3-point Shooting

ORUTerry

The NCAA pushed the 3-point line back 16.5 inches to 22 feet 1-3/4 inches for the 2019-20 basketball season. From my limited vantage point of watching several NCAA basketball games this season, it seems to be having a negative effect on shooting percentages - at least so far.

Here is a story about the change:

How the new 3-point line might affect college basketball

Link:    :https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-10-03/how-new-3-point-line-might-affect-college-basketball?amp

The best 3-point shooting college basketball teams this century

Link:    https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-10-18/best-3-point-shooting-college-basketball-teams-century

ORU comes in at #81  (36.5% with 3,544 3-pointers made)

The NCAA three point line began at 19 feet- 9 inches before moving to 20 feet 9 inches - and now has moved to 22 feet 1-3/4 inches (to match the international game)

• Like 1

I guess I'd missed this bit of news, or had forgotten about it, but it certainly explains some of the misses so far.  Thanks for sharing  

ORU has attempted the eighth-most 3-pointers in the NCAA this season averaging 32 per game after the first week of play as Abmas is second in the country trying 38.

ORU is currently in the top 10 in 3-point attempts but 70th in 3-pointers made.

26 /96 (27.1%) #284 in NCAA

Reminds me of a comment made by oft-quotable Billy Tubbs when he first got the head coaching job at Oklahoma:

"This year we plan to run and shoot."

"Next year, we hope to run and score."

It's one thing to have an offense predicated around taking good three-point shots when you're properly positioned at all five spots to take them.

It's quite another to simply loft up any three following 6-to-8 unproductive passes, just trying to beat the shot clock.

Remains to be seen which category ORU falls into, but the stats don't lie - the three-point shooting so far has been just that:  shooting.

ORU has a lot of small guards trying to shoot over long arms from 23 to 25 feet. Going to be hard to do that this year. If Max was 6'4 or 6'5 he would player of the year in the conference but he is 6 trying to play the two guard. DJ getting healthy and being 6'8 would solve some of the three point shooting woes.

ORU had two 6'8" shooters last season... but there seems to have been a step backwards.