ORU vs. Houston Baptist

ORUTerry

58 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is early in the season but K.O. looks kinda lost out on the floor. Last year he just took over and had a fearlessness about him. Now he tries to play point forward and drive the ball to the basket or pass to someone else.  He also shoots a lot of threes, much like Eman did early on in his career. He is best around the basket.

I was thinking exactly the same thing.  It’s still early, and I’m confident that he will find his stride. 

12 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is early in the season but K.O. looks kinda lost out on the floor. Last year he just took over and had a fearlessness about him. Now he tries to play point forward and drive the ball to the basket or pass to someone else.  He also shoots a lot of threes, much like Eman did early on in his career. He is best around the basket.

This ^^^^^^

Very strange situation.

His body language is terrible; he plays hard for a possession or two, then gets visibly frustrated, standing around on offense and making foolish fouls on defense.

Wouldn’t be the first case of the sophomore jinx I’ve ever witnessed (see: Baker with the Browns), but so far it’s been one of the worst.  

I will say this:  Mills is doing KO no favors during his funk by mismanaging his minutes during his inevitable foul troubles so far.

For example, in Stillwater Mills kept KO and Eman both in the game with two fouls down the stretch of the first half, leading to pointless third fouls for both in the final seconds before the break, and subsequently the fourth foul for each before the 4-minute timeout in the second half. 

Tonight, when Obanor picked up his 4th foul with 5 minutes to go and the lead still in single digits, Mills inexplicably subbed Abmas for Lazenby instead of KO during the stoppage after the call.  Obanor fouled out seconds later, but luckily that’s when Abmas exploded and the lead doubled.

Challenging enough that ORU must deal with Eman and KO being saddled with fouls all season, no reason to compound the issue with poor minutes management. 

Coach Mills needs to talk to Kevin and just remind him where his strength is. It seems like he had to do with Eman during his second season, kinda relight his 🔥

I thought there was a real nice crowd for the first home game and for HC.  Our defense was the difference in the 2nd half.  The new scoreboard is really sharp and Big!  It's early and we are still figuring things out, but this is a game we lose last year.  We have a nice mix of youth and experience on the team.  Looking forward to the game vs. TU.  Our boys play very hard and poised.  KO does seem off his game, but he's too athletic and savy to know figure things out.  He'll get there.  Go eagles!

Wasn’t able to attend last night - so my observations are from the box score. 

* out rebounded HBU by 12; Lufile grabs 11 boards in only 14 minutes(!).  This stat means we were hustling and working hard

* held HBU to 39% shooting; we shot 44% but only 31% from 3-point line. I suspect the deeper line will result in lower percentages - at least early in the season  

* committed 16 turnovers vs. 17 assists; had 10 steals

Not bad stats for the 2nd game in the season, but we need to improve  

My thoughts:

I am very impressed with Abmas. What a great freshman! So confident in shooting those 3's.

Burns is unbelievable. He comes to work and he gets the job done!

Lufile is quickly becoming my favorite player. He's another guy who does not mess around--GIVE ME THE BALL AND LET'S SCORE SOME POINTS!

Of course, I'm still an officer in the Kevin Obanor Fan Club. Somehow, he reminds me of past players that I used to love to watch. We've talked in the past on this board about team chemistry. Maybe he is struggling a little to find his role among the new guys whose play is so different from last year's team (IMHO). I have FAITH in him--he will come to life and be the star that we know he is. 🙂  

This team so far is very guard heavy and playing at a very fast paced level. In a way, they have kinda run off and left K.O. behind. Looking at the starting five he is like the fourth option out there.  He seems to have a different role on this team, rebound and get the fast break going.  Question is: can he adapt to that (not being the star) and avoid being frustrated and foul out?

1 minute ago, titansforever said:

My thoughts:

I am very impressed with Abmas. What a great freshman! So confident in shooting those 3's.

Burns is unbelievable. He comes to work and he gets the job done!

Lufile is quickly becoming my favorite player. He's another guy who does not mess around--GIVE ME THE BALL AND LET'S SCORE SOME POINTS!

Of course, I'm still an officer in the Kevin Obanor Fan Club. Somehow, he reminds me of past players that I used to love to watch. We've talked in the past on this board about team chemistry. Maybe he is struggling a little to find his role among the new guys whose play is so different from last year's team (IMHO). I have FAITH in him--he will come to life and be the star that we know he is. 🙂  

I was writing from my observations from the game and I could not have said it better. The only addition to this above post is that Fuqua is a disruption machine.  He is a nice tandem with Burns. Also, Eman did have to adjust the 2nd half of the Oklahoma State game. Obanor has not made the adjustment yet but will get there.  They play fast and are a better defensive team than last year. They go to to floor for the loose ball .OT and I observed from the beginning that Burns was a winner along with Abmas and Lafile. What great additions to the team. They still play in spurts but that is to be expected but they are a fun team to watch. The match up with Tulsa will tell more of what we can expect this year as a road team. 

I totally agree on R.J. He is quick and he is confident and he keeps pushing--very disruptive! And those purple shoes!!

One other thing on Obanor. It's like other teams are saying, "Okay, we heard about you. We know you're the guy we have to watch out for, so we're REALLY going to go after you and cause you to foul so we can get you out of the game as soon as possible." Double-team, triple-team, whatever it takes. 

Nice victory.  Actually when was the last time we could watch ORU win three games/matches in the same day?  Congrats also to WBB and Volleyball.  Here is hope that Men's Soccer brings home the Summit regular season championship this evening at Case.  Go Golden Eagles!

Attendance Friday night 2159???.....on Homecoming and a Friday night for students?...that's embarrassing.....😥