ORU at Iowa

Old Titan

Vegas:  Iowa +12.5, total 162 (87-to-75ish, Hawkeyes)

Iowa starting line-up:

6-3

6-5

6-6

6-11

6-11

ORU used to start length similar to that; not any more.

Pick a number, Iowa - it's your call.

Iowa is 1-1. They beat SIU Edwardsville 87-60 and lost to unranked Depaul 93-78. With Iowa's height advantage here are my keys to victory against a team that appears beatable: 1) Tough defense 2) Better shooting % 3) Use our quickness to disrupt them and press when necessary 4)limit turnovers. Let's go into their house tonite guys expecting to win!

ORU could stay competitive tonight but TheEagleman isn't expecting us to win.....this probably isn't the best Iowa team over the past decade but they still should have enough weapons to get a victory this evening.....current line is Iowa -12 and the O/U has dropped to 160.5......I kind of like Iowa and the Under on a teaser bet.....not going all in though.....let's call it something like Hawkeyes 83  ORU 68.... also, SDSU only a 6 point dog at Nebraska tonight....that's interesting.....😎

Not sure what to make of the Iowa loss to DePaul..... I don't think DePaul is that good, or Iowa that bad. I do believe that Iowa has  a pretty good squad this year, good enough to finish towards the top of the Big 10, so, my gut tells me that coming off the DePaul loss, the Hawkeyes will be looking to right the ship and turn the tables on their next opponent...I fear Iowa wins by 20+.......and I also see the football Hawkeyes handing Minnesota their first loss tomorrow as well.

Iowa is like watching teams from the 50s and 60s! They are big, strong, and white. Gives us white guys hope that we can play basketball (😁). DePaul beat them with speed and athleticism, which the Golden Eagles have. We will see if Iowa has figured out how to beat these types of teams. 

Anyone else unable to get the game on either The Franchise (including the TuneIn App) or ORU Athletic's website?  I have tried everywhere to get the game.  I was able before the half to get it, but not now.  Please Athletic Department, if you are going to bill yourselves as the ORU Sports Network or whatever, at least act like one.

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Vegas:  Iowa +12.5, total 162 (87-to-75ish, Hawkeyes)

Iowa starting line-up:

6-3

6-5

6-6

6-11

6-11

ORU used to start length similar to that; not any more.

Pick a number, Iowa - it's your call.

Vegas all over this one as the Hawkeyes lead wire-to-wire, 87-74.  The wise guys virtually nail the spread AND the total.

Could have been much worse; the hosts had 74 points and a sizable lead with over 10 minutes to play, but emptied the bench and only scored 13 the rest of the way. 

Pretty misleading final margin as ORU trailed by 15 at the half and was down by over 20 points for the first 10 minutes of the second stanza before the Hawkeyes went on cruise control.

25 points for Max Abmas, who continues his quest of the D1 record for most 3-point attempts in a season by a freshman.

The irony in the broadcasting snafu would be Coach Mills actually bothering to show up for the postgame radio interview for a change, but no one was able to hear it (he no-showed again following the loss at TU, an insulting and far too common habit during his 2+ seasons at ORU). 

Now ORU can play 4 out of the next 6 at home agasint non division one teams. Time to pad the stat sheet. 

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Now ORU can play 4 out of the next 6 at home agasint non division one teams. Time to pad the stat sheet. 

Yeah, let me know how those turn out; I’m sure it will be really compelling stuff.bored larry david GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone still doubt Abmas as a starter? This kid is a baller.  Wish we had 2-3 more like this.  We may have been more competitive tonight if we had.

TheEagleman didn't see it but will cash his wager ticket on Iowa and the Under tonight....also Nebraska easily over SDSU...……🤑….sounds like ORU really got mashed tonight....bring on Rogers State!.....😬

7 hours ago, EagleFan21 said:

Anyone still doubt Abmas as a starter? This kid is a baller.  Wish we had 2-3 more like this.  We may have been more competitive tonight if we had.

Nice trolling - I’ll bite. 

Even 20-loss teams have a leading scorer. 

If you enjoy losing two out of every three games (and almost every contest in recent years vs. Top 150 teams) by starting multiple diminutive guards who surrender as many points as they score, then be my guest. 

Until ORU starts playing some guards with size who can defend the perimeter, stay tuned for further high-scoring losses whenever they play better competition. 

9 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Nice trolling - I’ll bite. 

Even 20-loss teams have a leading scorer. 

If you enjoy losing two out of every three games (and almost every contest in recent years vs. Top 150 teams) by starting multiple diminutive guards who surrender as many points as they score, then be my guest. 

Until ORU starts playing some guards with size who can defend the perimeter, stay tuned for further high-scoring losses whenever they play better competition. 

