ORU vs. Rogers State

Old Titan

1 hour ago, EagleManiac said:

Saunders should be playing more. Lazenby should be playing less.

Is “less” another way to say “not at all”?

11/19/19

Rogers St. Post game

Post game report says that K.O. is still in the gym shooting free throws. He was a gym rat last year and was named freshman all American. Look out Summit League!

Why did E-Man not play???...😕

Adam said on the broadcast it was a sprained knee, but it sounded more precautionary than anything. My guess is he would have been playing if it were a bigger game. 

Lets hope E-man can go on Saturday at Wichita St....gonna need him to stay competitive....🙏

10 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Is “less” another way to say “not at all”?

This ^^^^^

Very tired of watching all the silly decisions with the ball - just wasted minutes.

Rogers State has a nice team; they would win a few Summit League games, but must resist the impulse to make them more than what they are:  a nice D2 team.

Also must not read too much into Obanor's night:  lofting flat-footed threes over undersized post players in a game like this is simply fool's gold.  As he found out in the closing minutes of the game in Stillwater, that shot gets altered or even blocked with anyone over 6-8 guarding him.  His marksmanship Tuesday night was impressive, but does that sort of thing travel to places like the Dakotas and Omaha?  Doubtful; I'm hopeful he will return more often to the low wing and post where he is still a beast.

Some other observations:

• Eli Lufile is EASILY my favorite new player, with his meteoric development officially nudging Dre Burns from that pedestal on my personal list.  He had a follow dunk last night that was waved-off as an over-the-back foul that was "Sportscenter Top 10" worthy.  He's got great energy, and nimble feet.  He is quickly becoming must-see entertainment; ala Kevin Ford.
  • Saunders had a nice little burst in the second half, and he's light-years more effective on the floor than Lazenby, but his perimeter defense last night was pretty bad.  Guessing that may be why he's not getting more playing time; but he still deserves more.
  • If not for Obanor's night, all the talk might be about how nicely Francis Lacis played.  He looked good shooting on the perimeter in his limited minutes.  He has a much higher release point on his shot than Kevin; could be interesting to see how he progresses in that role.
  • Why is "A-B-M-A-S" pronounced "AZ-muss"?  Isn''t that a little "asnormal"?
  • What's the general consensus on Eli's (the mascot, not the player) new hairpiece:  weave, plugs, or full-on toupee?
  • Moses Ehambe was born to be a timeout hype man, though his "Mr Incredible" outfit Tuesday night gave the impression he was wearing red chaps and was bare-bottomed.  Awkward...
  • The volume level was so high on the PA Tuesday night, I could not carry on a conversation with my guest.  And I'm no blue-hair; I listen to Led Zeppelin and Foo Fighters at levels in my car that rival an airliner taking off, but last night at the Mabee Center was just silly.  It's not like it's necessary just for the announcer to be heard over the "crowd" noise.
  • Speaking of the PA guy:  the "WHOOP!! WHOOP!!" after each ORU three pointer was tired by about the third game LAST year; and the only thing more cringe-worthy than hearing it over and over again is the satisfied little smirk he makes EVERY. TIME. HE. SAYS. IT.  Glad HE'S having fun, at least.
  • Also, why all the excitement over changes of possession?  "IT'S GOLDEN EAGLES BALL!!!!" a dozen times a night?  It's not like recovering a fumble or making an interception; inbounding the basketball is a pretty common occurrence in today's game.

Enough with the snarkiness:  I'm surprised every time Max MISSES; his shot looks that good.  And Eli really is a pleasure to watch right now; he's growing by (literal) leaps and bounds before our very eyes.  Just hoping the other-than-Obanor sluggishness of the offense Tuesday night works itself out quickly, because playing at Wichita State Saturday afternoon is gonna be a whole nuther deal...

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Eli Lufile is EASILY my favorite new player, with his meteoric development officially nudging Dre Burns from that pedestal on my personal list.  He had a follow dunk last night that was waved-off as an over-the-back foul that was "Sportscenter Top 10" worthy.  He's got great energy, and nimble feet.  He is quickly becoming must-see entertainment; ala Kevin Ford.

I couldn't believe how high he got. It was clearly over the back but the crowd loved it. He is a tenacious rebounder, Big Chris had a hard time keeping him off the offensive glass.

Great comments by OT.....sounds like we need ORUVOICE back at Mabee Center.....also, very impressed that OT listens to Led Zeppelin and Foo Fighters....time to dial up a little Kashmir and Stairway to Heaven.....😎

38 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Eli Lufile is EASILY my favorite new player, with his meteoric development officially nudging Dre Burns from that pedestal on my personal list.  He had a follow dunk last night that was waved-off as an over-the-back foul that was "Sportscenter Top 10" worthy.  He's got great energy, and nimble feet.  He is quickly becoming must-see entertainment; ala Kevin Ford.

