Project 31: 31 Stories in 31 Days

Old Titan

51 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I think that is a very introspective and honest quote.  What seems strange to me about it is that the thought of taking a team first attitude seemed like almost a foreign concept to him until the coaches really emphasized it with him.  

Did he not have a junior high or high school coach who emphasized a team first attitude?  I am probably reading too much into it.  

I know it is not easy to coach a team to truly think like a team and work together like a team.  I am glad to hear that Coach Mills and his staff are making a positive impact with these players.

I could see how it could be hard to adapt. Most DI players were the best players on their junior high / high school teams. But now they are on teams with equal or better players.

1 hour ago, SpaceManSpiff said:

I could see how it could be hard to adapt. Most DI players were the best players on their junior high / high school teams. But now they are on teams with equal or better players.

Really hard transition for players coming from juco ball, where everyone is trying so hard to get noticed, which leads to a lot of "stat chasing".

Juco players typically have trouble initially playing defense at the D-1 level; just not something that is emphasized at that previous level (particularly "team defense", which means communicating, and helping out when things break down).