Starting five predictions

Keenan Henderson

As we get about a month away from the 🏀 season starting, what is the sports forum's predicts on the starting five/depth chart. Thanks for the input.

46 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

As we get about a month away from the 🏀 season starting, what is the sports forum's predicts on the starting five/depth chart. Thanks for the input.

My guess would be:

• Kearns
  • Burns
  • Weaver
  • E-Man
  • Obanor
  • Upvote 2

This is not an easy assignment. I have placed three seniors and two sophomores  in my starting five including a  new addition to the chemistry at point guard. My actual pick would have been Lacis as the fifth starter but we really need a point guard. Lacis would be the 6th. man coming off the bench. We have so many additions and really have some depth at the shooting guard position. This could be an exciting year.

1.   Emmanuel Nzekwesi  2. Deshang Weaver  3. Sam Kearns  4. Kevin Obanor  5. Deondre Burns

I'm hoping for some surprises!  Who has improved?  Especially the sophomores.  What about Lazenby and Lufile?

Looking at the roster, the starting jobs seem like they could be won by most anyone.  Of course, I haven't been to practice - I wasn't invited.  😉

• Upvote 1

Not so interested in the starting five; more concerned about the rotation. 

Inexperienced coaches with a wealth of choices on the roster sometimes play too many guys in an effort to keep everyone happy and find good combinations.  The epitome of this is the dreaded 5-man platoons; one off and one on. 

Here’s hoping those things can be rectified in practice instead of games; and a sensible rotation of 8 or so guys can be solidified sooner rather than later. 

Not uncommon to see 10 or even 11-12 man rotations early in the year as coaches try to find the right combinations. Especially with lots of young/new players. It should go down to around 8 or so as the season wears on. 

Unless you use a pressure defense like VCU - then you use everyone including the walk ons. 

6 hours ago, MrsSmith said:

I'm hoping for some surprises!  Who has improved?  Especially the sophomores.  What about Lazenby and Lufile?

Looking at the roster, the starting jobs seem like they could be won by most anyone.  Of course, I haven't been to practice - I wasn't invited.  😉

This is a good point. Hopefully there will be competition at multiple positions.

ORU may also play some small ball: 4 guards and Eman or K.O. With all those shooters on the team that could work, too. Golden State has had a lot of success with it and that style of play has trickled down to the college level.  In the end, the Golden Eagles will be able to throw different looks at teams depending on the situation they face from game to game.

On 10/5/2019 at 12:12 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU may also play some small ball: 4 guards and Eman or K.O. With all those shooters on the team that could work, too. Golden State has had a lot of success with it and that style of play has trickled down to the college level.  In the end, the Golden Eagles will be able to throw different looks at teams depending on the situation they face from game to game.

Only works for Golden State (and anyone else) if you have a Swiss Army knife defender like Dramond Green on the floor.

Otherwise, any advantage on offense in the 3-or-4 guard lineup is offset on the defensive end. 

Four Returning Starters. Coach Mills gives a hint to starting five. Obanor, Eman, Weaver, Kerns, and unknown?  I had Burns as the unknown in above post,  Oh, Lacis started 16 times last year. ???????????????????? Do we now have 5 starters?

https://www.oruathletics.com/landing/index

• 3 weeks later...

ORU pre-game notes list the starters for Sunday’s Exhibition as Kearns, Burns, Fuqua, Eman, Obanor.  It will be interesting whether this three-guard approach will be the standard.  It sounds like Dre and RJ will share the point guard duties this year, so it’s a little surprising to have both in the starting lineup.  Those two should see a lot of action tomorrow. 

Surprised to see Fuqua in the starting lineup. I thought he might have trouble working his way back into the rotation after being out for so long. 
That’s a pretty small group, especially at the 1-3 positions. I’ll be surprised if DJ doesn’t end up in the starting five, if nothing else just to get some length on the perimeter. 

52 minutes ago, EagleManiac said:

Surprised to see Fuqua in the starting lineup. I thought he might have trouble working his way back into the rotation after being out for so long. 
That’s a pretty small group, especially at the 1-3 positions. I’ll be surprised if DJ doesn’t end up in the starting five, if nothing else just to get some length on the perimeter. 

I don't think that will last too long... Central Arkansas starts a 7 footer and overall is a taller team.

I missed the first of the game.  Why isn't Eman playing?  I also didn't realize that DJ Weaver is out for an extended time.