Ranking the Summit League

Old Titan

1 hour ago, TrueBlue82 said:

ORU now sits at 109 in the NET rankings, and has the “distinction” of being the highest ranked team in the country with a losing record against D-1 opponents.  

That 2-point bump from Tuesday is probably attributable to Missouri State's win over Evansville (who had beaten Kentucky, who beat Louisville, etc., etc., etc.)

And, there's this for Thursday's numbers:  Wichita State 75, East Carolina 69 earlier today.

"Every time the Shockers win, a Golden Eagle gets his wings!!"

film christmas GIF by Paramount Movies

Plus, the night is still young:  Creighton leads Marquette by 10 at the half in Omaha.

At this rate, ORU could just sit out the rest of the season and end up a 12-seed. 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Summit crown is still wide open after week 2 of action.  Although ORU sits in the middle of the pack at 2-2, their schedule gets much easier the second half of the season, and I am still predicting an 11-5 conference record.  Of course, they will need at least one win (and preferably, two) on the upcoming road trip to keep this as a possibility. Don't give up on the Eagles if they stay around .500 into February, as the last five games (four at home with one away game at Denver) are all very winnable.  My conference tournament seeding prediction after week two:

1. SDSU

2. NDSU

3. ORU

4. Omaha

5. USD

6. UND

7. PFW

8. WIU

Out. Denver

Wow! South Dakota just put 99 on SDSU tonight at home. They were kinda struggling but now have seemed to have figured things out. ORU will have their hands full on Saturday.

The Summit League title is now officially up for grabs....it's really a four or possibly five team race....big game for ORU at Vermillion next Saturday afternoon but it's a game that the Good Guys can win....we have a week off to prepare....South Dakota has to play Thursday night.....if ORU wants to have a shot at the #1 seed this is a game we need to win....:tb-white:

14 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

The Summit League title is now officially up for grabs.....if ORU wants to have a shot at the #1 seed this is a game we need to win....

A road win at USD would be huge - and would definitely put us in the driver's seat at this point in the season, but it is not a must win to stay in contention for the #1 seed.  The top six "contenders" in the Summit (the four Dakotas plus Omaha and ORU) have played 15 home games in conference play, and have a 14-1 record (Omaha's win at UND was the only outlier), so a road win is VERY hard to come by.  So far, the recipe for success has been to win all games at home and defeat the "non-contenders" (PFW, WIU, Denver) on the road.  The top three teams in the league (NDSU, SDSU, ORU) have followed this approach perfectly - with no "upsets" either way.  Omaha won at UND, but then inexplicably lost at Denver, so they are also "even".  USD stubbed its toe with early season losses at PFW and WIU, and has a lot of ground to make up.  A loss to ORU at home would likely knock them out of contention.

My ultimate point is - if we win on Saturday,  we should be ecstatic, as we will likely later look back on this game at the one that "set us apart" from the rest of the league.  However, if we lose, it really doesn't hurt our chances unless another contender goes into Vermillion and beats the Coyotes on their home court.  At this point, both SDSU and Omaha have already tried and failed.

