BYU

ORU GRAD

9 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Fun watching Eman go toe to toe with their big guy Child's. It was much like the Ok state game in that the Golden Eagles fought hard until the end but could not come up with the big shots.  Continue to handle the boards with 46-37 advantage but gave up that key offensive rebound at the end.

29% 3 point shooting and Lufile only played 9 minutes. Fouls 14-5 differential. I thought the guys played tough and just lost in the last 2 minutes. Not bad for a team that is as tough as BYU. I believe they had some home cooking but we still were in the game. Eman was tough and he is back with a loss of a tooth and stitches over the eye.I believe we are still improving and showed progress.

Why did Lufile only get 9 minutes of playing time? Why did Lacis only get 8 minutes of playing time?  Why did Lazenby get 16 minutes of playing time?

We need to pound the ball into the post. Our guards watch the post players set up down low and don’t make the entry pass... sit them down until they make that pass

28 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Lineups / playing times were interesting....

If Lazenby is on the floor again in the final two minutes of a close game on the road as he was tonight, I feel quite certain it will cost ORU a win.  

He has absolutely no concept of situational awareness, on either end of the floor.

3 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Do you mean the foul he committed?

Ooh, that’s just one example. 

My main complaint with him being out there late is that whatever offensive set or play is being run just dies when the ball gets in his hands. 

He’s either just going to jab step his man a couple of times and then drive to the basket for a bad shot/bad pass in the air/charge/blocked out of bounds/etc., OR launch a hurried three that might go in or miss by feet. 

Either way, the possession is ending once he catches it - for better or worse. 

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

POUND THE BALL DOWN LOW!!

Yeah, all the big guys do is score in the paint, but it’s not as analytically metric as shooting threes, so there you go. 

All I know is that Lazenby’s next pass from the wing into the post will be his first. 

TheEagleman didn't see the game so it's hard to comment.....but from what I have put together from your thoughts it seems like ORU played decently and could have won this game....would have been a signature victory for Coach Mills but we came up short...not sure about some of the substitutions and Lazenby on the court in the final minutes is head scratching....When I saw the game tied with 2:15 to play, TheEagleman was feeling real good about it....but oh well....7-6 with the Summit games coming up isn't disgraceful....E-Man sounded very strong last night....Obanor still comes and goes...he had a double double as die E-Man but I expect more from KO....we also need to get R.J. out on the court....he's just always hurt and that's not good.....but on the bright side....a huge payday for TheEagleman with ORU covering and the over....also had Penn State and the Over in the Cotton Bowl yesterday.....so a good way to finish out 2019.....looking forward to some good things from ORU basketball in 2020.....GO BLUE!....:tb-blue:

Eligibility ≠ Experience. Lazenby is listed as a senior but has the experience of a redshirt freshman.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ty-lazenby-1.html

He should only be playing cleanup minutes. Not in the rotation.

If the staff insist on keeping him in the rotation, he should be limited to a catch and shoot player. No more than two dribbles before he is required to pass.

• Like 1

If ORU is going to win on the road anymore this season, it will take some strong defense. Just look at today's games: NDSU gives up 55 and wins at Denver, Kansas gives up 56 and wins at Stanford. SDSU gives up 81 and South Dakota gives up 82 and they both lose on the road. Last night they had good defense for a half but gave up 47 points and second half, meaning the Eagles always had to play check up. Not going to win road games giving up 79.

Not sure this tweet paints the true picture:  ORU trailed in somewhere near 90% of these games, often by double-digits, but kept fighting and closed the gaps late in the contests, only to crater in the final minutes with questionable game management. 

So, what can be taken away from these contests?  Both the good and the bad, most likely. 

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:
ORU trailed in somewhere near 90% of these games, often by double-digits, but kept fighting and closed the gaps late in the contests, only to crater in the final minutes with questionable game management. 

So, what can be taken away from these contests?  Both the good and the bad, most likely. 

The BYU game was the only one this season in which I felt our chances to win were truly hindered by game management.  It's much easier to claw back into a game than it is to actually turn the tables, take the lead, and then hold the lead.  In other words - what it takes to win is different than what it takes to compete.  But, you can't win if you don't first compete.

This team has showed a lot of heart to stay in games this year, but Saturday was the first time that they faced an opportunity to actually pull off an upset - and it was not managed well on the floor or on the bench.  Hopefully the team and coaching staff will learn from this experience, and it will pay off in the Summit season.

27 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The BYU game was the only one this season in which I felt our chances to win were truly hindered by game management.  It's much easier to claw back into a game than it is to actually turn the tables, take the lead, and then hold the lead.  In other words - what it takes to win is different than what it takes to compete.  But, you can't win if you don't first compete.

This team has showed a lot of heart to stay in games this year, but Saturday was the first time that they faced an opportunity to actually pull off an upset - and it was not managed well on the floor or on the bench.  Hopefully the team and coaching staff will learn from this experience, and it will pay off in the Summit season.

I would definitely add the OSU game to the "coulda/shoulda/woulda" list; had literal shots to tie the game or take the lead in the closing minute or so; Obanor's three getting blocked trailing by three with a minute to go stands out as not the way to get Capone.