BYU

ORU GRAD

This will be a big test before the League starts play. Here are some facts about the last game they played before Christmas. The Coach knows about ORU with a quote at the end. 

CHILDS AND BARCELLO LEAD BYU TO 91-61 WIN OVER WEBER STATE

BYU Coach Mark Pope  Vs. (Weber State) 

I'm super proud of our guys. We know that we had our hands full in this game. We talked about it a lot before the game, just in terms of this being a scary game for us. One of our Achilles heels, maybe, in the past has been ability to contain penetration when we’re facing a team that is really pushing in transition and has four guards on the floor that can really get to the rim and make shots. For the most part, especially in the first half, I was really pleased with our guys defensive focus. We got great efforts from several guys on the defensive end.”

“I thought Yoeli was really solid. I was most impressed with his ball screen and ball first defense, which was unbelievable. His transition defense was really solid all night as well. You see him bringing that part of his game to the forefront – that’s the part of his game that’s going to sell him. He’s already done everything offensively that you could hope to want from a player, but the pace that he’s playing this game on a defensive end, he’s growing so much, literally day by day. That gives us a chance to be a really special team, so I’m super proud of him for that.” On the game against Weber State, BYU, 10-4 on the season shot 62.5 percent from the field, 47.4 percent from 3 and 57.1 percent from the charity stripe. 

“We play against a team next week that’s killing people on the glass, they’re really big and really physical.” (ORU)

Junior guard Alex Barcello (18 pts.) and Senior forward Yoeli Childs (28 pts.) are the ones to watch. They Shoot lights out in the paint and around the rim and great behind the arc. 

3 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

“We play against a team next week that’s killing people on the glass, they’re really big and really physical.” (ORU)

So unusual to have ORU described this way, particularly by a program that is known for being big and physical itself. 

I watched BYU play the other night; reminded me a lot of Creighton:  long, slender white dudes who can really score, but a little lax on defense. 

If ORU has a healthy team on the court in Provo this Saturday night....TheEagleman thinks that we can be very competitive vs. BYU....we are really overdue for an upset.....need a couple of guys like Abmas, Obanor and/or Burns to just go off....something Marcello Vealy-Like.....😉

• Like 1

TheEagleman is expecting ORU to be about a 10-12 point dog in this one....may have to consider taking ORU....but then again we never seem to know in advance who is suiting up and who isn't from game to game.....anybody confirm that D.J. Weaver is definitely a redshirt for this year?....😗

BYU has already beaten some solid teams (@Houston, Virginia Tech, and UCLA). It will be interesting to see how ORU s frontline stacks up against BYU Child's, who is a possible future NBA power forward.  He really outplayed Eman last year.

ORU is +14 with an O/U of 149.5.... TheEagleman likes the Good Guys and the Over but wishes he knew if Fuqua and others are healthy....BYU is good but beatable if we bring the A game and the Cougars take us lightly....😉

TheEagleman has to go out tonight and cant watch but is expecting a strong effort from the Good Guys....ORU needs to run these slow white boys into the ground to spring the upset as a double digit dog.....I expect a fierce  battle in a game that could come down to the final seconds....Expect a Miracle??...Yes!!...Burns and Abmas hit a bunch of 3s and Obanor plays his best game yet...E-man is a beast... ORU 84 BYU 82....Go Blue!!:tb-white:😎

Coming off the blowout of Chicago State on the road and the impressive home win against a quality opponent in Missouri State, one would think that ORU has momentum going into this game against BYU. I'm trying to be optimistic and convince myself that ORU can go into Provo and catch the Cougars off guard during the winter break, but I just fear that it's gonna be another 20 point deficit at the half and end up being a 10-12 point loss as BYU puts in the subs towards the end of the game and ORU whittles it down some.

Needless to say I will be keeping a close eye on the game while also watching some football!

The major goal is to play hard/tough and incur no injuries. Oh, and cash the check too. Winning would be sweet, but BYU is really tough at home. And they typically get really sweet home cooking from the refs. 

ORU is playing some tough defense tonight. Great steal and finish by Max at the end of the half. Only down 32-30.

63-60 BYU with 5 min left....Good Guys battling...😁

I was clearly wrong. Tough one to lose, but definitely excited about what this team might be able to do in conference play!

So many discussion points, both good and bad, but the bottom line is this:  

Can ORU, with this roster and this staff, win close games down the stretch on the road (and in Sioux Falls in March), where you must manufacture your own “luck”?

Mark my words:  it’s the difference between 11-5 and 8-8 in the Summit League regular season, or advancing in the conference tournament, and I have yet to see anything to convince me they can.

We should get a pretty good indication this next week in Brookings and Omaha.

Fun watching Eman go toe to toe with their big guy Child's. On some of those road games it seems Eman has to carry the team.  It was much like the Ok state game in that the Golden Eagles fought hard until the end but could not come up with the big shots.  Continue to handle the boards with 46-37 advantage but gave up that key offensive rebound at the end.