ORU - Chicago State

TrueBlue82

The road rout gave us a big boost with Ken Pomeroy, improving our ranking by over 25 places to 138; now tops in the Summit (USD is 139).  

While this jump makes me question the validity of such rankings, the win also gave me some increased hope moving into the Summit season. 

We need to keep playing at a high level, as three of our next four games are virtually “pick-em” contests.  Mo State on Saturday is our most significant N/C home game of the year - and the first weekend of the Summit season provides a road trip with two toss-ups (on paper) at SDSU and Omaha.   Winning one or both of those games would have a huge impact on our final conference record - and eventual tournament seeding. 

Last night could very well be the largest road victory for ORU all time.....TheEagleman can't recall any margin of 38 or more during his time at ORU in the 70s and a brief check of other seasons failed to find anything even close....unless it happened during the NAIA years.....last night was very possibly historic....😮

I find myself comparing this ORU squad (and recent ones) to the standard set by the conference champion teams from over a decade ago, and finding it sorely lacking. 

But, based on what I keep seeing from opposing teams, I begin to wonder if where this team is “at” right now might actually be good enough to realize similar success.

Am I alone in wondering if college basketball has slipped in quality overall?

That Chicago State team last night was as bad a D1 team as I’ve EVER seen in decades of watching college basketball, with Houston Baptist and Central Arkansas not too far behind. 

Even the “better” teams ORU has faced this season seem to have lapses of poor play that have allowed ORU to get back into games that would have been blowout loses for really good Golden Eagle teams in previous years. 

Are teams just not getting enough practice time anymore to maintain momentum once the starters are on the bench?  

Are teams shooting themselves out of bigger leads by poor shot selection when they’re up on the scoreboard?

Has “travel ball” and the demise of high school basketball programs crippled the concept of team play?  

Are players just “softer” than they used to be?

Or, am I just an “old”?  lol  #okboomer

Chicago St. is ranked 352 out of 353 D-1 teams....#353 is Mississippi Valley St......😐

The quality of college basketball is not what it was say 15-20 years. With so many players transferring or with the bigger schools (one and done). Harder to build teams with so many new faces each year.  The Golden Eagles would have a team that could compete for the conference championship if everyone were healthy but most nights they have 3-4 guys out.  So they most likely will be 9-7 in league play.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Am I alone in wondering if college basketball has slipped in quality overall?

I don't know if it's just recency bias but I definitely agree.

Even at the blue blood level modern teams aren't as impressive as they were at the turn of the century. Basketball everywhere but the NBA seems to be suffering from a quality problem.

My personal opinion is that the anomaly of the Golden State Warriors (with 3 of the greatest shooters ever at one point) gave the illusion that every team needs to prioritize the three over ball movement.

ORU's big win over Chicago State appears to have raised some eyebrows around the league and with those who follow it:

Check out the last minute or so of this one:

21 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The road rout gave us a big boost with Ken Pomeroy, improving our ranking by over 25 places to 138; now tops in the Summit (USD is 139).

While this jump makes me question the validity of such rankings, the win also gave me some increased hope moving into the Summit season.

Big jump as well in the NET ranking from the NCAA:  from #214 all the way up to #149, comfortably in 2nd place in the Summit behind South Dakota.

Shockingly (lol), it appears to really help your numbers if you beat someone who's actually part of the formula (even if they're ranked in the bottom ten of 353 teams).  Will be very interesting to see what ORU's number might become with a win Saturday over #130 Missouri State.

Random Observation from the NET Rankings:  how bad has the Southland Conference, ORU's old home, become in basketball?  SIX teams in the Bottom 50 of D1 (with five in the bottom seventeen), all with ZERO D1 wins:

• #305 New Orleans (0-5 vs. D1)
  • #337 Central Arkansas (0-9)
  • #338 Southeastern Louisiana (0-6)
  • #340 Northwestern State (0-6)
  • #342 Houston Baptist (0-8)
  • #352 Incarnate Word (0-7)

Any word on the status of Fuqua and Lacis for Saturday vs. Missouri State???😕

26 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

"Covfefe"

27 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

"Plastics"

29 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

"Strategery"

(all right, that's enough - back to the year-end bookkeeping that I'm trying so hard to ignore)

Chicago State just lost 75-60 to a solid Northern Illinois team at home.   They played some defense and stopped the three point shot.  No bad considering that they looked like a NAIA team against ORU.

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Big jump as well in the NET ranking from the NCAA:  from #214 all the way up to #149, comfortably in 2nd place in the Summit behind South Dakota.

Shockingly (lol), it appears to really help your numbers if you beat someone who's actually part of the formula (even if they're ranked in the bottom ten of 353 teams).  Will be very interesting to see what ORU's number might become with a win Saturday over #130 Missouri State.

Random Observation from the NET Rankings:  how bad has the Southland Conference, ORU's old home, become in basketball?  SIX teams in the Bottom 50 of D1 (with five in the bottom seventeen), all with ZERO D1 wins:

• #305 New Orleans (0-5 vs. D1)
  • #337 Central Arkansas (0-9)
  • #338 Southeastern Louisiana (0-6)
  • #340 Northwestern State (0-6)
  • #342 Houston Baptist (0-8)
  • #352 Incarnate Word (0-7)

Here is a pretty interesting site tracking the NET rankings for every D1 team:

Bracketologists: Summit League

Bracketologists: Oral Roberts

11 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Here is a pretty interesting site tracking the NET rankings for every D1 team:

Bracketologists: Summit League

Bracketologists: Oral Roberts

The quadrant rankings of ORU's schedule is fascinating stuff.

In case you're wondering:  "quadrant" in this instance is not a geographic term; it's the NCAA's measure of difficulty for a particular game, based on the power rating of an opponent and where the game is being played:

• Quadrant 1:  Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2:  Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3:  Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4:  Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

ORU currently has one Quadrant 1 game remaining on the schedule (at #38 BYU) and one Quadrant 2 game (at #83 South Dakota).

#124 Missouri State at home this weekend counts as one of five remaining Quadrant 3 games.

11 of ORU's remaining 18 games are Quadrant 4 games.  Decent teams should win all Quadrant 4 games, wouldn't you think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The quadrant rankings of ORU's schedule is fascinating stuff.

11 of ORU's remaining 18 games are Quadrant 4 games.  Decent teams should win all Quadrant 4 games, wouldn't you think?

This breakdown explains (much more effectively) the point that I was trying to make through a previous post.   The MoState and the first two Summit roadies are HUGE for our season.  

We don’t expect to win the 1s and 2s, although we can pull an upset here or there, and we think that we should go undefeated against the 4s, with an occasional slip-up.  But, it’s the quadrant 3 games (the toss-ups) where we can make or break our season record. And, we haven’t had any Q3 games yet this season, which makes these three even more important.  

On paper (and I emphasize that), if we lose all of our Q1 and Q2 games (as expected), go 3-2 in our Q3 games (assuming three wins since three are at home), and win all of the Q4 games, our ending regular season record would be 20-9.  While I think that there will naturally be a couple of slip-ups in the Q4 games, any wins on the SDSU/Omaha roadtrip would offset any slip up. I think 18-11 is a much more realistic outcome, but the next four games will play a significant role in that final record. 

• Upvote 1