• Like 2

Did anybody else notice Burns seemed to be slipping around out there? There were at least 4 times Dre lost his footing... almost like his shoes weren't giving him any traction. ❓

I’m a little concerned with this team.  They seem to have some shooters but they haven’t shown up yet.  20 turnovers last night is something to be concerned about with a guard heavy team.  And it seems like their offense is pick up ball, lot of quick shots.  (Just because you are open doesn’t mean it’s a good shot). Old Titan makes a lot of good points.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Did anybody else notice Burns seemed to be slipping around out there? There were at least 4 times Dre lost his footing... almost like his shoes weren't giving him any traction. ❓

Couple of thoughts:

1. Not sure if it’s a generational shift or a by-product of the shoe company scandals in college basketball, but gone now are the days of each team wearing the same brand shoe as part of a contract. Now, each guy wears his own brand. Maybe Dre needs to rethink his choice of shoes?
  2. I’ve never seen the Mabee Center floor look so scuffed up as Tuesday night.  I mean, it looked flat-out dirty. And, if that’s the case, it’s inexcusable:  these are guys’ careers we’re dealing with here. Can someone please go grab a mop?  Or maybe stick some Swiffer pads on Eli’s chest, so when he slides into the megaphones at the end of the Spirit Sprint, he can do a little cleaning at the same time?

1 hour ago, ORUPucks said:

I’m a little concerned with this team.  They seem to have some shooters but they haven’t shown up yet.  20 turnovers last night is something to be concerned about with a guard heavy team.  And it seems like their offense is pick up ball, lot of quick shots.  (Just because you are open doesn’t mean it’s a good shot). Old Titan makes a lot of good points.

Pick up ball is a good description. The only difference is there is a coach on the sideline and he's constantly yelling "MOVE IT!!"

But the ball movement seems to be just to appease the cries from the bench, and not actually to move the defense. Ball movement is only valuable if it is moving the defense and getting AT LEAST one defender out of position, but that rarely seems to be the case. We just move the ball for the sake of moving the ball, and then settle for a heavily contested drive or semi-open 3 pointer.

9 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Pick up ball is a good description. The only difference is there is a coach on the sideline and he's constantly yelling "MOVE IT!!"

But the ball movement seems to be just to appease the cries from the bench, and not actually to move the defense. Ball movement is only valuable if it is moving the defense and getting AT LEAST one defender out of position, but that rarely seems to be the case. We just move the ball for the sake of moving the ball, and then settle for a heavily contested drive or semi-open 3 pointer.

I watched William & Mary push Oklahoma to the limit the other night in Norman, and the beauty of their motion offense almost made me weep.

Off-ball screens, back door cuts, the purposeful ball movement, it was breathtaking to behold - and virtually a lost art in today's "chuck-a-three-or-drive-to-dunk" landscape.

Like watching classically-trained dancers in the midst of a rave mosh pit.

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Rogers State has a nice team; they would win a few Summit League games, but must resist the impulse to make them more than what they are:  a nice D2 team.

Also must not read too much into Obanor's night:  lofting flat-footed threes over undersized post players in a game like this is simply fool's gold.  As he found out in the closing minutes of the game in Stillwater, that shot gets altered or even blocked with anyone over 6-8 guarding him.  His marksmanship Tuesday night was impressive, but does that sort of thing travel to places like the Dakotas and Omaha?  Doubtful; I'm hopeful he will return more often to the low wing and post where he is still a beast.

Some other observations:

• Eli Lufile is EASILY my favorite new player, with his meteoric development officially nudging Dre Burns from that pedestal on my personal list.  He had a follow dunk last night that was waved-off as an over-the-back foul that was "Sportscenter Top 10" worthy.  He's got great energy, and nimble feet.  He is quickly becoming must-see entertainment; ala Kevin Ford.
  • Saunders had a nice little burst in the second half, and he's light-years more effective on the floor than Lazenby, but his perimeter defense last night was pretty bad.  Guessing that may be why he's not getting more playing time; but he still deserves more.
  • If not for Obanor's night, all the talk might be about how nicely Francis Lacis played.  He looked good shooting on the perimeter in his limited minutes.  He has a much higher release point on his shot than Kevin; could be interesting to see how he progresses in that role.

After going to the game last evening, I have to agree on above comments. The additional comments are:

1. Burns did not seem to be on his game last evening. 

2. Eli is going to be a monster on the boards and is becoming more of a scoring threat. That put back was definitively an ESPN highlight reel.

3. Jones and Saunders need more playing time along with especially Lacis. I still am wondering why Lazenby is getting the minutes. Turnovers and not impressive.

4. Obanor is coming on and looking more like what we expected after watching him last season. 

5. I watched D.J. at both pregame and at halftime and he is still a great shooter. I hope to see him soon. He seems to be moving around good.

6. Why did we let Chris Miller go? He scored 24 against us last evening.Still foul troubling but a good overall player.