Trolling? SMH.  Just pointing out a player who knows how to score some points.  Just saying Mills should be commended for keeping with the true freshman, when others thought he shouldn't even start.  If I was trolling, I would have been quoting.

Undersized/diminuitive? He's listed at 6'1" & 160, not the biggest guard, but I  remember another freshman guard that was the same size down in Norman two years ago.  He is now lighting it up in the NBA and even getting some MVP talk.  I also remember him catching flack for his less-than-stellar D.  I'm not saying this kid has Trae Young talent, but maybe we should start praising these sort of players.

Max is already showing he can score but his size is limiting. There are some areas he will have to improve on but he's a freshman with only a few games in.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EagleFan21 said:

Trolling? SMH.  Just pointing out a player who knows how to score some points.  Just saying Mills should be commended for keeping with the true freshman, when others thought he shouldn't even start.  If I was trolling, I would have been quoting.

Undersized/diminuitive? He's listed at 6'1" & 160, not the biggest guard, but I  remember another freshman guard that was the same size down in Norman two years ago.  He is now lighting it up in the NBA and even getting some MVP talk.  I also remember him catching flack for his less-than-stellar D.  I'm not saying this kid has Trae Young talent, but maybe we should start praising these sort of players.

Wow - where to start? LOL

First, when you ask the question, “Anyone still doubt Abmas as a starter?”, that’s trolling (I.e. posting something in the hopes of eliciting responses).  So, like I said:  “Sure, I’ll play along”.  Didn’t mean anything by it; thought that’s what you were fishing for.

Secondly, there is no question Abmas is a born shooter, and he does have a little Trae Young in him in terms of the quick release. But, I watched a very average skinny white kid from TU completely take Max out of the game the other night, simply because of his height advantage (Korita, 6-5). And if you don’t think other teams won’t do the same thing once the word gets out on Max, you’re fooling yourself. Because of his size, he’s got to either become more accurate from 3 from even farther out (like Trae), or develop an upfake-and-drive game to get to the rim (or kick the ball to the corner) to keep those long defenders honest.

Finally, if Abmas is 6-1, then I’m a 7-footer. 

To praraphrase Mark Twain: there are little white lies, damned lies, statistics, and finally, the heights listed on college basketball rosters. 

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Wow - where to start? LOL

First, when you ask the question, “Anyone still doubt Abmas as a starter?”, that’s trolling (I.e. posting something in the hopes of eliciting responses).  So, like I said:  “Sure, I’ll play along”.  Didn’t mean anything by it; thought that’s what you were fishing for.

Secondly, there is no question Abmas is a born shooter, and he does have a little Trae Young in him in terms of the quick release. But, I watched a very average skinny white kid from TU completely take Max out of the game the other night, simply because of his height advantage (Korita, 6-5). And if you don’t think other teams won’t do the same thing once the word gets out on Max, you’re fooling yourself. Because of his size, he’s got to either become more accurate from 3 from even farther out (like Trae), or develop an upfake-and-drive game to get to the rim (or kick the ball to the corner) to keep those long defenders honest.

Finally, if Abmas is 6-1, then I’m a 7-footer. 

To praraphrase Mark Twain: there are little white lies, damned lies, statistics, and finally, the heights listed on college basketball rosters. 

17.8 ppg as a freshman through four games.  This is the best on the team and certainly deserving of his starting spot.  Yes, he has a ton of room to grow and get better, which only makes the prospects of his future even brighter for our Eagles.  I'm sure Iowa scouted us before the game and saw what TU did to limit Abmas, and yet he still managed to put up 25.  

Can't we just tip our hat to his performance, say job well done, and agree he deserves to be a starter, rather than point out his limitations? Doesn't every starter on our roster have their own deficiencies?

8 hours ago, EagleFan21 said:

17.8 ppg as a freshman through four games.  This is the best on the team and certainly deserving of his starting spot.  Yes, he has a ton of room to grow and get better, which only makes the prospects of his future even brighter for our Eagles.  I'm sure Iowa scouted us before the game and saw what TU did to limit Abmas, and yet he still managed to put up 25.  

Can't we just tip our hat to his performance, say job well done, and agree he deserves to be a starter, rather than point out his limitations? Doesn't every starter on our roster have their own deficiencies?

OK, fine, if Max starting means that much, whatever.

Frankly, I’m more interested in how the team FINISHES, not who’s In the starting five.

I happen to think ORU might have a better chance of actually WINNING A GAME with Kearns starting and Abmas coming off the bench as an offensive spark.

But, if what REALLY matters is having Max start and shoot as many 3’s as possible in order to lead the team in scoring, no matter what the result is in the W-L column, then we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Bottom line:  as long as ORU keeps shooting so much & so poorly from behind the arc, while giving up so many points and losing by double digits to every team over .500 that they play, worrying about who deserves to be in the starting line-up and/or leading the team in scoring is tantamount to arguing over the optimal arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic.