ORU vs. Houston Baptist

ORUTerry

The Huskies lost to Tulsa 72 to 80 on Tuesday. HBU is is the Southland Conference (6th season). Finished 12-18 last year; 8-10 in conference. Their coach (Ron Cottrell) has been at HBU for 29 years. The school has an enrollment of 3,325 and they play in an arena with a stated capacity of 1,000.

Against TU, they scored 72 points on a 35.8% FG% - and were 9 of 29 from the three point line (31.0%. The Huskies shot 15 of 18 from the charity stripe and matched TU' in rebounding at 40 each. They committed 16 turnovers and had 2 blocked shots.

They have tall guards; Dubose (6'4") scored 20 points and grabbed 10 rebounds against TU. They also have size (6'10" and 6'9") in the post. 

Link to HBU basketball site:    https://hbuhuskies.com/sports/mens-basketball

After playing ORU, Houston Baptist will take on Texas Tech, Michigan, Houston and Dayton.... that is some schedule.

• Upvote 2

I’m telling ya, these guys from HBU aren’t bad. And, they’re going to shoot a lot of threes, which could be problematic  

One area of concern for ORU following the OSU game:  the Cowboys had a LOT of uncontested three-point shots.

The first 10 minutes, they hit them. The rest of the game, not so much.  

But, they were still wide open. It’s important to not confuse good fortune with good defense - ORU still has a lot to prove re: guarding the perimeter. 

Here’s hoping HBU doesn’t find the Mabee Center rims as inviting as have so many other visiting teams in past seasons. 

• Upvote 1

ORU had better guard that perimeter.  They have some dude’s that will shoot first and think about it later.  TU was fortunate to win the game, they are definitely not the HBU of old.  By the way, looking forward to Tuesday night!

Houston Baptist is similar to ORU: they are coming off a poor season but 7 of their top 9 players return. So they are better than last year. Looks like Tulsa really pounded the 🏀 inside agasint the Huskies, scoring 48 points inside the paint. Time for the Golden Eagles to feed the big guys, K.O. and Eman.

ORU has been listed as a 9 point favorite in this Homecoming game at Mabee Center....hopefully the alumni and students show up with a decent crowd to support this team.....Everybody above thinks HBU is pretty good....news flash....they aren't.....might not be blowout but this is a game the Golden Eagles should win convincingly in front of a nice crowd on our home court....Huskies head home from their Tulsa trip 0-2.....ORU 88  HBU 75....GO BLUE!!….:tb-blue:

I like ORU in a close one; so I think I would have to take HBU and the nine points if my paycheck depended on it - something like 83-77, good guys.

Never quite sure what you might see on a quick turnaround this early in the year; but it's not like there was a lot of travel involved by playing in Stillwater (I suppose some teams in LA or New York City spend the same amount of time on their buses every week playing teams in their so-called local areas).

Still, the physical and emotional toll of Wednesday night's battle is no doubt real; simply remains to be seen if it translates to any sluggishness Friday night. 

Hopefully, the combination of home opener and homecoming will be just the tonic needed to boost everyone's energy level.

Houston Baptist with an extra days rest does perhaps help their cause....ORU needs to come out strong and not let the Huskies hang around...but this one could end up being close most of the way......nine points is a lot.....TheEagleman just might take this one off....😬

Line increases to 9.5.  This is quite a sign of respect for ORU against an opponent that lost by eight at TU earlier in the week.  

I’m aligned with OT in taking the Huskies and the points.   I think ORU wins, but doesn’t cover. 

As OT posted above, it will be live streamed on ORU Athletics complete with a broadcast crew.  I just finished watching the Lady Eagles beat Texas State on that site.

just tried to catch my first ORU hoops of the season

no radio stream for homecoming....not on the oru athletics website and not on franchise tulsa (jenks football)

i fail to understand why year after year they don't come up with a work around early in the season when HS football is still ongoing

Completely agree Alum.  I tried watching the game on the Athletic Department's website and all it did was kept freezing up.  Total bush league.  I am trying to get the game from about 1,000 miles away and it is not easy.  I did find a feed on Facebook but it is not good either.  No excuse ORU, absolutely pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

yep their video streaming does not work well for me either....they only have a HD option w/no lower quality stream available

thanks to espn live stats....looks like the good guys are going to win going away

nice win...Mills has a lot of D1 players available w/lots of options to mix and matchup.  he has definitely upgraded the roster from what Sutton left him.

I'd say Solomon Bozeman earned his salary.......Burns is a real nice player.  shame ORU only has him for 1 season.

1647668082_HoustonBaptistvs.OralRoberts-BoxScore-November82019-ESP_-www_espn_com.png.6f98b9a4fcaad72d425386d2d6ac8603.png

Nice homecoming win....95-81...balanced scoring but what happened to Obanor? Hope there was a nice crowd.....😁

Really Fun game to watch. The defense looks much improved, lots of steals and hands in the passing lanes. Burns and Fuqua are are nice defensive tandem.

- Not sure who has the record for most 3-pointers in a single game but Max Abmas may very well break it as a freshman. When Weaver comes back we are going to have a lot of shooters.

-Burns looks to be the best transfer we have had since Obi Emegano. His intensity is contagious.

-Lufile is a beast, once the game slows down a bit those easy shots will fall. In the meantime, he is gobbling up rebounds.

- Good to see Francis playing for a little while, we will need him.

-I may be biased from watching too much NBA but I like that we are shooting around 30 3's a game. Eventually we will hit better then 30% of them. It's been a long time since we have had good three point shooting team.

-Should be an exciting game against Tulsa next week!

It is early in the season but K.O. looks kinda lost out on the floor. Last year he just took over and had a fearlessness about him. Now he tries to play point forward and drive the ball to the basket or pass to someone else.  He also shoots a lot of threes, much like Eman did early on in his career. He is best around the basket.

• Like 1