KU

ORUTerry

Those last couple paragraphs look pretty bad for Self.

Don't see how you weasel out of that and say you had no knowledge or that you are not talking about adidas helping you land players especially when they have wiretaps of adidas setting up payments for 2 recruits..

Just makes his inevitable trek to the NBA (OKC Thunder?) more likely.

Anyone who thinks Self was doing anything differently than many (most?) of the Top 25 programs is fooling themselves; he's just the poor sap that had his conversations documented by a snitch.

Which doesn't make what he did right, but he's hardly alone. 

Nevertheless, the Infractions Committee will try to make him a sacrificial lamb in a weak effort to treat a cancer they've turned a blind eye to for a couple of decades now.

• Like 1

But ultimately, text messages between Self, Townsend and Gassnola that were entered into evidence in the federal trial could doom him. In August of 2017, shortly after Kansas and Adidas agreed to an extension of their apparel contract, Gassnola texted the following to Self: “In my mind it’s KU bill self. Everyone else fall into line , to (expletive) bad, that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball. And I know Iam RIGHT. The more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy

That’s how it should work in my mind.” 

Self responded: “That’s how ur (sic) works. At unc and Duke”

Gassnola: “Kentucky as well”

Gassnola: “I promise you. I got this , I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol"

The “Dyondre” he was talking about, of course, is DeAndre Ayton, who ended up at Arizona but had also been on Gassnola’s payroll. If those text messages don’t paint a pretty clear picture of Gassnola as a Kansas booster — by whatever definition you want to use — then he was sure putting up a good front. 

The way the NCAA enforcement staff connects the relationship between Self and Gassnola to illicit recruiting is both direct and damning.

That’s why Self punched back so hard Monday night, essentially accusing the NCAA of overreach to make a point at his expense. 

Opinion: NCAA's message to Bill Self: You're a cheater and we want you out of college basketball

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/09/24/bill-self-kansas-ncaa-says-youre-cheater-and-wants-you-out/2426693001/

59 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Opinion: NCAA's message to Bill Self: You're a cheater and we want you out of college basketball

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/09/24/bill-self-kansas-ncaa-says-youre-cheater-and-wants-you-out/2426693001/

Nothing will happen. UNC ran an entire fake academic department, Will Wade is still at LSU, Sean Miller is still at Arizona... So I'm highly skeptical.

• Upvote 1

Every now and then, the NCAA will try to make an example of someone, but I tend to agree with you.

Reminds me of the old joke among college coaches and AD's:  "The NCAA is so mad at what (insert big school) is doing, they threw the book at (insert small school)."

Which means Kansas will walk on this, then someone like Wichita State will get a 3-year probation for doing the same thing. 🙄

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Every now and then, the NCAA will try to make an example of someone, but I tend to agree with you.

Reminds me of the old joke among college coaches and AD's:  "The NCAA is so mad at what (insert big school) is doing, they threw the book at (insert small school)."

Which means Kansas will walk on this, then someone like Wichita State will get a 3-year probation for doing the same thing. 🙄

Tark...

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State.’’ Tarkanian uttered the famous quip after Kentucky and coach Eddie Sutton found themselves in the NCAA crosshairs. But the line has stood the test of time, emblematic of not only Tark’s battles with the organization but also of the long-held belief that the NCAA practices selective enforcement.

Tend to agree with Dr C, that this ends with a slap on the wrist of a couple game suspension or less.  However, this is a blow to Self's image.

Maybe Billy should just get a new hairpiece and grow a moustache....might just convince the NCAA that Kansas has someone new on the sidelines....😜

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Tark...

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky it will probably slap another two years probation on Cleveland State.’’ Tarkanian uttered the famous quip after Kentucky and coach Eddie Sutton found themselves in the NCAA crosshairs. But the line has stood the test of time, emblematic of not only Tark’s battles with the organization but also of the long-held belief that the NCAA practices selective enforcement.

Tend to agree with Dr C, that this ends with a slap on the wrist of a couple game suspension or less.  However, this is a blow to Self's image.

Great memory, ORUalum!

I wonder sometimes if the big boys get off simply because they can afford better lawyers (who, more often than not, are alums who either do it pro bono, or get luxury suites for life in return).

As always, follow the money....

Besides high powered (and expensive) lawyers, there are also well-heeled/connected alums... and CBS/ESPN who cannot afford to have too much turmoil with the top tier attractions (game rights) they spent billions to acquire.

Very doubtful Bill Self will survive this thing, though his job looks pretty safe for this season.

Who's going to be the next Kansas coach?

• Gregg Marshall from Wichita State?  Too many enemies in Lawrence?
  • Mark Few from Gonzaga?  Too entrenched? (just built multi-million $$ dream home)
  • Rick Barnes from Tennessee? (previously Texas)  Too old? (65)

Dark horse:  Matt Painter at Purdue.  But, too dull?

How about that Paul Mills from ORU???.....oh yeah....sub .500 record and probably not willing to cheat to win.....😬

I am still skeptical that a program like KU will be punished this severely given how recent "punishments" have played out.

Didn't ORU get probation for a couple years in the late 70's because somebody on staff bought  G Lionel Worrell some ties....😀😬😃

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:01 AM, Old Titan said:

Very doubtful Bill Self will survive this thing, though his job looks pretty safe for this season.

Who's going to be the next Kansas coach?

• Gregg Marshall from Wichita State?  Too many enemies in Lawrence?
  • Mark Few from Gonzaga?  Too entrenched? (just built multi-million $$ dream home)
  • Rick Barnes from Tennessee? (previously Texas)  Too old? (65)

Dark horse:  Matt Painter at Purdue.  But, too dull?

Since this won't go down till next spring/summer, I've got the perfect candidate, for all parties involved:

"Ladies & gentlemen, introducing the new head coach for your Kansas Jayhawks:  two-time national champion at Florida, and former head coach of the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder, Mr. Billy Donovan."