• Denver: @North Dakota (2-4), @NDSU (4-1), South Dakota (3-3), @ORU (4-2), Ft. Wayne (2-3), @SDSU (5-2), @Omaha (3-2), ORU (4-2), @Ft. Wayne (2-3), Western Illinois (2-4)
  • North Dakota: Denver (1-5), Western Illinois (2-4), @Ft. Wayne (2-3), ORU (4-2), South Dakota (3-3), @Western Illinois (2-4), SDSU (5-2), NDSU (4-1), @Omaha (3-2), @South Dakota (3-3)
  • NDSU: @SDSU (5-2), Denver (1-5), @Western Illinois (2-4), @Ft. Wayne(2-3), @Omaha (3-2), ORU (4-2), Ft. Wayne (2-3), @South Dakota (3-3), @North Dakota (2-4), SDSU (5-2), Omaha (3-2)
  • Omaha: Western Illinois (2-4), Ft. Wayne (2-3), South Dakota (3-3), NDSU (4-1), @SDSU (5-2), @ORU (4-2), Denver (1-5), @Ft. Wayne (2-3), @Western Illinois (2-4), North Dakota (2-4), @NDSU (4-1)
  • ORU: @South Dakota (3-3), SDSU (5-2), Denver (1-5), @North Dakota (2-4), @NDSU (4-1), Omaha (3-2), South Dakota (3-3), @Denver (1-5), Western Illinois (2-4), Ft. Wayne (2-3)
  • Ft. Wayne: @South Dakota (3-3), @Omaha (3-2), North Dakota (2-4), NDSU (4-1), Western Illinois (2-4), @Denver (1-5), @NDSU (4-1), @SDSU (5-2), Omaha (3-2), Denver (1-5), @ORU (4-2)
  • South Dakota: Ft. Wayne (2-3), ORU (4-2), @Denver (1-5), @Omaha (3-2), Peru St., @North Dakota (2-4), Western Illinois (2-4), @ORU (4-2), NDSU (4-1), @SDSU (5-2), North Dakota (2-4)
  • SDSU: NDSU (4-1), @ORU (4-2), @Western Illinois (2-4), Omaha (3-2), Denver (1-5), Ft. Wayne (2-3), @North Dakota (2-4), South Dakota (3-3), @NDSU (4-1)
  • Western Illinois: @Omaha (3-2), @North Dakota (2-4), NDSU (4-1), SDSU (5-2), @Ft. Wayne (2-4), @South Dakota (3-3), North Dakota (2-4), Omaha (3-2), @ORU (4-2), @Denver (1-5)

Home
Denver 4 (2 against .500 or better)
North Dakota 6 (4 against .500 or better)
NDSU 6 (3 against .500 or better)
Omaha 6 (2 against .500 or better)
ORU 6 (3 against .500 or better)
Ft. Wayne 5 (2 against .500 or better)
South Dakota 5 (2 against .500 or better)
SDSU 5 (3 against .500 or better)
Western Illinois 4 (3 against .500 or better)

Away
Denver 6 (4 against .500 or better)
North Dakota 4 (2 against .500 or better)
NDSU 5 (3 against .500 or better)
Omaha 5 (3 against .500 or better)
ORU 4 (2 against .500 or better)
Ft. Wayne 6 (5 against .500 or better)
South Dakota 5 (3 against .500 or better)
SDSU 4 (2 against .500 or better)
Western Illinois 6 (2 against . 500 or better)

• Upvote 1

Great breakdown of the upcoming summit league schedule. Very informative. After the next two games, ORU has a very favorable schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, TrueBlue82 said:

Don't give up on the Eagles if they stay around .500 into February, as the last five games (four at home with one away game at Denver) are all very winnable. 

As we (myself included) are all still comatose from Wednesday’s loss, I felt it appropriate to resurrect my post from three weeks ago.  It helps remind me of ORUTerry’s famous quote - “things are never as bad or as good as you might think at any point in time” (my paraphrase).  Hang in there, Eagle fans. 

On 1/31/2020 at 5:00 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

As we (myself included) are all still comatose from Wednesday’s loss, I felt it appropriate to resurrect my post from three weeks ago.  It helps remind me of ORUTerry’s famous quote - “things are never as bad or as good as you might think at any point in time” (my paraphrase).  Hang in there, Eagle fans. 

Tonight Dakota State won over Omaha and placed ORU in a tie for 4th. Place in Conference. The games tomorrow and Saturday night are huge. It is time for ORU to play like winners and step up to the plate. Go Eagles!

Omaha has now lost two in a row at home.....that hurts.....ORU needs a split this weekend but not gonna be easy....:shield-logo:

• 4 weeks later...

NDSU defeats SDSU in overtime to clinch the #1 seed in the tourney, assuming the Bison take care of business against Omaha over the weekend.  It’s highly likely that the two XDSUs will meet again in twelve days in the championship game in Sioux Falls, so the difference between the 1 and 2 seed is pretty insignificant.  

For ORU, this increases the prospects of a semi-final matchup with NDSU.  While either of the XDSUs would be formidable, ORU would have the crowd behind it in a matchup with the Bison, as most SDSU or USD fans would cheer against NDSU.  A minor difference, perhaps, but an interesting dynamic of holding the Summit tourney in Sioux Falls.  

Give SDSU a lot of credit this year. They lost all their star power from last year (Daum and company).  Then there coach left to go to UNLV and yet they still win 22 games and finish tied for 1st place in the Summit League.  Thought they would be down this year and yet the Jackrabbits did not miss a beat.

• Like 1