ORU Courtside Countdown

ORUTerry

I joined ORUJason and ORU Grad for the ORU Courtside Countdown last night and thought I would share my random thoughts

The new scoreboard was installed and looks great. It is big.

The turnout was great and it seemed like they raised a good amount of money for scholarships & programs

They introduced both teams - and unlike past years, neither squad has anyone on crutches or in a boot  

Both women’s and men’s teams had a spokesperson speak about what a basketball scholarship meant to them - and gave thanks to the fans and people who have donated. Very inspirational 

The teams battled each other in a “Family Feud” contest - which the women won handily. They were quicker with the bell and then ran through the questions  

Misti Cussen spoke about the five seniors on the squad and how close the team is.  Thinks will be able to battle the South Dakota schools for an upper tier finish

Paul Mills joked about losing the “Family Feud” game with Max Abmas on the team - since he had an offer from Harvard. He said Max played well this past weekend and scored 31 points in the scrimmage. Also said the guys have been working hard and that he set a goal of each player making 20,000 shots  

Scott Higgins interviewed Moses Ehambe and Larry Owens. Both are great representatives of ORU and spoke of memories from their playing days at ORU and professionally. Larry Owens said that he always took great pride in his defense and wanted to guard the other team’s best player. He challenged the current players to take that mentality. Afterwards I saw that Jonathan Bluitt was also there - visiting with Larry & Moses. Ehambe is going to be a great tool for ORU - helping current players develop/mature and possibly with future recruits 

Dre Burns sat at our table and is definitely a mature, level headed young man. He said he and RJ will run the point. I asked him the difference between ORU and UALR. He said this team is more family like. The difference in style of play between the Sun Belt and Summit (from what he has seen on video) is the Sun Belt is more athletic. Burns said that he will try to use his speed and athleticism to penetrate and kick out to the shooters or dish inside  

Met briefly with Elijah Lufile. He is a stout, muscular young man. Was very friendly 

I spoke with someone who heard about the scrimmage and said that he was told that Lazenby turned heads and impressed people.

I’d be interested to hear others impressions 

FDF7EEC0-195B-43FD-BF61-C0E1F2F7B675.jpeg

328A0D43-DC2C-4FC3-8562-141ED7521EF1.jpeg

6F2F1F26-1A08-4A32-8CB7-BB2416A0E18D.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Nice report! Interesting note on Ty. He may not have played much at OU but has practiced with some really good players the last couple of years (Trae Young and Christian James). So that must have helped his game.

Why are the sides of the scoreboard inset like that? Is that permanent? Overall, very nice upgrade. 
Max Abmas, a true freshman scoring 31 points in his first outing? Pretty exciting prospect. Max sat at our table and was very well spoken and friendly. 

16 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Why are the sides of the scoreboard inset like that? Is that permanent? Overall, very nice upgrade. 

I wondered the same thing, but other than looking a little unusual, I’m not sure it impacts the view that much for anyone sitting in the corner of the arena. If fans can see both the end of the scoreboard and the side, they’re going to be focusing on the side screen anyway.  Those end cap screens are really just intended for those who are seated behind the baskets with no angle to the side screens at all. 

• Like 1