ORU at Oklahoma St.

theeagleman5

Didnt see the contest but TheEagleman is really proud of the Good Guys in this 80-75 loss...so glad i didnt have time to double up on that wager....wait until ORU has Weaver and Obanor for a full game...:circle-logoi:

After looking at the stats and play by play some things stand out about the game.

1. Many different players from ORU  stepped up to rebound and both teams had 46. Big win for the good guys since uca outrebounded them by 17 in the exhibition game.

2. ORU won the turnover battle 21-17. Which was almost unheard of last year. Looks like RJ and Burns made some steals to help the cause.

3. ORU was within one in the last minute or so and OSU's center kept blocking some of those last shots (he had eight blocks for the game).

4. Defense was good as the cowboys only shot 37% for the game.

Overall, strong start for the golden eagles on the road agasint a solid Big 12 team.

If you would have told TheEagleman that Obanor and E-man would combine for only 21 points and we lose by only 5...i would have said you were nuts...looks like this year ORU has some guards in Burns and Abmas who can put the ball in the hoop...😁

Strange, strange game - obviously nothing like I predicted. 

ORU forced by foul trouble to go with a FOUR-guard line-up, which surprisingly got the good guys back into the game down the stretch, as OSU inexplicably refused to pass the bell inside and instead settled for ill-advised outside shots, resulting in long rebounds that the quicker and harder-working ORU guards ran down (smallest-guy-on-the-floor RJ Fuqua with NINE rebounds).

Dre Burns already one of my favorite ORU players of all time, as his incredible work ethic and sublime offensive skills have not only been productive, they’re rubbing off on the other guards. 

Even with all the big-man foul trouble, Ty Lazenby is playing way too many empty minutes. He exudes confidence far beyond his skill level (which is not a good thing).

Max Abmas may at some point this season score more points in consecutive possessions than anyone in school history. He is a “heat check” machine once he hits a three. 

OSU looked like they were sleep-walking the entire second half. They kept waiting for “the big run” to push the game to a twenty-point lead, and when that run came from ORU instead, they looked ill-equipped to handle it. They were lucky not to lose. 

Lots of encouraging stuff for ORU fans; fascinated to see if there is a carryover, or a hangover, with the quick turnaround Friday night against sneaky-good Houston Baptist. 

• Upvote 1

A few things that stood out to me:

After 2.5 years of recruiting under Mills program, ORU is looking better than they have in a LONG time. The talent level on the floor is noticeably higher. 

Max Ambas passed the eye test and oh man is he a smooth operator. He is fun to watch. 

It's amazing the difference having a true point guard makes.

Curious to see who will step up and be the go to guy as the season progresses. 

The camera crew kept showing Scott Sutton looking exasperated on the Cowboys bench as ORU went on runs during the first half. Then nothing during the second half lol. Did someone say something to the broadcast team?

• Upvote 1

11/6/19 Oklahoma St. Postgame

I listened to the OSU postgame show on the drive home from Stillwater, and I think Cowboys coach Mike Boynton might have talked longer (and, more glowingly) about ORU’s performance than Paul Mills did in that 2:24 soundbite.

Looks like Adam Hildebrant could be on a postgame questions restriction again this year; he managed to slip a whopping four queries into that exchange.

Perhaps they were afraid the bus might leave without them... 😉

Oral Roberts head coach Paul Mills

On the game:
"Mike has a good team. Oklahoma State is obviously really good. Having been in this league 19 years, I've seen a lot of good teams. They have physical guards, they have bigs an elite level shot blocker, which we saw at the end. We are disappointed in the outcome of this game, but I'm proud of my guys."

On teams fight:
"Down at the half, and down nine with nine to play, I told the guys, it's our job to hit singles, not home runs. We opened the half down 9 and tried to hit home runs whenever we needed to hit singles. I thought we eventually chipped away and got better."

On Yor Anei:
"You just look at the stats and see he's top five in the country and just say "wow". There is no way to game plan for that. You can talk to them about it, but to get it they have to see it. I thought down three we have a 44% three point shooter a shot he usually can make, and he wasn't even able to get it off. That is a great luxury to have."

On the play of the team:
"I don't think we will go 7 for 32 the rest of the year. They had a lot to do with that. Coming into an environment for the first time, you can show it on TV, or film, but it doesn't translate until you come here and play, and from this it will translate, we will get better and hopefully we don't have any more shooting nights like this."

