ORU at South Dakota State

ORUTerry

14 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

While we are discussing Coach Mills and poor performance of his team in year 3 of his tenure, perhaps it is a good time to talk about the entire athletic department at ORU.  Blame President Wilson all you want, but Mike Carter apparently turns a blind eye to every other athletic program we have.  The GBB, Volleyball and Baseball coaches were all hired well before President Wilson came to ORU, and both GBB and Volleyball are pathetic at best.  I watched the OSU game GBB played a couple of weeks ago and quite frankly it was an embarrassment.  Not only did we lose, but most NAIA programs would have given Okie State more competition.  Going further, does anyone want to talk about how the GBB team performed in Brookings last night?  It was worse than MBB.  Coach Cussen has had a team that has failed miserably for years and I do not see that changing anytime in the future.  As for the Volleyball team. they fare even worse.  Then there is Coach Folmer's Baseball team which is slowly fading into the tank, year by year.  Unless things change this year he and his staff should be fired.  Baseball competes in one of the weakest leagues in all of D-I baseball and we could not even win the conference despite the fact that we spend way more on baseball then any other team in the Summit and also have some of the best facilities in the League.  Can someone tell me when was the last time we competed for the overall best athletic program in the Summit?  Our athletic programs by and large have been a joke for years even before Dr. Wilson showed up.  What then is the one common factor in all of that?  Mike Carter.  He allowed the Suttons to tank MBB when the plug should have been pulled on that regime years before it actually was pulled.  Be honest with yourselves, is ORU athletics overall really that good?  Athletic spending and donations to the program have increased.  About five or so years ago there were 270 Golden Eagle Club members.  This past year that number was very near 1,200.  If Coach Mills needs to be fired this year, and I am not taking a position either way at this time about that, then every other program needs a house cleaning as well because most of the other programs are in far worse condition with seeming no accountability or expectations regarding the respective staffs of those programs, vis-à-vis wins and losses.  If we are gong to have this discussion then lets start by addressing the real elephant in our living room, that being the entire athletic department at ORU.  

I agree 👍

The current state of athletics does not change until Carter retires and someone who cares about the program steps in. No more OSU guys please.

If we're being honest, what's more likely:

• An ORU program finishing in the top 3 in their respective sport in conference?
  • Dropping from D1 to NAIA or D3?

There are a lot of excuses that can be made but ORU currently doesn't value competing in a Division 1 atmosphere and instead thinks athletics is a "fun activity" for the respective students. Who knows, maybe that's the correct outlook.

I think within the next 5-7 years folding athletics into HPE or going D3 so the entire student body can take part in these programs is probably the best way forward.

Some pretty harsh comments about the state of the athletic dept.  Not sure how accurate they all are, but at least everyone feels like they can be open about their concerns.  

I had one less-than-stellar experience with Mr. Carter last year, but I'm trying no to let that affect my opinion of his ability to run the programs.  However, there is a palpable acceptance of mediocrity among most athletic programs.  This is, of course, from the outside looking in.  Hopefully, something changes the course of our programs soon.

There's a fine line between pessimism, optimism, and reality.  I hope we can all find the happy medium here.  Go Eagles!

I’ve been pretty encouraged by the direction of the MBB team so far. Surprised at the outlook after one blowout loss - might be a little dramatic? 

I don’t disagree with a lot of the comments on the state of ORU athletics as a whole though. We seem to trend in the wrong direction. I have heard that Sheera Sirola was tired recently, though she is still listed as coach on oru athletics.com.

SDSU blows out Western Illinois at home by 35. So could have been worse.

Talking about athletic directors, here's a picture I took from my computer screen about the new Deputy athletic director at ORU, Tim Johnson. 

1578669275023-2045146523.jpg

Edited by Cletus
misspelled words
  • Like 1

Everybody feeling just a little better now after the past couple games??....remember it's always darkest just before dawn.....Coach Mills isn't doing a bad job and doubtful that Mike Carter is the worst AD around....yes, some changes probably need to be made but no sense in turning this website into the TU board....agree that this team needs to clean up it's act on the road but let's see how we do in the next few games...3 winnable road games....hey, even the ORU ladies have won two in a row.....hang in there guys!....👍

PS....I know....when did TheEagleman start becoming "the voice of reason"???....😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1