NCAA "NET" Rankings

Old Titan

The initial NET rankings of the season from the NCAA were released today, and ORU's soft home schedule and winless road record have done the Golden Eagles no favors in the eyes of the computer.

NET, as you may recall, replaced RPI last season as the NCAA’s primary evaluation tool, and factors-in game results, strength of schedule, game location, scoring margin, net offensive and defensive efficiency and the quality of wins and losses.  Today's benchmark numbers for the season were delayed from last year's first ranking, to provide for more game results and a more accurate picture.

That being said, the numbers still look a little wanky:  USD a Top-100 team?  Omaha in second place in the conference, above NDSU?  ORU in fifth, 50 points below its national ranking on most analytic websites?  

ORU's puny home schedule must be out-weighing the benefit of playing a pretty strong (as it turns out) road slate. I'm guessing this formula ignores the four non-D1 wins and views the Golden Eagles as having a 1-5 record.

Plus, the Summit League as a whole does not seem to fare as well with the NCAA computer as it does with the Ken Pomeroys and Bart Torviks of the basketball world, at least other than USD:

#83          South Dakota

#157        Omaha

#196         North Dakota State

#198         South Dakota State

#211         Oral Roberts

#246         North Dakota

#261         Fort Wayne

#272         Western Illinois

#306         Denver

These numbers likely have nowhere to go but down once conference play begins, so it appears the Summit League will not rate anything higher than a 15-seed when NCAA tournament time rolls around.

Did the RPI ever allow for movement THAT drastic? I don't remember any massive swings like that.

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Did the RPI ever allow for movement THAT drastic? I don't remember any massive swings like that.

I don't remember such a shift either - personally, I think the 211 was way too low and the 113 might be a little bit too high, but this will settle out over the course of the season.

ORU does not (yet) have any “bad” losses. TU would presumably be the “worst” loss so far, and they’re not bad.

I think that as much as anything is helping ORU’s rating. 

Which goes to show that beating Chicago State was not nearly as critical as simply “not losing” to them, if you know what I mean.