ORU at Western Illinois

ORUTerry

ORU travels to Macomb to play the Western Illinois Leathernecks. WIU is 5-10 on the season and 2-3 in league play. Their team stats are:

ppg:   76.8

FG%:   43.6%
3pt%:  37.6%  (34.3% of their shots are 3-pointers)

rebound margin:  -4.4

assists:   11.1

turnovers:  10.6

ORU -9 on the road with an O/U of 162 (85.5-76.5) That’s a pretty significant margin on the road, especially for a conference matchup.  

This is the start of a huge 3 game road swing where the Good Guys must win at least 2 of 3 in order to have a shot at a Top 3 seed in Brookings.....ORU an early 9 point favorite with a huge O/U of 162.5.....those are very large numbers and if TheEagleman does make a small wager it's likely WIU and the under....it's time that this squad learned to win a road game and it starts tomorrow night in Macomb......probably won't be pretty but I think ORU comes out on top 80-76....GO BLUE!!  :circle-logoi:

• Like 1

Quite honestly....TheEagleman expected ORU to be the favorite in this game but only by 2 or 3 points....not sure what Vegas is watching but one has to wonder if they have seen this ORU team play on the road......I know WIU isn't very talented but they seem to play competitively at home and 8 or 9 points for the home team seems very excessive....I really think the line is 4 or 5 points too high for ORU and that's why I will probably take the Leathernecks...If I tease the bet with O/U then I will get WIU with 13 or 14 points and take the under which would get raised to about 168 in the teaser.....again, I do think the Good Guys will win but can't see us taking WIU by double digits....just not likely to happen.....ORU just doesn't play consistently away from home....shooting, defense....everything....WIU not a very big team and we should dominate inside....looking for some better play from Obanor and hopefully E-Man has a big night...our guards lately have played well....should be an interesting contest....TheEagleman considers this a must win to start the 3 game road trip....😬

• Like 1

I think you are spot on, Eagleman.  This could be another Chicago State scenario (we can certainly hope so), but I’m guessing it to be a dogfight for most of the game, with ORU ahead early and then holding on at the end.  I would agree with your WIU plus double digits and the under.  Games in Macomb have historically been pretty ragged and low scoring. 

Winning on the road is difficult. Especially for this team. Gotta buckle down and play intelligently and disciplined. 

Exactly....just ask Kentucky or Duke if winning on the road is difficult....both lost to inferior opponents in the past few days....ORU will need to tighten it up tonight at Western Hall just in order to escape with a win....oh...the line is now down to 7.5 and O/U at 160.....😮

ORU up 41-36 at half...not really following it...out to dinner....😉

ORU wins big...87-70....TheEagleman loses...but its OK....Good Guys now 10-8...Burns 22... Abmas 16 and E-Man 15....Road Warriors heading to Fort Wayne....:tb-blue:

Good defense and only 6 turnovers vs 16 for Western Illinois.  Dre Burns is really playing well right now.

Any win on the road is a good win. Especially by 17 points. Held them to 41% fg% while we shot 51%, only had 6 turnovers to their 16, got out rebounded by 8 and shot 12 of 15 from the free throw line. Only up by 6 or so with 7-8 minutes to go - and then put them away

Even considering the competition - how good does it feel to be winning road games by 17 again? I love it. 

1 hour ago, ORUJason said:

Good defense and only 6 turnovers vs 16 for Western Illinois.  Dre Burns is really playing well right now.

Dre is one of the best point guards that ORU has had in a long time. He is really on top of his game and they need to keep Lazenby on the bench and let Jones play more minutes. Silky Smooth. Also Lufile should get more minutes. That is just my opinion and observation. Congrats to the Eagles tonight. They broke it open in the last few minutes with great shooting of Abmas. He really is a great freshman with a shooting touch.

• Upvote 1

We need lots of screens at the top of the key and let the guards - especially Dre and Jones drive to the basket... over and over and over

RJ continues to give the team a good boast off the bench. Nice to see him healthy and playing strong again. The Golden Eagles will need his help the rest of the season.

Gotta do it all over again in 36 hours against a rested Fort Wayne squad....ORU will need a full effort from everybody....not gonna be a piece of cake....:shield-logo: