Project 31: 31 Stories in 31 Days

Old Titan

Oh my gosh:  this kid's three older brothers are named Chadrack, Meshack, and Abednego?

And Elijah's the fourth brother?

DID ANYONE IN ORU ATHLETICS MEDIA RELATIONS TAKE "HOLY SPIRIT IN THE NOW" AS A FRESHMAN????

"WHO IS THAT FOURTH MAN!" 😅

(This was an hour-long sermon, one of Oral Roberts' most notable ones from over 60 years ago, featuring those three "Hebrew children" surviving the fiery furnace.  If you ever heard him preach that sermon, you know what I'm talking about.  If you haven't, it's definitely worth a listen.  It's a real tent-raiser!)

• Like 1

I am interested to see Lufile play this season. Has ORU had any previous players from Canada?

TheEagleman was blessed to have seen OR preach the Fourth Man sermon live back in the early 70s in Chapel.....of course, watched it several times in 20th Century Evangelism....lol....hopefully ORU basketball has at least five guys who can play this season....:tb-white:

Compared to the videos we saw this summer, it appears from this picture that Elijah has lost a LOT of weight the past few weeks. 

Hope that’s a good thing!

It appears, based on that photo, they moved him off Tutt's #1 that he was listed under on the team roster.  Way too big a guy to rock a single digit jersey.

Elijah is about the same size as Zion Williamson and he says he is athletic (likes to drunk).  Sounds somewhat like Zion both strong and athletic.  Let's hope there is some resemblance between the two.

Kudos to ORU Athletics on the Project 31 campaign.  It’s of great value to me as a fan to hear these stories  - and it definitely gets me pumped for the season ahead!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It is surprising to see that Max is a shooter instead of a point guard. ORU needs a more traditional point guard (run the team, more assists, etc) because most of the guards are shooters (Kearns, Burns, Jurgens).

I thought the same thing....  let's hope he is a true combo guard and can run the point when needed.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is surprising to see that Max is a shooter instead of a point guard. ORU needs a more traditional point guard (run the team, more assists, etc) because most of the guards are shooters (Kearns, Burns, Jurgens).

Actually we have 5 or 6 shooting guards if you include Ty Lazenby, Jones, and Saunders and only 2 point guards in Burns and Fuqua. With Lazenby, Lacis and Weaver at the 3,  we still have 5 guards at the 2 spot. Lots of shooters! That Puts Obanor, Eman, and Lufile at the 4, and 5. Interesting scenario with really not a true 5 in my opinion unless it is Lufile. I can't wait to see how this plays out. True Blue 82 is right on about getting pumped up for the season.

1 hour ago, ORUTerry said:

I really like the attitude of our transfer. Here are some quotes from Project 31

"Since day one, it's been a family atmosphere here at ORU. From the coaches to the players, everyone is so tight knit and get along well with each other. That has helped me a lot since getting here. I am enjoying playing. I am enjoying going to practice and working. When you are around people and build relationships, you want to get better and win for each other."

"You are going to get 100 percent from me every time. I am competitor and I want to win. I am not afraid to say I hate losing and am a sore loser. I can't stand going up against somebody and him beating me."

Lazenby has won at every stop on his basketball journey and he expects that same level of success with the Golden Eagles in 2019-20.

"I can promise the fans that this year is going to be fun to watch. You'll get to see an entire lineup competing every night trying to win a conference championship and we want to make a run in the tournament this year," Lazenby concluded.

I like what Saunders had to say in his interview; it shows a lot of maturity:

“Last year was not only my first year of DI basketball, but there was a big learning curve," Saunders said. "People respond to things differently, but it's all about how you do respond. I wouldn't say my junior year was my best year on or off the court. Once I recognized that, I wanted to focus on what I could do better. Ever since last season ended, I had time to reflect on everything positive and negative that I could transform into my senior year where I could prosper."

The process of looking inward is a challenge for any player at any level, but Saunders took that message to heart and knows the power of working together as a team to reach new heights.

"Getting out of myself and actually realizing what the team needs was tough. I can think about myself and what I need to do, but in the end it's not going to help the team. When I reflected and thought about what all the coaches asked me to do in order to help the team, it just made sense. I have to lock in on taking care of the ball and be that defender the coaches trust me to be for the team. That self-reflection and actually coming to that realization was the hardest part, but once I figured it out, it made this offseason that much better."

I think that is a very introspective and honest quote.  What seems strange to me about it is that the thought of taking a team first attitude seemed like almost a foreign concept to him until the coaches really emphasized it with him.  

Did he not have a junior high or high school coach who emphasized a team first attitude?  I am probably reading too much into it.  

I know it is not easy to coach a team to truly think like a team and work together like a team.  I am glad to hear that Coach Mills and his staff are making a positive impact with these players.