8 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

Oral Roberts head coach Paul Mills

On the game:
"Mike has a good team. Oklahoma State is obviously really good. Having been in this league 19 years, I've seen a lot of good teams. They have physical guards, they have bigs an elite level shot blocker, which we saw at the end. We are disappointed in the outcome of this game, but I'm proud of my guys."

On teams fight:
"Down at the half, and down nine with nine to play, I told the guys, it's our job to hit singles, not home runs. We opened the half down 9 and tried to hit home runs whenever we needed to hit singles. I thought we eventually chipped away and got better."

On Yor Anei:
"You just look at the stats and see he's top five in the country and just say "wow". There is no way to game plan for that. You can talk to them about it, but to get it they have to see it. I thought down three we have a 44% three point shooter a shot he usually can make, and he wasn't even able to get it off. That is a great luxury to have."

On the play of the team:
"I don't think we will go 7 for 32 the rest of the year. They had a lot to do with that. Coming into an environment for the first time, you can show it on TV, or film, but it doesn't translate until you come here and play, and from this it will translate, we will get better and hopefully we don't have any more shooting nights like this."

Good stuff, ORUGrad - I'm guessing this is from the post-game press conference? 

Perhaps Adam (and ORU radio listeners) would be better served with broadcasting live audio from those post-game pressers, though I doubt that's allowed in most (all?) road venues.

Yor Anei was the difference down the stretch; he was blocking everything in the paint (and even outside it, as Kevin Obanor found out the hard way on what could have been a game-changing three attempt in the final minute).  The guy has explosive athleticism and a voracious approach to protecting the rim - if ORU had someone like him this year, it would make them 8-to-10 points better on defense.

Coach Mills' responses to Adam's questions sounds like the guy describing to his buddies how he feels after the girl who's way out of his league talks to him. 🤣😂 "Meh, no big deal." 

You have to act like you've been there and expected to win, right? 

You don't want the players pat their backs too much on moral victories, right?

But inwardly, you know he is psyched!

And he should be. He almost got his first signature win. Against the team his predeseccor now coaches for, on their home floor, after only 3 years of taking over a dumpster fire. 💪🏾

Coach, it's ok to let the moral victories propel you to actual victories! 

Enjoy the successes you had last night. 

• Like 2

We played defense and no one was hurt - that’s what I was looking for. 

I like that we battled back after getting down 16 points. That shows heart. We found a way to compete while being outmatched athletically. Shots were not falling - but that happens early in the year. 

Burns is the point guard/leader we have been looking for. Plays hard/smart on both sides of the court. 

• Like 1

I watched the entire game on ESPN+(still not impressed with the quality of their broadcast), but left feeling encouraged for this year's team.  OSU clearly has more talent, no doubt, but ORU played with more energy and determination.  Shot way too many 3s, but also realize OSU had the size advantage.  Got to think our 3-pt% will get better.  21.9%...no good!  Anyway, it's good to see the good guys playing better than last year.  

Yeah guard play was the big question mark coming into the season because we knew the inside game was solid (2 all stars at forward). They answered that for at least one game. Sam Kearns not starting shows that Coach knows Burns and Max are the real deal.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

...Friday night against sneaky-good Houston Baptist

Houston Baptist is a good team. They moved the ball and shot it efficiently in their game against TU. Shooting will need to improve to win on Friday.

Pros:

• Really impressed with the effort (especially in the second half).
  • After watching ORU get out rebounded versus Central Arkansas I would not have expected to tie a much longer and more athletic OSU team (46-46).

Cons:

• 3-Point shooting (21.9%).
  • Shot selection - too many threes by players who probably shouldn't be shooting them.

Without Weaver or Lacis plus the underwhelming stat line KO put up being within a single point with 1:14 to go was definitely surprising. If ORU gets DJ and Francis back this team could be a force in the Summit.

Was DJ Weaver in uniform last night?....😬

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Was DJ Weaver in uniform last night?....😬

Yes; curious to see Friday night if he participates in warm-ups/lay-up line/etc., for what that’s worth.

Not into "moral victories" but not a bad showing in Stillwater.  Now we need to follow-up with a nice win over Houston Baptist.  Hopefully a nice crowd shows up.  Go Golden Eagles!

• 3 weeks later...

OSU looked really good at MSG last night vs. Syracuse in the NIT preseason tournament....86-72...they will now play in the finals on Friday vs. Mississippi ......😬