....PFW isn't all that good but I think the quick turn around for ORU levels the playing field.....that said I still think the Good Guys will find a way.....need big games again from Burns, Abmas, E-Man and Obanor….RJ Fuqua has been a huge factor off the bench....ORU pulls this one out late by 76-73.....GO BLUE!!!....:tb-white::rj_fuqua:

Eman having an all star first half with 16 points and 4 rebounds. Keep pounding the ball inside and the Golden Eagles should get the W! 

ORU scored 13 straight points in about 2 1/2 minutes from the 6:30 mark to the 4:00 mark of the 1st half.  That was a nice run with a combined 6 buckets scored by Nzekwesi, Burns, and Abmas.

The guys do appear a bit fatigued - and are ahead by 8 despite being significantly out rebounded.   Let’s hope they don’t wear down too much during the second half. 

ORU up 58-43 at the 16 minute 2nd half break.....E-Man has 22 already....let's hope the Good Guys have enough gas left in the tank to finish this one off.....GO BLUE!!!:circle-logoi:

Stat of the day from the TV announcers.....ORU trying to win their 4th straight Summit League game for the first time in 5 years

pretty much sums up the status of the program the last half decade

4 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU up 58-43 at the 16 minute 2nd half break.....E-Man has 22 already....let's hope the Good Guys have enough gas left in the tank to finish this one off.....GO BLUE!!!:circle-logoi:

The good guys are on fire. 69-45 shooting 63% and 50% from 3. Wow!!!!!

😀

The announcer complaining about Jones shooting (and getting fouled on a 3-pointer) with 33 seconds left (possession began at 54.9). Play defense then 🤷‍♂️

Glad to see Jones getting more minutes

• Upvote 1

big fan of the youtube broadcast....wish ORU Athletics would consider doing the same

• Upvote 2

So much for being fatigued...

Great road win in a potential trap game - Saturday afternoon start following a Thursday night roadie.

Bottom line: This team is fun to watch.  After a few years where ORU hoops became virtually unwatchable, this team plays well and is entertaining while doing it.

• Upvote 5

ORU shoots an amazing 27-38 (71%) from inside the arc.  Tough to beat a team that doesn't miss...

Another impressive stat: 18 assists/8 turnovers

And finally, a Dre Burns weekend roadtrip for the ages: 37 points, 9 assists, ZERO turnovers.  Now, THAT's a point guard!

Yeah....so much for running out of gas...what a blowout...92-68.....30 for E-Man....Burns is a beast...Now a week of rest and up to South Dakota for a tougher match up...anyone have concerns about Coach Mills now??...😁

• Upvote 1

RJ Fuqua also had 9 assists.  This team has turned the corner and is now a contender.  The players have settled into their roles on offense and are playing better on defense as well.  The guards were playing tight man to man defense all the way out to the arc.  

I am excited to see a team that has found its' way both offensively and defensively.  They are shooting enough 3s to keep the defense honest but are not over-reliant on the 3 point shot and are instead focused on getting the best shot.  Nzekwesi with 30 points and 10 rebounds.  Wow!

I love that we have emerged as a team in which there are any number of guys that can beat you any night.  This has to be the best squad we have seen in some time.  I am feeling quite optimistic, which is an unfamiliar feeling.

• Upvote 1

4 wins in a row...only 14 TOs in two road games this weekend....the guys are playing good ball and healthy...this is a Top 3 Summit League team...big game next Sat. At South Dakota but lets enjoy these two road victories...time for a Shandy....😉:tb-blue:😁

Nice road win. The second one is always a bit harder because of the turnaround. This game looks a lot easier when you make shots. I like that we are limiting turnovers. I also think we are speeding the pace a bit. 

Remember, things are never as good or as bad as you think...

One other milestone (quietly) reached today.  The three season streak of 20 or more losses is OVER.  With an 11-8 record and ten regular season games and the conference tourney remaining, ORU cannot mathematically lose 20 games.  It is embarrassing that this is even a topic, but breaking the streak is the first step in the return of ORU Basketball.  Second step - winning record.  Third Step - Conference contender.  Fourth step - Conference champion.  I'm pretty confident that step two will also be reached this season, step three is likely, and step four is certainly a possibility. 

The "Win at home, split on the road" mantra of conference success is also back on track.